yet ANOTHER 100+ samples - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 06-15-2013, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
yet ANOTHER 100+ samples

My Australian friend / nemesis David Clark has had another 100+ samples sent to me on loan, which will be a great addition to the site (which is why he's my friend) but a corresponding amount of work (which is why he's my nemesis). He's one of the main reasons why you don't see me on the board much these days --- my wood time is going into dealing with all these samples (he's now sent a total of 350+ samples and I've processed about 200 of them)

This batch is from an IWCS collector named Alan Curtis and I commend him to any of you who are interested in getting samples. His quality is outstanding --- even better than the previous big batch of 185 that I got from Gary Green and ENORMOUSLY better than the batch of 75 that I got from a guy in Canada.

Name:  Alan Curtis.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  100.7 KB

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-15-2013, 02:56 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Why not build him something with the 100 samples and send them back to him.

You know at one time I started buying a board of different exotic species every time I ordered some lumber for samples. I've since lost my notes on what they are so I have several unknown boards in my shop.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-15-2013, 04:37 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post

You know at one time I started buying a board of different exotic species every time I ordered some lumber for samples. I've since lost my notes on what they are so I have several unknown boards in my shop.
I used to have that problem until I started marking the pieces. Simply just use a number...you could start with 1, and keep an index for what it is. I do that because designers, architects and the ultimate user asks for finish samples. For some that may mean many pieces. If you have them, that's good. If you have to go out and pick up a species you need, it can get costly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-15-2013, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post

You should just send them all to me.

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #5 of 5 Old 06-16-2013, 09:36 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
I used to have that problem until I started marking the pieces. Simply just use a number...you could start with 1, and keep an index for what it is. I do that because designers, architects and the ultimate user asks for finish samples. For some that may mean many pieces. If you have them, that's good. If you have to go out and pick up a species you need, it can get costly.

The biggest problem I had is I printed a label on my computer and pasted it on the boards. Then I had a storm destroy my shop and it took months to get to where the boards were and by that time the weather took the labels off. Someday I will get around to reconstructing the labeling. They weren't species that were very obscure. I think I could use the lumber company catalog and google images and piece it together again. Right now I'm trying to reconstruct the building.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode