would this even work? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 10-29-2013, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

View Gotspiccoli's Photo Album My Photos
would this even work?

Well my friend and I cut down a colorado blue spruce. We have no ability to get a mill and the local town pickup is giving us problems to pick up the bigger pieces. we have a good portion of it cut up for fire wood for next summer out door fires. But we still had two huge pieces left to deal with. My friend asked if we could make benches. Just wanted to see if you guys see any problems with how we proceed with this. Worst case scenario is they suck and we just make more fire wood. We already ripped the tree down the center with a chain saw. 4 pieces about 5ft long. Then I cut "legs" at about 2ft tall. My idea is to make a single and very thick box joint and just jam the top log into the legs. Since the wood is as green as it gets we would just sit it out side and let nature take its course and see what happens. Another idea was to set the top log upside down till next summer then flip it over and clean off all the sap that comes out of it. Thoughts on this? I know its not perfect but do you think it could hold?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-29-2013, 12:23 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Take a look at this video. This person was using hand tools, but I think his design is relevant for your tree sections.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f30/o...rkbench-41778/
post #3 of 7 Old 10-29-2013, 12:36 PM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
If you have a chainsaw with a long enough bar, you can get a chainsaw milling rig... I have a friend who bought one, and it works quite well. He slabbed a few trees that came down in a storm last summer, and we wound up with a dozen or so boards about 10" wide, 1 1/2" thick, and about 15 feet long. They're stashed away to dry at the moment, but they'll be used for repairs on a 100+ year old hunting lodge when they're ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-29-2013, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

wow that video was insane. Not exactly what I am doing but still a great watch. No way to buy that chain saw mill, my friend is a renter and the tree that we took down was one of two on the property.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-29-2013, 01:07 PM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
As a note: the milling attachment I'm talking about is pretty small. It's basically just a guide that clamps to the saw body, like this one.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-29-2013, 02:47 PM

View Bill White's Photo Album My Photos
Just remember that the green wood is gonna shrink a bunch. Green top, green legs, shrink..................Still loose legs.
Green top, dry legs, the top shrinks around the legs, and ya have a tight construction.
Bill
post #7 of 7 Old 10-29-2013, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
Just remember that the green wood is gonna shrink a bunch. Green top, green legs, shrink..................Still loose legs.
Green top, dry legs, the top shrinks around the legs, and ya have a tight construction.
Bill
good info there!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode