X Wine rack - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 02-07-2011, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

View Scoots's Photo Album My Photos
X Wine rack

I am building one of those boxes with a diagonal X to hold wine bottles and I am not sure the best way to do it. Originally I thought I would dado one of the pieces on both sides of center to receive the other. But then I realized that my box is not a perfect square, so the dados would have to be angled. I guess I could build a jig where I could dado on an angle, but there must be an easier way. Any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Furniture Craftsman

View FDSolutionsllc's Photo Album My Photos
Wine Racks

I'm not sure I understand your question, but the dado's for the wine racks are not cut on an angle. They are cut straight accross the grain, and the finished rack is then angled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110207-00039.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	20726  

Name:	IMG-20110207-00040.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	20727  

post #3 of 7 Old 02-07-2011, 08:08 PM

View JMC'sLT30's Photo Album My Photos
Hold your 2 peices in place as in correct positioning, 1 down in frame other on top perpindicular so to speak. Get your bevel degree from this, if I'm not mistaken you can cut half way through both peices at same bevel and they will interlock. You can do these cuts with a circular saw or a table saw with a sled.

"IF IT'S TOO TOUGH FOR THEM, IT'S JUST RIGHT FOR ME"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-08-2011, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

View Scoots's Photo Album My Photos
Bad explanation

Sorry guys, I didn't do a very good job explaining myself. The wine bottle rack is not a 1" "web" like the standard wine rack. These are X's made as deep as the cabinet from solid wood or edge faced plywood. So, if I have a 16" deep cabinet, then I will have 2 16" deep pieces of wood I need to lap together in an X. The problem again being that the w pieces are not perpendicular. Here is a drawing that might help out. Sorry, I;m not very good at explaining this. thanks for any help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lynch Kitchen-Lynch.pdf (1.7 KB, 388 views)
post #5 of 7 Old 02-08-2011, 10:00 PM

View JMC'sLT30's Photo Album My Photos
I knew exactly what you were talking about, that's where the "so to speak" part comes in. That's my story and I'm stickin to it. Good Luck.

"IF IT'S TOO TOUGH FOR THEM, IT'S JUST RIGHT FOR ME"
post #6 of 7 Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 PM

View NYwoodworks's Photo Album My Photos
Here's one I built.. the X's are notched half way and then slipped together on this one. It is designed to fit more than one bottle per opening. This may help in your design if it is not square. This is actually a door too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wine rack door 2.jpg
Views:	1662
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	20779  

post #7 of 7 Old 02-09-2011, 05:39 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC'sLT30 View Post
Hold your 2 peices in place as in correct positioning, 1 down in frame other on top perpindicular so to speak. Get your bevel degree from this, if I'm not mistaken you can cut half way through both peices at same bevel and they will interlock. You can do these cuts with a circular saw or a table saw with a sled.

+1. When you lay out where the slots are cut, will determine how square or rectangular each opening will be. Lay it out on a piece of paper. Look in the school supply section of stores, like even drug stores for brown postal wrap paper on a roll. It comes in different widths...30"-36". It's cheap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode