Working is hard when you'd rather woodwork - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 20 Old 09-28-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

View TS3660's Photo Album My Photos
Working is hard when you'd rather woodwork

My shop is almost complete and I gotta say that coming to my real job is really hard. I just wanna go home and be in my shop. I feel like I did when I met my now wife. I didn't want to be away from her. I just don't like my real job like I used to. Am I ok? Maybe I need therapy.

Bud

"Veggie burgers aren't bad if you put enough meat on them"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-28-2009, 06:10 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I advice is to....

Buy more tools and some rare wood and a sawmill and that will make you happy. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 20 Old 09-28-2009, 06:36 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I felt that way. I didn't want to go to school after seeing my first Playboy, I wanted to be a photographer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 09-28-2009, 06:39 PM

View mike65072's Photo Album My Photos
I have a part time job at a small woodworking shop...best of both worlds...I love the smell of sawdust
post #5 of 20 Old 09-28-2009, 08:03 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
I own my own woodworking company, for 10 years now and working wood for 20. It is no longer fun.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #6 of 20 Old 09-28-2009, 08:41 PM

View Jeremy E's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
I own my own woodworking company, for 10 years now and working wood for 20. It is no longer fun.

Sad to hear that. You do such fine work...
post #7 of 20 Old 09-28-2009, 08:45 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I worked for GM for 30 yrs

Have been retired for 10 yrs. Fun is a funny thing. You either love the work or the people or both, if you're lucky. I miss the people more than the work. Woodworking has been a hobby and a necessity since I designed and built my own home. I have hammered just about every nail and screwed in almost every screw by this time, after 2 remodels, a kitchen and a garage addition. There have been fun projects and restorations along the way, but damn I like to get the "house" projects finished so I can have some fun just for me. Painting the house, 3 stories high, has ceased to be fun and now I just want it done and am paying a "helper". If you can make your work fun by injecting humor and work with people who can have a good laugh with you, that will make the days go by faster. You have to live in the "now" rather than the past or future. Make the best of now and you'll do fine. bill
BTW this forum is a very good therapeutic tool for all of us, there are the funny things,the wierd things, the mental challenges, great projects, good people, and then the rest....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 20 Old 09-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy E View Post
Sad to hear that. You do such fine work...
Ya I know. I like the finished project. But I make my living off of this. And I do everything as a 1 man show. It is a lot of work. All of the little annoyances add up, and add them up for 20 years and you can see a picture forming.

I do like it, but it is something I do every day, 6 days a week. And that is why I do such fine work. My hobby is photography. I wish I had time for it.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
post #9 of 20 Old 09-28-2009, 09:00 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
I am now back into woodworking for a living....AGAIN !!!!!. One of thoise things I said I would never do AGAIN !!!!!
Anyway, to keep it fun, I still work on fun stuff. Not nearly as much as I would like but I still stick something in every now and then just for the change.
Here is a fun project I started. All I have to do is apply finish, which will happen this week when I finish other peoples stuff at the same time. For those of you that are not familial with Louisianna area, the legs and apron are made of cypress. The worm holey top is called pecky cypress. These are from logs that sank to the bottom of the swamp and layed there for a very very long time. All of the holes are made from ship worms and other marine life. After I apply the lacquer finish, I will have a piece of glass cut for the top. The reason it is a fun project is because it is not slated for anyone, I just felt like making it.
When I had my big shop in Arkansas, I would turn a bowl everyday after closing. This relaxed me and I will start doing that again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9280023.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	10895  

Name:	P9280024.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	10896  

Name:	P9280027.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	10897  

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #10 of 20 Old 09-28-2009, 09:07 PM

View clarionflyer's Photo Album My Photos
You royally screw up that critical cut. Then you'll want to walk away... for week . Then you're ready to try again.
Ahh... it's still there. go back and fix it.

All the important jobs keep calling us back.
post #11 of 20 Old 09-29-2009, 07:18 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
When you are doing the job as a hobby it is fun.

When you are doing the job as work/business the fun part is mostly gone. Suddenly you have schedules to keep. customers to please and many other things that change the fun to work. This happens in most (all?) activities where a task can be done either as a hobby or as a job.

George
post #12 of 20 Old 09-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Senior Member KE4TQP

View John in Tennessee's Photo Album My Photos
You need a bass boat,,

I forgot..Get a better job for momma...
post #13 of 20 Old 09-29-2009, 05:22 PM

View bandman's Photo Album My Photos
I ran my own woodworking business seven days a week for 13 years and virtually hated every minute of it. I had to keep doing it because it was the only way I could make enough money to pay all the bills I racked up because of the deadbeat customers I ran into. For the past 15 years I have been happily back teaching public school and have advanced back to amateur status and really look forward to getting into my shop at night. "If it was heaven, they wouldn't call it work!"

Bandman
post #14 of 20 Old 09-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
I like the no pressure of woodworking as a hobby. The possibility of making a little money on the side is intriguing. If I had to support my family on it.... well... that sounds like a lot of work! o.0
post #15 of 20 Old 09-29-2009, 07:23 PM

View garryswf's Photo Album My Photos
TS3660,
No you are not crazy, but hey i never did like going to my real job either. It was just a place god put on earth for me to go to five, six, or seven days a miserable week in the middle of the afternoon or midnite or just whenever those so and so's decided they just "HAD" to have extra help @2:30 in the morning^&*###!!---------- just so i could afford a TS,J,BS or planer! I would stay and type more but i gotta go---------------------------I have a therapy appointment.
post #16 of 20 Old 09-29-2009, 07:41 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS3660 View Post
My shop is almost complete and I gotta say ...... I just don't like my real job like I used to. Am I ok? Maybe I need therapy.
No, you are not OK, you need therapy. I made the transition from electronics engineer to woodworking shop owner 25 years ago. It was the best and worst time of my life. I promised myself that I would never do that again. Well, surprise surprise !!!! I recently went back into the woodworking business full time AGAIN!!!!

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #17 of 20 Old 09-30-2009, 01:59 PM
wood hacker

View ihackwood's Photo Album My Photos
i'm in the same boat as leo, it quickly loses its flavor as a job, but if your doing something thats fun, it's cool, naw because yo always put making money in front so your stuff never gets done.

the key is to find a rich girl that only requires servicing, and she brings home the bacon. good luck doing that hahaha
post #18 of 20 Old 09-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

My wife isn't rich, but she does have a job, so it really helps when I get in my lazy moods. But she has it worse than me. She has been with the same company almost 30 years.

I took a job that I knew I couldn't make money on just because it was a cool project (spoked galtlin gun wheels). It was a challenge and made me have to think. Unlike the cabinets, moldings and doors that I usually make that I can do in my sleep.

post #19 of 20 Old 09-30-2009, 07:38 PM
wood hacker

View ihackwood's Photo Album My Photos
did ya ever have one of those days , when you spend all morning looking for wood , then come up with another idea, just to haul ass and build it and when your almost done and your routing out a slot for a mirror and you hear the oak that just cost 103 dollars splinter farther than the recess will be, gotta love it haha,

saturday was exspensive too, roll of roof rubber already glued ready to go wind comes out of nowhere, wads it up like 500 bucks is nothing lol then to add insult to injury, the fiberboard took flight , great day lol
post #20 of 20 Old 10-03-2009, 12:42 AM

View windstorm's Photo Album My Photos
TS3660, I understand your frustration. I would spend every day in the shop if I could, but my job often takes me out of town for weeks on end. Still, I don't think I would enjoy woodworking nearly as much if I had to do it to make a living. Luckily, when I have free time it comes in two- and three-week blocks and if I can get in a couple of weeks of working with wood here and there, I can live with that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode