Are you brand specific? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 11-10-2006, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

View Big Dave's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Dave
Are you brand specific?

In other words do you buy only one brand of tools. Me personally I am brand specific to a degree. For Sanders and Routers I only buy Porter Cable. Cordless tools I buy Dewalt. I have a Dewalt Miter Saw and love it and would buy another. Those are just a few for starters. How about you?

Do one thing at a time, do it well, then move on.
www.bigdaveswoodworks.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-10-2006, 07:25 PM

View SawDustJack's Photo Album My Photos
I prefer DeWalt and PC as well .. Got one of the first 18volt DW cordless kits that came out , and jeesh how many years later , its all still going strong .. Only waste is the circ saw , its a joke for anything bigger than trim or luan .. When we put the steel roof on the house , probably 4000 SF of roofing , the DW drill ran all day on two batteries running screws ..

Was given two Craftsman 19.2v drills and batteries and charger , danged if I dont think they're stouter than the DW

Also was given a PC drill with two batteries and a charger , either the batteries have died or the drill has died , since it was free , is no loss ..
post #3 of 16 Old 11-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Rob

View Rob's Photo Album My Photos
I really haven't been married to any one manufacturer for all the tools. I do a lot of research before buying something I know has to perform to my specifications.
The router table had to have the big PC router.
The other 3 handhelds are Bosch...love 'em.
Like Jack, I have 2 Craftsman 19.2 drills which I can't break. They also were gifts and I'll put them up against any others out there.
Left handed circular saw by PC. Bought that based on reviews.
Miter Finder...Bosch...only one of its kind. (one great tool)
Flush cut saw ...Bosch..another great tool.
Recip saw...Makita
Jigsaw...Dewalt
Hammer Drill... Milwaukee
Air nailers by Dewalt/PC/Bostitch
Most of the stationary power tools are Delta...Delta Rockwell
The upgraded SCMS looks like it's gonna be a Bosch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 11-10-2006, 08:29 PM

OOpps forgot the Milwaukee shop radio that was a gift , and the Craftsman cordless sawzall , that was a freebee too ( my wife is a junk dealer , and people are all the time giving us stuff ) that baby will run right up there with my Makita corded .. it actually is easier to use and as powerful ..
Craftsman shaper is a hoss , got it , a tray full of bits and a Ryobi 6 1/8" jointer for $130 , the jointer is fast becoming a pain in the butt ..
Then there's the old radial arm saw that only needs a switch ($10 with a table ) , and I cant figger how to operate it with out coming down with minus digitallis ..
Delta Planer is a BIG surprise , like the DeWalt , but couldnt justify $80 more , and the Delta CMS is a mainstay as well ..
Now if someone would give us a MM16 , I would be a HAPPY MAN

Last edited by SawDustJack; 11-10-2006 at 08:32 PM. Reason: forgot sumpthin' else
post #5 of 16 Old 11-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
In other words do you buy only one brand of tools. ..?
Nope!
Makes no sense at all to me but to each his own.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-10-2006, 10:08 PM

View Painter Paul's Photo Album My Photos
Yes, at least up to now I have been partial to brand, for a few reasons.

Hand tools have been Dewalt. 18 volt and 110 volt. Reason: they are just fine.

Machinery has been Grizzly. Reason: quality vs. price… absolutely no complaints with their small shaper, 8” jointer, and 15” planer. I just received one of their table saws (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1023SLWX) but haven’t uncrated it yet.

But there are exceptions.

My 19” bandsaw is Jet.

I have a 30 year old Craftsman 10” RAS that has served me well since I was a kid, but will very likely opt for the Delta 10” RAS at some point (if the deal is right).

Machinery:

After longing for the W&H moulder for years, and after a long research period, I will be ordering the ShopFox moulder (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0488) instead. Machine and knives are identical to the W&H. For an informative discussion on this machine, please see (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29695)

I have never been partial to Makita, but recently purchased their 18 volt NiCad impact driver. It’s less than half the size/weight of my Dewalt 18 volt drill, and will drive a screw to China! For finesse work, I will likely stick with the Dewalt.

Routers:

Porter Cable all the way. After their 1.5 horse and their legendary #7518 3.25 horse routers, I’ll not go back to anything else.

PC makes a better circular saw now than my Dewalt. But I don’t care. There are many superior and much higher priced machines than Grizzly machines, but I don’t care. My Griz’ serve me well.

Paul
post #7 of 16 Old 11-10-2006, 10:42 PM

View radar67's Photo Album My Photos
For circular saws, I'm partial to the Skil HD77. I couldn't ask for a better saw. It will take a beating and be right there when you need it. My lathe is a JET and I' leaning toward Grizzley for my planer and bandsaw.
post #8 of 16 Old 11-11-2006, 09:15 AM

View Kirk Allen's Photo Album My Photos
I tend to lean towards Bosch for my cordless tools. I have the 24V version and have been quite pleased.

The drill finally gave up the ghost last week after about 5 years of constant use. The new one I ordered has replacable brushes that can be swapped out in less than two minutes from an access panel on the drill.

As far as shop tools, Delta would be my primary, (table saw, jointer, 15" planer) but I also have a 1918 Cresent 30" planer, 1920 Cresent 15" planer, Lagunah band saw, and a Rockwell lathe.

Corded tools are Porter cable for routers and sanders, Milwaukee for the sawsall, and a mix of older crafstman saws and drills.

I may be mistaken, but I think Black and Decker now ownes Delta, Porter Cable, Dewalt and one other. At least that is what i was told at the service center for Delta.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-11-2006, 02:42 PM

Not sure about BD owning PC , but they definetly own DW , have for many years ..
post #10 of 16 Old 11-11-2006, 02:55 PM

View Kirk Allen's Photo Album My Photos
The service center I ordered parts from for my Delta planer is use to be a outlet store for Delta and Porter Cable. I was hoping to get another rebuilt router and to my surprise they no longer sell rebuilt units at the corporate service centers. They said that is the new policy from Black & Decker.

The only place to find any rebuit units are now the retail outlets that carry those brands.
post #11 of 16 Old 11-11-2006, 04:19 PM
Forgotten but not gone

Robert Bosch GmbH owns Bosch and a multitude of other successful and diversified companies throughout the world, like their motor vehicle parts comapny and aerospace divisins ad infinitum. Including a little comapny called Skil.

Delta owns Biesmeyer, and B & D owns Delta, Dewalt, Porter Cable, and don't quoite me on this but I think they own Kwikset Lock and a plumbing company too like Price Phister? Maybe not need a Google search on that.

Techtronics Industries owns Milwaukee, Ryobi, and Rigid

Hitachi owns Hitachi and huge chunks of other varied companies throughout the world much the same way Robert Bosch GmbH does. Hitachi is one of my favorite comapnies. So is Bosch. But I am not a brand man i am a feature and performance man.

Makita owns Makita or so I have always assumed.

Panasonic is owned by Matsu****a. They own a ton of stuff too.

When you buy stocks they say to buy stock from companies whose products you use. When you do you learn who buys who in those dozens of weekly "cpourtesy" emails you get from brokers who want your business.

I don't know who owns Fein, Festool, or other Uro brands really. i suppose they own themselves most of them do.

DISCLAIMER: Do not invest in companies based on this information I do not claim it to be 100% accurate!
post #12 of 16 Old 11-13-2006, 01:08 PM

View Duncan's Photo Album My Photos
My shop is like a DeWalt showroom!

Reason - my good friend Ged has the local power tools store and he gets in DeWalt's 'reworks' ie tools that have been returned to DeWalt by the big stores. They are checked & sent out again with full warranty at around half price to selected dealers. At least this is the system in England.

For machinery I like to stick with Wadkin - big English cast iron machines that literally last forever - most of mine are between 30 & 40 years old and run perfectly.
post #13 of 16 Old 11-13-2006, 01:38 PM

View garyni's Photo Album My Photos
cant go wrong with the big names,
dewalt, bosch, panasonic
you will never buy anything more expensive than a cheap tool !!!
learnt that the hard way.
buy cheap buy twice !!
post #14 of 16 Old 11-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Forgotten but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyni View Post
buy cheap buy twice !!
I have a customer that told me he picked me to do his remodel (2002) because I was the highest bidder. Lowest bid was just under $40K (it was way too low he would not have finished the job and customer knew it) and two other bids in mid 50s and my bid was $61K. I asked him why he picked me and he said because your reputatioin checked out and he said ".....and because good meat ain't cheap and cheap meat ain't good. . ."
I never forgot that and have been using it ever since when ever someone cringes at any price I quote on anything. try it sometime it works.
post #15 of 16 Old 11-14-2006, 12:48 PM

View john elliott's Photo Album My Photos
I've got quite a lot of Festool stuff. The saw and guide rail are so good that I can't imagine trying to manage without them, especially on site

John
post #16 of 16 Old 11-25-2006, 11:55 AM

View gedereco's Photo Album My Photos
not a big fan of dewalt .had a radial arm saw and cordless driver dewalt. thought they were good until i tried Hitachi they win hands down. going to convert to hitachi except for jointer which is axminster and morticer is freud.I think its important to buy a machine to last not just pay for the trade name...:icon_wink:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode