Mesquite available - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 03-08-2008, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

View BlueStingray's Photo Album My Photos
Mesquite available

Mesquite available from Rio Grande Valley. I mill it myself, any intrests please email me.

4/4, 8/4, 12/4, 16/4, bowl, pen, post blanks. Whatever you need, as long as I can find trees to mill. There may be waits in some cases.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-11-2008, 11:21 AM

View Richard's Photo Album My Photos
Just out of curiosity. Where do you guy find trees to mill? Do you just drive around and say Oh here is is nice tree I think I'll cut it down and sell its lumber.

Not tring to insult any one here just a want to know question.

Thinks

Richard
post #3 of 17 Old 03-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
The vast majority of my lumber comes from ranchers who are going to bulldoze a tract of woods and turn it into pastureland. I save it from the fire and someone gets to turn it into something beautiful.

Richard if you eat beef it is your fault these trees are getting dozed. Eat more chicken, venison, and fish. It is better for you anyhow.

The Mesquite and the Cedars are the bane of every rancher and farmer in this part of the country. They are free for the taking. Knock on a door and ask for them and they are yours. The response you will usually get - in general - is something like :

"We've been meanin to doze that *** acres anyhow - have all you want just push the mess up into a pile when your done. Throw a pile of mesquite twigs out behind the house if you don't mind we need some more for smokin come spring. . . ."

Same goes for all hardwoods in these parts. This is farm and cattle country. Trees are a hinderance to them. God bless farmer and ranchers. And God bless beef eaters like you (and me) too, Richard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-11-2008, 02:35 PM

I have to eat more beef. I have to do more on my part. I'm BBQing some steak tips tonight for dinner. No veggies for me:D.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-11-2008, 02:36 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Do you just drive around and say Oh here is is nice tree I think I'll cut it down and sell its lumber.
That's what I do, I carry a chainsaw with me at all times looking for innocent trees to kill. And a club for those darn baby seals. Here is an explanation (if you feel like taking the time) of my logging operation. http://nelsonwoodworks.biz/pb/wp_1b6...64051574811405
I know that was a sincere question Richard, I am not mocking you, just having fun.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-11-2008, 02:48 PM

I didn't know there were that many trees that need to be rescue and turn into usable lumber . I just bought about 100bf of cedar too. I'm going to have to find me a cattle rancher with trees .

Thanks for the information, learn something new everyday.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-11-2008, 03:00 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Cool. How much do you get per BF for 4/4" and 8/4"?
post #8 of 17 Old 03-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Forgotten but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotscott View Post
Cool. How much do you get per BF for 4/4" and 8/4"?
Since I get free trees - I feel it is my duty to balance the equation out by charging an order of magnitude more for them as lumber. It's a Ying Yang thang ya know. If I had to pay for them, I would have to use the same pricing schedule as all the guys who are paying for trees.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-12-2008, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Richard, I go to city hall find out where the construction is taking place, then take a drive to see if anything is being uprooted. You know mesquite grows like weeds and also needs to be trimmed removed etc.
Driving and choosing is a thing of the past, everything is owned now so if you see a excellent tree for lumber you would need to ask permission and around here practiclly nobody is parting with best firewood for cookout, since I live in city. A rancher is always a good freind.

Knotscott, up to 8" - 12" wide $10-$12bf. wider than 12" $16bf and 18 or more $25bf.
But it also depends on the piece or quality and if I have enough $$ for bills that month etc.

What TT says, it all depends, I would like for whoever whats some to have it, or its negotiable.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-12-2008, 11:47 AM

Thanks for the information Bluestingray. I was just curious as to how people get the trees. Like you said everything is owned somebody.
post #11 of 17 Old 03-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Forgotten but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStingray View Post
. . . What TT says, it all depends, I would like for whoever whats some to have it, or its negotiable . . .
Aw c'mon ya had to know I was being a nut. BTW I had a potential buyer looking for some wide Mesquite and I said I couldn't provide stuff that wide except rarely because I don't come across many big ones here, but that you lived in the heart of big Mesquite country. I sent him your way.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-12-2008, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks cheif.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-12-2008, 06:57 PM

View joasis's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren View Post
That's what I do, I carry a chainsaw with me at all times looking for innocent trees to kill. And a club for those darn baby seals. Here is an explanation (if you feel like taking the time) of my logging operation. http://nelsonwoodworks.biz/pb/wp_1b6...64051574811405
I know that was a sincere question Richard, I am not mocking you, just having fun.
I still think that would be a scary picture Daren...you and a chainsaw at the front door, with a gleam in your eye.

Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma

www.sawmillandtimberforum.com/

post #14 of 17 Old 03-12-2008, 07:20 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by joasis View Post
I still think that would be a scary picture Daren...you and a chainsaw at the front door, with a gleam in your eye.
I bet it would get a log or 2 (or just get me thrown in jail ) Nah, I take them once they are down. It's been 3 (?) years since the last time I even felled tree, that was on my own property. If I didn't take the ones I do now they would be burned up as trash, pity.

Are you saying this is something your average citizen would not want to see on their doorstep ?

post #15 of 17 Old 03-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Forgotten but not gone

I think it's the sly grin. You look like you are about to enjoy what you are fixin to cut, but your back is turned to the tree - so it ain't the tree you're after . . . . .
post #16 of 17 Old 03-12-2008, 08:00 PM

View joasis's Photo Album My Photos
I can see it now...."crazed urban logger attacks innocent tree, jailed for assault, news at 6" or....."housewife calls police, says crazy man with a chainsaw was outside her home, oogling a tree damaged in last week's storm".....

Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma

www.sawmillandtimberforum.com/

post #17 of 17 Old 03-12-2008, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

If I saw dat outside my front door........I throw out some candy. LOL Just pokin fun Darren: )
Seriously though,
It would have to be 15min after sunrise, for a long day of bringing home the bacon.
Yea! I'll bring home nothing less than 2-3 full grown trees!

Ayy, I'll invite next day for the milling and the 3rd day for the cutoff bbq'n

God bless!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode