Air Compressor Replacement - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

View JoeNY's Photo Album My Photos
Air Compressor Replacement

The only tool I lost in hurricane Sandy was my 15 gallon Craftsman horizontal tank air compressor - due to space limitations, when I built the shop, the tank sat vertically with the motor/pump unit on the floor.
It has to fit in a space that is 17" deep, 26" long and 39" high. I would prefer oil-less because I do use it for spraying finishes.
It looks like my options are the 20 gallon Campbell Hausfield HJ300299DI, which is 20 gal, 200psi [email protected] 90 psi for $300 at Lowes or the Craftsman 20 gal vertical (relocating the motor/pump) that is 3.8 [email protected] 90 psi for $230.
Thoughts on which is a better and more durable unit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 02:23 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
would this work?

It's a little taller, but no mods: http://www.harborfreight.com/18-hors...sor-68067.html
I've had good luck with my horizontal HF compressor. Noisy, but good performance.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNY View Post
I would prefer oil-less because I do use it for spraying finishes.

I wouldn't disregard an oil lubed compressor just because you spray finishes. They are more quiet, and likely have a longer life. Because they are oil lubed doesn't mean that oil contaminates the air flow. Your setup can include a regulator and filter (away from the compressor), and a final disposable type bulb filter right on the gun. Proper setup, even for small areas can provide clean dry air.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-07-2013, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

woodnthings - what is the difference between the 26 gallon 1.8 hp model you link and their 17 gallon 1.8 hp model http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...sor-69666.html
The 17 gallon model is small enough to fit where I need it to go.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-07-2013, 09:20 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNY View Post
woodnthings - what is the difference between the 26 gallon 1.8 hp model you link and their 17 gallon 1.8 hp model www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/18-horsepower-17-gallon-150-psi-psi-oilless-air-compressor-69666.html
The 17 gallon model is small enough to fit where I need it to go.
The size of the buffer. In general a compressor with a smaller capacity tank will run more often than one with a larger capacity tank.

Whether this matters depends on your usage. Filling car types, blowing dust off things, etc. would not matter.

Trying to run a sprayer, or pneumatic tools it may matter.

If the footprint is the same, so it fits in your space, I would go with the larger tank. Only $20 more.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Decided to go with something I hope will be better than the Sears, Campbell Hausfeld and Harbor Freight units - Ingersoll Rand 20 gallon, 2 hp Garage Mate - http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com...rs/garage-mate
Rated at 5.2 cfm @ 90 psi, it has 30% more output than the other 20 gallon units.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 09:32 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I'm a big fan of Harbor Freight but I don't think much of their compressors. I had two different models which one I had to take back to the store for replacement shortly after buying it and they just don't last more than a year. On the other hand I have had a Speedair portable compressor and a Ingersol Rand T30 compressor which I have had since the early 1980 and are still using them.

I did buy a oil-less compressor one time because it was lighter and easier to load in my truck but after a month of listening to it I gave it away. I couldn't stand the noise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode