Would re-sawing be the only way to accomplis this? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 12-12-2010, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

View nijabhaava's Photo Album My Photos
Would re-sawing be the only way to accomplis this?

Hi,

I'm making a shoe bench and designing it in sketchlist 3d.

Attached are pictures.

I want to have the backboard "within" the unit, rather than attaching from the outside. I also just want 3/4" of backboard, no more, so stacking two boards is not an option.

I want the inside of the board to be purpleheart, but the outside facing side to be red oak.

I have 3/4" thick purpleheart and 3/4" red oak. I suppose having both re-sawn to half, and then producing a new board by gluing them would be the only option?

Where could I get this kind of re-sawing done, if it is indeed possible?

Other suggestions?

I love the way it looks with purple heart "inside" on the backboard, but don't like how it looks on its own as the backboard on the outside, where the red oak is prominent elsewhere and would look good I think.

Something I couldn't do in my version of sketchlist was make holes in the board.

I am going to make holes in the outer red oak side boards like this design that I am quite closely emulating - also attached. This will reveal the purpleheart through the sides.

I am also going to put purpleheart edging everywhere - bench top, side boards, shelves. Or would red oak edging look better?

Cheers

Any suggestions? Aesthetic, or functional to achieve what I want?

Cheers
Attached Images

Last edited by nijabhaava; 12-12-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-12-2010, 08:35 PM
just a dude

View rocklobster's Photo Album My Photos
I've heard people mention taking wood to a local cabinet shop to have it resawn. I've never done it, though. You might call around.

If you're intent on not modifying the plans to accomodate the thicker backboard, another option would be to run it through the thickness planer until you get the size you want. But you'd waste a lot of good wood that way.

I like your idea with the colors. Good luck.

Rob
post #3 of 12 Old 12-12-2010, 08:47 PM

View wwinsauer's Photo Album My Photos
I can't imagine the oak outclassing the purple heart but thats just my opinion. never the less I like your project! And I think it will look great!

If you have a band saw with a good blade, a decent cutting height, a jig and a lot of patients you can resaw your boards down to 3/16" if you want.

If you don't have a band saw. I've resawn boards on the table saw by sending them over the jointer then running them down the table saw on end with feather boards, push stick and a helper. Once i ran them down i flipped them over and split them in half. Took them to the planer and the rest is history.

I really don't recommend this unless you have a lot of experience on your table saw. It can be very dangerous!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-12-2010, 08:48 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
You could just use purpleheart backing but with a layer of red oak veneer on the outside. Lots easier than re-sawing.

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
The Following User Says Thank You to phinds For This Useful Post:
wwinsauer (12-12-2010)
post #5 of 12 Old 12-12-2010, 08:53 PM

View wwinsauer's Photo Album My Photos
Good point Phinds!

Surprised I didn't think of that.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-12-2010, 08:56 PM

View jraksdhs's Photo Album My Photos
probably not a good idea....

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinds View Post
You could just use purpleheart backing but with a layer of red oak veneer on the outside. Lots easier than re-sawing.
I wouldnt recommend veneering a solid piece of wood. Most likely the "substrate" would expand and contract way too much for the veneer and eventually cause issues for your veneer. JMTS

jraks
post #7 of 12 Old 12-12-2010, 09:00 PM

View jack warner's Photo Album My Photos
i think i would put the purple heart outside and the oak in.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-13-2010, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

View nijabhaava's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the responses guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinsauer View Post
I can't imagine the oak outclassing the purple heart but thats just my opinion. never the less I like your project! And I think it will look great!
The idea is to have the purpleheart 'showcased' inside the red oak and on the edging, rather than flaunting the purpleheart. The oak could not outclass it no matter where it goes - but this way it gets showcased - on the side boards, the edging as well with the cut rectangles showcasing the purpleheart underneath.
Quote:

If you have a band saw with a good blade, a decent cutting height, a jig and a lot of patients you can resaw your boards down to 3/16" if you want.
no bandsaw :(, and I don't think I could do all that with the table saw just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinds View Post
How/where would I get the veneer? This is a good idea - but

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraksdhs View Post
I wouldnt recommend veneering a solid piece of wood. Most likely the "substrate" would expand and contract way too much for the veneer and eventually cause issues for your veneer. JMTS

jraks
What about this? Is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack warner View Post
i think i would put the purple heart outside and the oak in.
As in response above, the goal is to showcase the purpleheart, not to flaunt it.

thanks again for the responses guys
post #9 of 12 Old 12-13-2010, 01:28 AM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
purpleheart veneer is available from a number of internet dealers. try B&B Rare Woods or Herzog Veneers ... you'll find more if you look.

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #10 of 12 Old 12-13-2010, 04:33 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraksdhs

jraks
Quote:
Originally Posted by nijabhaava View Post
What about this? Is this true?

It can happen, depending on the thickness and width of the solid wood.

post #11 of 12 Old 12-13-2010, 05:28 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Is this going on floor?Once filled with shoes,how much of the inside of back are you gonna see?

We use a small amt of PH around here for bows and then the drops get used on picture frames.......sure wouldn't want to make a career of resawing,its pretty dange hard.BW
post #12 of 12 Old 12-13-2010, 06:45 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Turn it inside out

Use the special purple heart on the outside, anyone can have oak. In fact, forget the oak altogether...That way you don't need to resaw. You can add details of other woods in inlayed strips or through the joint splines, bow ties, etc. Could be quite handsome. bill
Like these:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode