What about a wanted section? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 23 Old 01-16-2007, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
What about a wanted section?

We are getting new members all the time. Kevin mentioned one mans trash may be anothers treasure, I am paraphrasing. I have more stuff laying around than is worth listing... but if a fellow member is looking for something and I have it I am willing to work out a swap.
How about if a guy is looking for a small piece of turning stock, small chunk of a certain kinda wood or an old tool/part they list it and we see if we all can work things out that way ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-16-2007, 08:31 PM

View Big Dave's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Dave
Sounds great to me. I guess if someone is looking for something that is woodworking related then just ask if anyone has it. Nathan would be the one to rearrange the layout.

Do one thing at a time, do it well, then move on.
www.bigdaveswoodworks.com
post #3 of 23 Old 01-16-2007, 09:32 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
I like the idea too. I listed some potential opportunities ealier in the classifieds that would have fit in a wanted section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 01-16-2007, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

I was just thinking small, but it could be bigger, brothers giving leads on local sales/work etc. I am just used to being a small fish in a big pond in the wood business, kinda hard to sell wood to a guy who has his own sawmill. I forget some times we don't all have one . I sure don't have all the old planes, chisels and a decent brace and bit I would like to have. I am looking for old steel.

I guess that is the first post in the wanted section. I will trade curly maple/ old growth 1/4 sawn oak/ wicked walnut.... for your old tools. I am specifically looking for a decent profile plane. I have a top of the line router/bits and table...but. I am weird (?) that takes the fun out of a "handbuilt" piece.

Whatcha got? Watcha looking for? Check out my gallery, I have some decent wood.

Last edited by Daren; 01-16-2007 at 11:21 PM.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-16-2007, 11:26 PM

View Nathan's Photo Album My Photos
I'm fine with people posting wanted items in the classifieds. Would that work?

Nathan

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
post #6 of 23 Old 01-17-2007, 11:39 PM

View Kirk Allen's Photo Album My Photos
I suspect what they want is a For Sale section and a Wanted section that is a dedicated to those specific categories. Sounds great for all the sites!
post #7 of 23 Old 01-18-2007, 12:57 AM

View Plowboy's Photo Album My Photos
I think this is a good idea. I was just asked today by another BBQ guy for "saw dust" to put in his smoker. Seems alittle too fine for a wood smoker, but that's his call.

Any problem posting Wanted items for non members like in my example? As long as it isn't spam of course.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-18-2007, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
I think this is a good idea. I was just asked today by another BBQ guy for "saw dust" to put in his smoker. Seems alittle too fine for a wood smoker, but that's his call.
Maybe it is one of those little electric smokers. I know my brother used to make jerky in one and he used chips like I sent you. Alot of locals smoke game/foul/fish in those little bitty smokers and they come around here for stuff like that. Not sawdust, that does seem light, but finely chipped wood.
post #9 of 23 Old 01-28-2007, 11:12 AM

View coffeetime's Photo Album My Photos
I'd like a barter section. Where you can trade items or work for items. I have some cedar pen blanks, would like to trade for some other kind pen blanks. Also I would offer machining or embrodiery up for barter.
What say you all?

Mike
post #10 of 23 Old 01-28-2007, 05:50 PM
Forgotten but not gone

The classifieds do encompass For Sale, Wanted, and For Trade or even just make the title reflect your intent.
This is the current policy and really that is the purpose of the title section, to be a snapshot of the content.
Thanks for the suggestion!
post #11 of 23 Old 01-28-2007, 07:08 PM

View jpw23's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren View Post
I was just thinking small, but it could be bigger, brothers giving leads on local sales/work etc. I am just used to being a small fish in a big pond in the wood business, kinda hard to sell wood to a guy who has his own sawmill. I forget some times we don't all have one . I sure don't have all the old planes, chisels and a decent brace and bit I would like to have. I am looking for old steel.

I guess that is the first post in the wanted section. I will trade curly maple/ old growth 1/4 sawn oak/ wicked walnut.... for your old tools. I am specifically looking for a decent profile plane. I have a top of the line router/bits and table...but. I am weird (?) that takes the fun out of a "handbuilt" piece.

Whatcha got? Watcha looking for? Check out my gallery, I have some decent wood.
I don't know much about that box elder stuff you had...that is a hard wood right? If so, it would make a wonderful solid body guitar.....whats your take on this?

Save a tree...eat a beaver!
post #12 of 23 Old 01-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Forgotten but not gone

I don't know who you are asking but my take is that it's a great idea! In fact I thought about making elec guitar blanks out of it.
post #13 of 23 Old 01-28-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTimbers View Post
I don't know who you are asking but my take is that it's a great idea! In fact I thought about making elec guitar blanks out of it.
Daren had showed a few pics of some box elder.....I probably should have gone to the right forum.....but, I am willing to buy some of that!

post #14 of 23 Old 01-29-2007, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Here it is right here http://www.powdercreeksawmill.com/ You would have to ask Kevin about the heart shaped pieces, I think they are VERY VERY RARE, so he may have sold them. But what a flying V those would make.

I'm sure he could scare up a killer slab for a guitar body or 2, even though wood like the one in the slab picture is pretty hard to find.

I personally think that is a great idea, if I'm not mistaken it's in the maple family. How thick is a solid body blank ? 2 1/4" ? I would imagine there are many guitar makers who would KILL for something like that, totally unique. The "starburst" color is IN the grain.
Attached Images

Last edited by Daren; 01-29-2007 at 06:41 AM.
post #15 of 23 Old 01-29-2007, 07:15 AM

That would make a beautiful guitar!!!!

post #16 of 23 Old 01-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Forgotten but not gone

Yea that heart shaped one I wish I had not sold now that my wife got a lathe; it's arriving any day. I doubt I can ever find another but I always have an eye out for one.

I have stayed in touch with the guy who bought it and he's gonna let me post a picture of it on my website after he turns it for his wife's V-Day present.

I do have have quite a bit of the RBE harvested and in the shop sealed. I haven't been promoting it been busy frying other fish, but I have still been getting orders for it from past ebay listsings and people whostumble across my website so I am still taking orders.

I Would be happy to try and get you the piece you are looking for. PM me your requirments and I'll go a hunting.
post #17 of 23 Old 03-02-2007, 10:45 AM

View eezlock's Photo Album My Photos
wanted section?

Sounds like a great idea to me...would like to see some really good stuff listed for sale or stuff needed to buy.
I posted a want to buy item on NC woodworker forum a few days ago
that I wanted....no hits so far. I wanted to buy a plunge base for a
Dewalt 616 or 618 router....seems as if none for sale. New price from Dewalt is WAY out of reason in my opinion! eezlock
post #18 of 23 Old 03-09-2007, 07:32 PM

View kingsix's Photo Album My Photos
Great idea!
post #19 of 23 Old 03-27-2007, 05:34 PM

View mike p's Photo Album My Photos
A Wanted Section Would Be Nice
post #20 of 23 Old 10-23-2007, 02:44 PM

View JGarth's Photo Album My Photos
Wanted section would be very nice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode