Yard Trees, are they worth the effort? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 10-12-2013, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

View Lola Ranch's Photo Album My Photos
Yard Trees, are they worth the effort?

A neighbor of mine has two large trees in her yard that she wants removed. The largest is a mulberry, a wood that I know nothing about other than I heard its good for turning. It is about 3-1/2' in diameter at the base and only goes up about 6 or 7 feet before forking into two large branches about 2 feet in diameter. There is a big gash on the trunk and there is some visible rot. My gut feeling is that this tree may be more trouble to take down and mill that the lumber is worth. Its between the house and a shed and would have to be taken down in pieces.

The second tree is a black walnut. the main trunk is about 2' in diameter and about 9' to the first fork. It looks to be a pretty healthy tree and I think it would yield some nice lumber or slabs and would be much easier to deal with. It's about 30 feet from the house and is weighted away from the house towards an open field and looks to me like you could drop it there fairly easily. I told her I might be interested in removing all but the stump in trade for the wood but that I have to think about it and get back to her.

What do you think? I've done this sort of thing before. I've felled a fair amount of trees, mostly when I was younger. I know it's hard work.

A few years ago I found a fellow with some nice walnut logs. I made a deal with him that I would hire a portable mill to come in and cut them into lumber and he would keep half the lumber. I ended up with about 1000 bd ft of very nice black walnut for about $1000. I wasa very pleased with the scenario.

Looking for some feedback, Bret
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-13-2013, 12:26 AM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
With undercuts, you can basically drop any tree in any direction. I had to learn that and I am still alive (best guess). Wood turners like branch forks = there's a sale or two. Mainstem, slabbed and stickered for the furniture folks.

As a carver, I won't touch a branch as the wood anatomy from top-side to bottom-side is too different.
Having said that, carvers have a Hello of a time to find the "right" piece, big enough, for their concepts.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-13-2013, 01:58 AM
DST

View DST's Photo Album My Photos
The walnut tree is very worth it if you have the time. I would love that opportunity. I'd take the mulberry also if it meant getting the walnut. There are a lot of turning blanks in that tree even if in has some rot in part of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-13-2013, 10:52 AM

View mike1950's Photo Album My Photos
Bret, All the walnut I have is from yard trees grown on the east side of our state. I think some of the best wood comes from them- no competition and plenty of water. But all have had some foreign materials in them. The sawyers hate that. PS- I have cut none of them down- I would rather leave that part for others.

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is." Albert Einstein
post #5 of 12 Old 10-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I would take the trees for that deal. I would get the stump if I could. You never know what you can find in there.

post #6 of 12 Old 10-13-2013, 04:54 PM

View Tilaran's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Tilaran
It depends on the "yard".
post #7 of 12 Old 10-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
I'd have to drive a long way to see a yard with a walnut tree in it. I'd do it in a minute. I'd even buy a new chain saw to do it.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

post #8 of 12 Old 10-13-2013, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Everyone has fairly well convinced me to go for the walnut tree. I'm still on the fence concerning the mulberry. Is there anyone out there that can enlighten me about mulberry wood.

Bret
post #9 of 12 Old 10-13-2013, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

I did a Google search on mulberry wood. Sounds very nice. I'll get the walnut tree out of there and then see how I feel about the mulberry.

Bret
post #10 of 12 Old 10-14-2013, 12:18 AM
DST

View DST's Photo Album My Photos
I bet I could be convinced to drive on over and put in some free labor for the experience and for a few boards when its slabbed up
post #11 of 12 Old 10-14-2013, 09:03 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Ranch View Post
I did a Google search on mulberry wood. Sounds very nice. I'll get the walnut tree out of there and then see how I feel about the mulberry.

Bret
i would get the mulberry also their is some nice wood their , i myself would get the mulberry first, harder to find , once you start to cut the tree down the saw dust sure will be different, you will see i won't tell you , i would take all the mulberry wood i could get, i like it , good luck to make this bigger hold down the ctrl key and roll the roller in the mouse to get bigger

post #12 of 12 Old 10-14-2013, 10:12 AM

View dodahman's Photo Album My Photos
Here's a piece of mulberry from a friend's firewood pile. The outer surface was very colored, but is very light inside. I just resawed it last week, so I'll have to wait to see if it darkens while inside or if it needs exposure to the sun.

hmmm, that didn't work...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/10213193426/

Last edited by dodahman; 10-14-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: no image

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode