• 1 Post By Tool Agnostic
  • 2 Post By GeorgeC
  • 2 Post By BigJim

post #1 of 15 Old 11-25-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
Worked Retail? LOL

If you have ever worked retail.

I needed a panel raising bit with a back cutter. I have one w/o the back cutter. Well go buy a back cutter knife for the bit.

Surely you jest. Western Carolinas, maybe but not here.

So off to Rockler because I have a 20% "We miss you discount" letter.

A previous telephone conversation with 'Old Dave' they have the bit with back cutter but not the back cutter. I arrive at the store.

Over to the router bit cabinet, oh a nice new display cabinet from when I worked there. Old Dave shows me two panel raising bits. One at about $105 and one at about $120. I choose the $105 bit and we go to check out. I'm thinking $105 less 20, $85 plus tax is about $93.

After Old Dave gives me the router bit, he is facing product. I LOL and say "It has been close to 10 years and I still do that in stores." He does also and we both laugh.

The bill comes to $103 on the Master Card. WTF??? So we go back to the router bit cabinet and figure out that the router bit was on the wrong hook. Old Dave starts to re-arrange router bits onto their correct hook. I help as I can as there are at least 8 or 10 bits hanging on the wrong hook. I'm laughing as this was a problem when I worked there. Everything is fixed and I go wander about the store and eventually leave.

Just a huge BTW - If you work retail, one of the better tasks is stocking the shelves. Yeah it is drudgery but you learn where everything is in the store. As an employee it is better to answer a customer's question "Aisle 7, on the right about halfway down about the middle of the shelf." rather than "Over yonder."

In retail, the employee that can answer the "Where" question is probably the most valuable employee in the store. Because, when a customer asks "where" it is the same as saying "I want to buy."

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon

Last edited by NoThankyou; 11-25-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-26-2019, 07:11 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
????????????

I have no idea of what you are writing??

George
post #3 of 15 Old 11-26-2019, 09:23 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
???????????? I have no idea of what you are writing?? George
@NoThankyou is saying:

* NoThankyou needs a router bit, so he gets out his 20% off coupon and goes to Rockler.
* Old Dave finds the router bit and gives it to NoThankyou. Old Dave goes back to facing the items. See Definitions, below.
* NoThankyou remembers his days working in stores like that, and even when he goes out shopping at other stores, he finds himself facing the items. Old habits die hard.
* Old Dave figures out that many router bits have been returned to the wrong pegs. Old Dave is still facing them and putting them on the correct pegs. It was a problem way back then, and it is still a problem now. NoThankyou and Old Dave laugh together about it.

In conclusion:
* If you are employee of a woodworking shop, one of the best jobs you can do is stocking the inventory and facing the shelves, because that is how you learn where everything is, and you can find an item quickly for a customer.
* The best employee is one who knows where the merchandise is. In a store with so many small items, that takes a while to learn. When a customer comes in and asks "Where is xyz?", then knowing exactly where it is and taking the customer directly to it can be the best thing, because that customer represents a sure sale.

DEFINITIONS

Stocking:
The merchandise arrives on big trucks. In a woodworking store, there are lots of little items that must be unboxed and then hung on all the little pegs around the store. It is a lot of work. At my local Rockler (probably the same one that NoThankyou was at), the trucks deliver several very tall pallets wrapped in plastic, which sit in plain view in the back of the store near the classroom and lumber for sale. I have learned that if an item I need is not on the shelf, but there are pallets in the back of the store, then the replacement items might be in there somewhere, but it takes at least one full day for the employees to unload the pallets and get the items on the shelves, sometimes longer.

Facing:
Arranging the items on the correct pegs, facing the customer in a pleasing manner. Customers take things off the pegs and move them around, dumping them on a shelf or putting them back in the wrong place.
mjadams61 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tool Agnostic For This Useful Post:
NoThankyou (11-27-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-26-2019, 09:47 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
I have never been able to comprehend the mentality of people...or lack of intelligence. I have worked retail and it's not funny if you work in retail. Why can't people put greeting cards back in the proper place instead of sticking them anywhere? I worked at Lowe's and people would put things on the wrong shelf, box, aisle, etc. People see a price and don't match the price with the item. Then, when they check out, there is the debate with the cashier- But the label said $***!

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-26-2019, 12:42 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineknot_86 View Post
I have never been able to comprehend the mentality of people...or lack of intelligence. I have worked retail and it's not funny if you work in retail. Why can't people put greeting cards back in the proper place instead of sticking them anywhere? I worked at Lowe's and people would put things on the wrong shelf, box, aisle, etc. People see a price and don't match the price with the item. Then, when they check out, there is the debate with the cashier- But the label said $***!
They are not real customers. They are zombies, kidnapped and brainwashed by your competitors, then sent to your store to cause havoc. Is that obvious?

I have seen growing numbers of them everywhere I shop. Sometimes when I am in the store, they outnumber the real customers. :-(
mjadams61 likes this.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-26-2019, 01:16 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Having been both an employee for a large chain store and the owner of independent store I can tell you for certain that one customer's money is as good as the next and without them the store would not survive.

There is no argument that some people are inconsiderate which no doubt factors into why many brick and mortar stores are pushing online shopping with well organized warehouses.

In another life I purchase a fair amount of small brass tubing and fittings, I can get them immediately from a local retailer or I can order online from a distant supplier and wait for the order to ship. Unfortunately the owner of the local shop is totally fixated with everything in its place, he hovers over me, if I pick up an item to look at it and go to put it back he takes it from me to be sure it is back where it belongs. This gets frustrating, I usually leave with much less than I probably would have had I been allowed to simply browse.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #7 of 15 Old 11-26-2019, 04:24 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
What I am reading here is that people are people and that they will continue to be people regardless of where they shop.

George
mjadams61 and Kerrys like this.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-26-2019, 06:27 PM

View SEMIJim's Photo Album My Photos
I find myself returning product to the correct shelf, hook, bin, what-have-you all the time. I figure it may keep some poor soul from, say, getting home with ten 5/16" x 1-1/2" lag screws, one of which is almost, but not quite a 5/16" x 1-1/2" lag screw, as a result of some schmuck carelessly returning something to the wrong place and the next guy not paying careful enough attention.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-26-2019, 07:02 PM

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
I worked retail for a few years. Fortunately, back before UPC's and when everything had a price sticker on it. I have seen people mix up the stuff on the hooks intentionally, which ticks me off. An acquaintance runs a Dollar General and the stuff people pull is terrible. They had a little old lady from eastern europe who would come in and sample the foods to see if she wanted it. The woman would open boxes and jars, taste and close them back up and those she didn't buy she put back on the shelf. Another group would come into her store to eat lunch. They would roam the aisles while munching on their lunches from fast food places. She finds chicken bones on shelves, has to mop up spilled milk shakes, etc. One customer is about 45 and incontinent and just urinates where ever she happens to be standing. She has found soiled diapers on the floor, and once she was doing office work and looked up at the security monitors to see a man and woman doing the "humpty" in a back aisle.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-26-2019, 07:08 PM

View sancho57's Photo Album My Photos
Ive not worked retail, but a a customer, I go to where people and the store have their act together. I dont go to my nearby Rockler, Ill drive buy it to go to another store if at possible. I dont go to Lowes or HD unless I have to. I choose alternate businesses.

Plain and simple. Not happy with the service at one store, I go to another.

I dont see what the problem is
post #11 of 15 Old 11-29-2019, 11:50 AM
Mossback

View TobyC's Photo Album My Photos
I actually read this,...

Why did you post?
post #12 of 15 Old 11-29-2019, 12:58 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyC View Post
I actually read this,...

Why did you post?
We could ask you the same question.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-29-2019, 02:11 PM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
I make fun of my best friend all the time because he works in retail, we'll go out shopping at a goodwill or something and he'll start organizing the clothes on the racks or shoes on the shelves. It's the same when I judge peoples woodworking or stare at peoples doors. He always complains about it, yet never searches for a better job... Personally I've always worked trade jobs my whole life but you have to respect the people who do work retail. They have an awful lot to deal with with little to zero pay. Only retail that is worth doing long term is Costco, I hear they pay amazing.

-T

God I love Trigger. Inferno Cop is exactly the sort of idiocy they do, It's what makes them so cool. Met them all, great guys.
post #14 of 15 Old 11-30-2019, 11:14 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Customer service can vary from store to store and even from manager to manager. Our Dunham's sporting good store was a mess. Thing were tossed on the shelves, wrong pegs, etc. I quit shopping there for a while. They changed managers and things were 1000% better. Now they are back to the same thing.
Customers??? One of the many reasons I wouldn't have a retail business or restaurant.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-01-2019, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
To understand why people work retail, it is the stories.

One Saturday this gentleman comes in and needs some help selecting stain. We determined the type of wood and I found a scrap piece. He gets three or four stains off the shelf and I Open the middle tone one. I put it on the wood with my finger. Let it set for a bit and then wipe it off. Not quite right. I put the lid back on, put all the cans back on the shelf and he chooses a couple more cans. Two different fingers and more stain on the wood. Finally one more from the shelf and I'm almost out of fingers, but the last one is perfect.

The gentleman pays and thanks me profusely. That night when I get home SWMBO is wondering why I have paint on my fingers. (It's a long story.)

The next day, Sunday, a woman comes into the store dragging the stain gentleman from yesterday. I'm at the register and she slams the can down saying "Idiot bought the wrong color." I tell her to get the color that she needs and that the exchange is no problem. About 10 minutes the woman with gentleman in tow comes back to the registers. I'm busy with another customer and another associate takes care of her. I tell the associate that it is an exchange and hand him the can being returned. The woman tells the associate that it is an exchange. The associate asks what is wrong. The woman says that it is an exchange. The associate explains that we have to tell the manufacturer what is wrong when we return it. She says that it is the wrong color. And the associate, in all honesty and just being a guy without thinking, says, "But you're exchanging it for the same color." The woman slams the new can down, grabs the old can and storms out of the store. The gentleman stops at the door of the store, turns around and without making a sound mouthed the words "Thank You".

That I think was my best day ever working retail.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode