For Sale Custom knives - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 25 Old 10-31-2015, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Custom knives

As promised, im selling a few of the knives i posted in one of my other threads. Prices listed next to description, with an extra $6 for shipping not factored in

Wharncliffe style blade, 3 inch blade, 7.25 inches long overall. Handle material is stabilized Walnut. $25

Drop point blade measuring 4 inches long, 8 inches overall. More stabilized Walnut for the handle material. $25

Aggressive clip-point style blade measuring roughly 4.25 inches long, 8.75 inches long overall. Stabilized walnut handle scales, with brass bolsters. $50

Ands lastly, the pièce de résistance, a 3.5 inch drop-point blade, 8 inches long overall. Handles scales are, you guessed it, stabilized walnut, with both front and rear bolsters in brass. $50

If anybody has any further questions on any of the blades, feel free to shoot me a PM and ill be happy to answer any questions you may have. I wish i could divulge what type of steel was used in the blades, but unfortunately i dont know the alloy, being that the steel came from old saw blades. I will say that the knive all took a razor sharp, shaving ready edge, and a quick-and-dirty test with a file seems to put the sharpness at the edge around 58-60rc, but i cant say anything for certain about the steel, other than its high-carbon, non-stainless and very sharp.

I am also willing to do custom jobs, in case youve got a knife design youve always wanted but cant find, but obviously i cant slap a picture or price on that in this thread...

Cheers!

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-05-2015, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Still available if anybody's interested. I'll entertain reasonable offers

I need cheaper hobby
post #3 of 25 Old 11-06-2015, 07:55 PM

View mikeswoods's Photo Album My Photos
Two are sold---I think--(to me!)
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeswoods For This Useful Post:
BigJim (11-06-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 11-06-2015, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Knives numbered 3 and 4 are taken by Mike, cheers mate!

Numbers 1 and 2 are still up for grabs though

I need cheaper hobby
post #5 of 25 Old 11-06-2015, 08:54 PM

I'm a happy camper!
post #6 of 25 Old 11-08-2015, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Almost forgot to add, knife #1 is gone as well! In a completely unrelated note, mike is my new favorite person

Knife number 2 is a little lonely now that all his friends are gone. Anybody looking to adopt?

I need cheaper hobby
post #7 of 25 Old 11-18-2015, 10:46 PM

Just bumping this---My Christmas gifts are due in a couple of day---
post #8 of 25 Old 11-19-2015, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Assuming the post office is actually doing there job properly you should have it either last night or early this morning, either way, thanks again!

I need cheaper hobby
post #9 of 25 Old 11-22-2015, 11:09 AM

The knives have arrived---looking great----it sure is nice to have something that I watched being made----
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeswoods For This Useful Post:
OnealWoodworking (11-22-2015)
post #10 of 25 Old 11-22-2015, 10:14 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
A few years ago I was looking for a custom maker who could make knife handles using deer antlers. May have a follow on requirement in the future. Do you do that type of work.

George
post #11 of 25 Old 11-23-2015, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
A few years ago I was looking for a custom maker who could make knife handles using deer antlers. May have a follow on requirement in the future. Do you do that type of work.

George
Ill admit ive yet to work with antler, but from what ive heard it behaves similarly to some of the denser exotics, ironwood and the like, which i do have some experience working with. Besides, im always up for a new challenge, so feel free to shoot me a pm if youd like!

I need cheaper hobby
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (11-29-2015)
post #12 of 25 Old 12-31-2015, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Few more on the chopping block! First up is this little number:

Rather simple, slim drop point blade. 1084 steel, hardened to roughly Rc56-57 with a brushed finish. Padauk handle scales, finished with a coast of wax. Also includes hand made leather sheath. Measures roughly 8.5 inches tip to tang, with about 4 inches of that being harp edge. I figure $75 sounds about fair for this one

Next up:

Smaller blade, roughly 7.5 inches in length with a 3.25ish inch blade. 1084 steel, roughly rc56-57. Handle scales are cocobolo. No sheath for this one, as it intended to be a paring knife for kitchen use, however im more than happy to fabricate a sheath if you have a different purpose in mind. Want more than one so you have a matching set of steak knives? Just ask, more than happy to make a few to match. Asking $50 for this one

Now, these next 2 arent technically for sale, but im going to go ahead and post them anyway. First up is this guy:

Drop point blade, 8 inches long with a 4 inch cutting edge. Once again 1084 steel, roundabouts 56-57rc hardness. Handle scales are mahogany finished with linseed oil, flanked by a brass bolster and butt. Now, i say this one isnt technically for sale yet because i havent finished the sheath. Once i get that made up ill update this with the finished pictures, with both the sheath included and the knife once its cleaned up. Once that happens though, the asking price will be $100

Lastly, we have this:

Now, this once is finished but isnt for sale. This one actually is making its way to our own woodnthings, who commissioned the design. Its a skinner knife, with a blade roughly 3.5 inches long (i think, i forgot to measure) and an overall length of a little over 8 inches if memory serves correctly. The handle scales on this one are some absolutely lovely Honduran rosewood that woodnthings was fantastic enough to send me.

Now, i can hear some of you asking "well, if its not for sale whyd you post it in the classifieds?", to which i respond because im selling the design. If you like this blade style, shoot me a line, im more than happy to grind out another. Im actually working on a second in this same style at this moment. Beyond that, im also selling the fact that im more than happy to take commissions for whatever style youd like, just shoot me a line and we can work something out.

A note on pricing: Im posting what i feel are fair prices for these knives, based on the materials and time i have put into them. If you disagree with my assessment of value, id be more than happy to entertain a reasonable offer, provided you can explain your reasoning as to your offer. Please note, however, that a reasonable offer is not "$5 and a pack of gum because i can pick up a knife at walmart for that price". Thats not an offer, thats an insult.

Completely unrelated side-note, but any mods reading this, would i be allowed to post a link to something like an etsy shop for these to make purchasing easier, or would that violate forum rules?

I need cheaper hobby
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
BigJim (01-03-2016), mikeswoods (01-03-2016), woodnthings (12-31-2015)
post #13 of 25 Old 01-03-2016, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Got the last one finished up

Got the sheath finished up for the last of the last batch, so shes ready for a new home now. If youll excuse me repeating myself, this ones 8 inches long with a 4 inch blade, made from 1/8 1084 steel. Mahagony handle scales with brass bolster and butt. The sheath is hand-stitched leather, dyed and finished, with brass hardware. Again, the aking price for this one is $100 for the kit.

The other knives are still available as well

I need cheaper hobby
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (01-03-2016)
post #14 of 25 Old 01-07-2016, 12:29 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Man, those are some beeeeautiful knives. Didn't you have an article how you prepped the wood to make your handles?

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #15 of 25 Old 01-07-2016, 02:15 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
beautiful is right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Man, those are some beeeeautiful knives. Didn't you have an article how you prepped the wood to make your handles?
My knife arrived 2 days ago and it is beautiful. Very nice metal, wood and leather work and an all around great knife. It is also extremely sharp and cut the top off a cardboard shoe box like a razor knife. I've shown it to friends and they are equally impressed. Thanks, Eric.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (03-22-2016)
post #16 of 25 Old 01-07-2016, 02:35 AM
Ole Woodworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
My knife arrived 2 days ago and it is beautiful. Very nice metal, wood and leather work and an all around great knife. It is also extremely sharp and cut the top off a cardboard shoe box like a razor knife. I've shown it to friends and they are equally impressed. Thanks, Eric.

I know you do like that one Bill, it is a beautiful knife.

The Other
BigJim

post #17 of 25 Old 01-07-2016, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Quote:
Somewhere around here yeah, there's a write-up on how I stabilize my wood. Didn't do it on these though, as there'd be no benefit to it. All the woods used on this second batch were oily, rot resistant woods, and fairly dimensionally stable

Quote:

Who's Eric? glad you like it mate, I really did enjoy working on that one. It was a fun shape to grind out and finish up, and that rosewood was a joy to work. Any plans for a finish one the wood, or you just gonna keep it natural?

Quote:
I know you do like that one Bill, it is a beautiful knife.
Well Jim, I've got another one of those sitting on my bench right now, waiting for finishing. I can put your name on it if you want...

I need cheaper hobby
post #18 of 25 Old 01-07-2016, 11:45 AM
Ole Woodworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Somewhere around here yeah, there's a write-up on how I stabilize my wood. Didn't do it on these though, as there'd be no benefit to it. All the woods used on this second batch were oily, rot resistant woods, and fairly dimensionally stable

Who's Eric? glad you like it mate, I really did enjoy working on that one. It was a fun shape to grind out and finish up, and that rosewood was a joy to work. Any plans for a finish one the wood, or you just gonna keep it natural?

Well Jim, I've got another one of those sitting on my bench right now, waiting for finishing. I can put your name on it if you want...
Thanks buddy, I appreciate it but mama has other plans for right now. LOL

The Other
BigJim

post #19 of 25 Old 01-07-2016, 07:51 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
LOL. Eric vs Epic ....

I know what I did now. I'm so used to seeing epic in front of fail, I just automatically wrote your name as Eric. Sorry 'bout that Chris.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #20 of 25 Old 01-08-2016, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Quote:
I know what I did now. I'm so used to seeing epic in front of fail, I just automatically wrote your name as Eric. Sorry 'bout that Chris.
No worries mate, I figured autocorrect got you. Just couldn't pass up the opportunity to rib you for it

I need cheaper hobby

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode