Would a 17Ē band saw be Ok for cutting logs? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 06-13-2012, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Would a 17Ē band saw be Ok for cutting logs?

Iím thinking about cutting my own boards and I have a 14Ē Band Saw now, but I think itís too small. A friend of mine has some very old Oak trees that he has to get rid of and I thought it would be nice to get some free wood for a change.

Also Iím not too trilled to lose valuable space for another Band Saw and will most likely have to get rid of the smaller one. I canít afford a portable saw mill and I donít know of any other way.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-13-2012, 01:22 PM

View WillemJM's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
Iím thinking about cutting my own boards and I have a 14Ē Band Saw now, but I think itís too small. A friend of mine has some very old Oak trees that he has to get rid of and I thought it would be nice to get some free wood for a change.

Also Iím not too trilled to lose valuable space for another Band Saw and will most likely have to get rid of the smaller one. I canít afford a portable saw mill and I donít know of any other way.
Maximum dia will be 12" on a 17", small logs will work, it is a bear though. I use MDF which ends up as scrap, screwed to the bottom of the log, as a guide for the first cut. If you have a lot to do, it's better to take it to someone who has a mill.

Pure mathematics is, in it's way, the poetry of logical ideas. - Albert Einstein.
The Following User Says Thank You to WillemJM For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (06-13-2012)
post #3 of 8 Old 06-13-2012, 01:25 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
depends...

If you got a riser for your 14" you could cut 10" - 12" for a resaw. You would want at least 1 1/2HP motor for "best" results.

That's a more economical way than a whole new machine. If you were going all new look for 12" resaw. Having said that I have a 19" 3 HP Grizzly and just looking at that blade raised 12" high is scary. I don't resaw more than about 10" myself.
Oak is not that "valuable" around here anyway to warrant resawing 12" boards. Besides what are you making that will require that width other than table tops?

Your best bet is to have a portable saw mill come by and let them saw the logs. I have done that 3 times so far and it's not that expensive, around here anyway.

If you have the 14" Delta cast iron saw it's worth a riser block at around $80.00. The Harbor Freight riser works from what I hear.

Your problem will be getting one flat surface to ride on the table or you will need to make a sled to secure the log from rotating. For shorter lengths (4 feet) I used a sled and rail underneath riding against the outside of the table for reference. Logs are heavy and you need in and outfeed support.

To make the one flat surface I used a power planer and a jointer. I find if you joint after each pass you have at least one straight and flat surface to ride against your taller fence.

Seems like it takes a lot of effort... and it does to set it up right. You don't want wavey cuts which will just waste the wood. And you need a planer to surface wider boards. And you need the widest jointer to surface them before running them into the planer.... and on ... and on. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-13-2012 at 01:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (06-13-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-13-2012, 02:01 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Good replies.

Another option to hold the log is this site.
http://www.stockroomsupply.ca/shop/t...e15f39afafce3a

I do not own this, just observed at a woodworking show back in March.

As others mentioned, there is a lot of work in cutting up logs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Paine For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (06-13-2012)
post #5 of 8 Old 06-13-2012, 02:08 PM

View MissionIsMyMission's Photo Album My Photos
I 2nd the notion of hiring a portable saw mill to come on site. You'll be surprised at the pricing you can get. Or rent a trailer and take the logs to a local mill. I did that and they cut it "Quarter Sawn" for me for $1.75 a board foot. Saved me almost $5 a board foot. I stickered it, weighted it and air dried it for 2 years. Just recently produced this with some of it...

The Following User Says Thank You to MissionIsMyMission For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (06-13-2012)
post #6 of 8 Old 06-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Trytore Member

View Shop Dad's Photo Album My Photos
Timber Jig

Another option is to get a Timber Jig like the one Dominick used here:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f26/log-lumber-39665/
The Following User Says Thank You to Shop Dad For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (06-13-2012)
post #7 of 8 Old 06-13-2012, 05:14 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
some bandsaw sleds here

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/resaw-sled-7552/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (06-13-2012)
post #8 of 8 Old 06-13-2012, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Wow, some great ideas here. Sorry I couldnít respond earlier, but I got sent out on a job where there wasnít any internet.

Iím paying $6.80 per board ft for Red Oak around here, so it probably will be worth it to me to cut my own. I would like to get as many 6ft pieces as I can but after thinking about it today, it might be too much to ask for.

I really like that chainsaw set up Dominck used, but I would definitely need to buy a new chainsaw. Iíve never heard of anybody around here that does log milling, but Iíll check it out.

I also like that ReSaw sled for the band saw which would be easy to build. It reminded me of a video I saw with a homemade Bandsaw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...-Gykz2ADY&NR=1

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.

Last edited by Sleeper; 06-13-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode