18v battery tools whats the best brand for professional use - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 29 Old 06-15-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

View 4m-customs's Photo Album My Photos
18v battery tools whats the best brand for professional use

Im currently looking to upgrade my battery tool set i got the old school dewalt set and i have been amazed at there duribility but now they are all old and worn out and i would realy like to get some lithium ion tools price is not a problem i use them all day every day and i want the best they offer i would prefer to get a set circular saw, sawzal, hammerdrill, and impact drill i gues an angle grinder would be nice to but i dont need it any sugestions ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 06-15-2012, 04:33 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4m-customs View Post
Im currently looking to upgrade my battery tool set i got the old school dewalt set and i have been amazed at there duribility but now they are all old and worn out and i would realy like to get some lithium ion tools price is not a problem i use them all day every day and i want the best they offer i would prefer to get a set circular saw, sawzal, hammerdrill, and impact drill i gues an angle grinder would be nice to but i dont need it any sugestions ??
Anytime you ask which is best it gets into everybodies fan club. If you have the deWalt tools and deWalt has lion batteries in the correct voltage and configuration. You can upgrade by just buying the batteries. Otherwise the name brands are all pretty good. I am currently using the Makita but the Ridgid with lifetime battery replacement looks awfully attractive.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #3 of 29 Old 06-15-2012, 04:38 PM
I hate tools

View cocheseuga's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4m-customs View Post
While I'm partial to my Ryobi system, and think they are fantastic for a homeowner, I'm not sure I'd recommend them to a pro. Not so much quality, as I have no beef there, but I think I might recommend the Ridgid simply due to their battery program. Most important part of the system, IMO, and you can't beat free replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 06-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Woodenboat Builder

View gstanfield's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know this for fact, but reading through several of the rigid reviews on homedepot's website it seems that to get the repalcement warranty you have to send the entire package back to them, not just swap the battery!

Of course that's just coming from people who claim to have tried to swap them under warranty, I have no clue if it is true or not (same with anything I read online...)

I do know that my Makita and Milwaukee tools are incredible and I have had no battery issues at all! Heck even my 19.2V Craftsman tools that get used almost daily are still holding a good charge after 5 years which leads me to believe that as long as you care for them properly any of the big names will last a long time.

George

I Peter 2:17
post #5 of 29 Old 06-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Turning Wood Into Art

View DaveTTC's Photo Album My Photos
I had the old school DeWalt. Heavy but kept going. The reciprisaw seemed to be oversized for the battery, only ever got one cut but maybe it was my battery. Batteries lasted on drills and drivers but struggled with hammer drill too.

I have now gone a complete package with Makita.

Impact driver X 3
Medium size drill, 2 speed
Rattle gun (only thing I have not used yet)
Collated screw gun
Reciprisaw
Circular saw
Angle grinder
Jig saw
Lantern X 3

Compound Mitre Saw

Love em all, should have done it a long time ago. It is amazing how handy an 18 volt mitre saw is.

Dave The Turning Cowboy

DaveTTC

The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood into Art
post #6 of 29 Old 06-15-2012, 06:05 PM

View 65BAJA's Photo Album My Photos
I have a cordless 19.2V Craftsman drill, saw and light. Just bought new batteries for them after 6 years. Works as good as new now. That being said if I was in the market for a new drill I would go Milwaukee Ion.
post #7 of 29 Old 06-15-2012, 08:07 PM

View FourEyes45's Photo Album My Photos
I've had bad luck with the DeWalt. batteries, the next time I buy I think I will try the Ridgid line...

Have a Safe Day and GOD Bless.
Walt
post #8 of 29 Old 06-15-2012, 09:42 PM

View haugerm's Photo Album My Photos
I have several Ridgid cordless tools, the initial Lithium 18 volt line. I have to say I love them. Plenty of power, quick batter charges, and they just feel good in your hand. And the free batteries for life program is great. I've replaced two of my batteries with no hassle whatsoever, and that alone has made Ridgid a worthwhile purchase for me. You DO NOT have to send in the whole set to get replacements.

That being said, I don't know if I'd recommend them for professional use, or at least I'd ask you about your climate. The batteries I have do not work in freezing weather. Building a deck in the winter was an exercise in frustration. Maybe they've fixed this issue in the newer versions. I don't know. Maybe this is a problem for all lithium batteries. Beats me. But if you do a lot of outside work in cold weather, it's something to think about before your purchase.

--Matt
post #9 of 29 Old 06-15-2012, 10:43 PM
Woodenboat Builder

View gstanfield's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
...You DO NOT have to send in the whole set to get replacements
Good to know. I'm guessing the guys who posted that on the reviews online are either writing fiction or maybe they ran into a store employee who gave them bad info.

George

I Peter 2:17
post #10 of 29 Old 06-15-2012, 11:10 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
whats the best brand for professional use

Milwaukee.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #11 of 29 Old 06-15-2012, 11:27 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdntrdr View Post
Milwaukee.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #12 of 29 Old 06-16-2012, 12:17 AM

View jigs-n-fixtures's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4m-customs
I just decided to stay with Dewalt's 18-volt line. Just because of the depth and breadth of the tool selection. Who else has a side grinder and metal cutting bandsaw In their line up?

Also, Dewalts' li-on 18-volt batteries can be used with the old tools. So I decided it made the most sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
post #13 of 29 Old 06-16-2012, 06:57 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstanfield View Post
... which leads me to believe that as long as you care for them properly any of the big names will last a long time.
+1. I find that to be the case. The higher voltage...18V and higher may be somewhat better, but I don't really notice a difference. I was very impressed with a 14.4 VSR drill with L-Ion that has sufficient power, holds a charge when not used, and is much lighter than the larger ones. This is a great benefit if it's being used for an extended period of time.

post #14 of 29 Old 06-16-2012, 07:30 AM

View burkhome's Photo Album My Photos
I sell Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita, etc. In our area Dewalt takes the cake for preference by contractors. Milwaukee is the second choice. I suspect the little higher price probably plays into that. For what it is worth, My Dewalt sales rep says that for heavy use you are better off with the NiCd batteries than the LiIon. Not my opinion...just information from sales rep.

Roger from the Great Horicon Swamp
post #15 of 29 Old 06-16-2012, 02:25 PM

View Longknife's Photo Album My Photos
I've always had the belief that bigger is better when it comes to cordless drills but 6 months ago I bought a 12V Milwaukee and I must say I love it. It has a very handy size, quite enough torque and with three batteries that charges in 30 min I've never yet been standing without power no matter how much I use it. For the toughest screw jobs I have a 10.8 V Black & Decker impact drill in the same handy size.
Now the heavy 18V drills stand out as dinosaurs and I'll never go back to them.

post #16 of 29 Old 06-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longknife View Post
I've always had the belief that bigger is better when it comes to cordless drills but 6 months ago I bought a 12V Milwaukee and I must say I love it. It has a very handy size, quite enough torque and with three batteries that charges in 30 min I've never yet been standing without power no matter how much I use it. For the toughest screw jobs I have a 10.8 V Black & Decker impact drill in the same handy size.
+1. I agree.

post #17 of 29 Old 06-16-2012, 03:10 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I agree, however, I cannot say I will never use the larger models.

A year ago I bought a Craftsman 12v Nextec drill. This is a great little drill, as are its companbion 12 volt units. (I also have the multi tool and a small light that all use the same battery.)

However, just yesterday I needed the 20v drill that sits next to it on the shelf. This drill does not get used a lot, but it still has it's moments.

George
post #18 of 29 Old 06-16-2012, 05:22 PM

View panzer's Photo Album My Photos
I heard that Metabo has a very nice cordless drill but I've also had my Dewalt for 10 years with no issues. Milwaukee's have had a few battery issues but they do stand behind their products.
post #19 of 29 Old 06-16-2012, 08:50 PM

View haugerm's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Last year I finally picked up a nice 12 volt bosch that was on sale. After hearing so many good things about the new lines of 12 volts, I thought it would pretty much replace my 18 volts. As it turns out, not even close.

Don't get me wrong, the 12 volt is nice and it gets used frequently, but it turns out I do plenty of stuff (much more than I ever realized) where the 12 volt just doesn't cut it. My 18 volt Ridgid is still my go to drill.

So think about what you do with it. Don't waste money on even a really nice 12 volt, if it's not going to do what you want it to do.

--Matt
post #20 of 29 Old 06-17-2012, 12:02 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Anytime you ask which is best it gets into everybodies fan club. If you have the deWalt tools and deWalt has lion batteries in the correct voltage and configuration. You can upgrade by just buying the batteries. Otherwise the name brands are all pretty good. I am currently using the Makita but the Ridgid with lifetime battery replacement looks awfully attractive.
See sounds good and I have been a Dewalt fan but they got me upset with that battery thing. Dewalt, PC, and a few others redesign the batteries so you can't use an older drill with the new batteries.

I Know Ryobi, I think Rigid and Milwaukee you can buy a new battery and use it with the old drills. The advantage is you will have an extra drill if you buy a new kit. I have a Dewalt 12V drill that I need to either buy new old style batteries or throw it away.

Tags
battery, cordless

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode