Workbench Leveling - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By gmercer_48083
  • 1 Post By Alchymist

post #1 of 9 Old 07-10-2020, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

View lnp142's Photo Album My Photos
Workbench Leveling

My "Workspace" is an old 1930/40 outbuilding that i believe was used as a carriage house, however, they had the space 14x18 paved with a drain angle, looks like a 5-10 degree from the front all the way to the back, I have a Delta contractor saw and I want to build a workbench/extension table. Right now i have supports under one side od the table saw to make it "level", how should i build the workbench, should i build it according to the shop floor, or should I build nice and level with itself and then just add to the low side,

Am I making any sense?

Thanks for any input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-10-2020, 08:57 AM

View Dave McCann's Photo Album My Photos
Build with HEAVY DUTY leg leveling feet. You may wish to relocate your saw and or bench in the future. Having leveling feet will allow you to adjust for level and take out any "rocking" where ever you may move to table to in the future.

1000 lb capacity =
https://www.grainger.com/product/S-W..._vc=IDPPLARECS

5000 lb capacity =
https://www.grainger.com/product/14H...1102900012033!
Attached Images

post #3 of 9 Old 07-10-2020, 09:22 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
If you are trying to extend your outfeed table by using a separate work surface they must be in the same plane. I move my saw from time to time and that plan made it impossible. I solved that by attaching an outfeed table that folds down and when needed it is propped up from the mobile base to the table... that way is is always parallel to the table saw top and does not depend on the floor for finicky adjustments to make it parallel. I can fold my outfeed table up and my saw can be moved and the outfeed table is still aligned to the top of my table saw. Rarely do I need a longer outfeed support than the 30" my outfeed table provides.

Gary

Woodworking is like wetting myself....Only I know that warm feeling!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-10-2020, 09:32 AM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmercer_48083 View Post
If you are trying to extend your outfeed table by using a separate work surface they must be in the same plane. I move my saw from time to time and that plan made it impossible. I solved that by attaching an outfeed table that folds down and when needed it is propped up from the mobile base to the table... that way is is always parallel to the table saw top and does not depend on the floor for finicky adjustments to make it parallel. I can fold my outfeed table up and my saw can be moved and the outfeed table is still aligned to the top of my table saw. Rarely do I need a longer outfeed support than the 30" my outfeed table provides.
Wish I could do that with my saw; the motor hanging off the back makes it difficult.

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-10-2020, 10:14 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Leveling feet. Can be as simple as a lag screw into a leg, or like the one pictured above.

Robert
post #6 of 9 Old 07-10-2020, 10:16 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Alchymist, You can. My saw has a guide that supports the fence. I used a plywood box (basically) that is bolted to the leg/frame, and it extends beyond that area.... and the 3-1/2" door hinges are attached to the far end of the box. In my case about 3" from the table. The outfeed table swings downward from that point. The outfeed table length is limited by the height of the table saw. The cross braces of my mobile base uses angle iron. I had an old walker which I remove one side and inserted dowels into after forming a vee notch which sets onto the angle iron at the bottom and at the top it engages a 2"x 2" block under the table. It leans as it supports the table... and gravity does the rest. My outfeed table is 1/16" lower than the table saw top. My saw i quite heavy and I believe it would be able to extend the box about a foot without any tip over risk. I ripped 8' 4"x 4"s easily using it and it is quite stable. My outfeed table is made from a recycled maple dining table top and is wide as the cast iron portion of my Dewalt saw. My saw is also equipped with a cast iron sliding table which limited the width a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20181008_090835.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	392143  

Name:	P_20181008_090843.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	392145  

Name:	P_20181008_090936.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	392147  

Name:	P_20181008_090954.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	392149  

cynrich likes this.

Gary

Woodworking is like wetting myself....Only I know that warm feeling!

Last edited by gmercer_48083; 07-10-2020 at 10:21 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-10-2020, 11:20 AM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Problem is the Grizzly has the motor way out the back, like in this picture, and it rotates with the blade angle. Haven't designed around it yet, for what few long rips I do the wife is trained as an outfeed robot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GrizMotor.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	392159  

Derl likes this.

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-11-2020, 12:37 AM

View RickKr's Photo Album My Photos
Leveling Feet

I agree that the primary goal is to ensure the outfeed surfaces are in the same plane as the table saw top. Doesn't matter if it is the same plane as the floor or level to the world. This is the principle used in leveling machine tools.

I'm still working on a woodworking workbench for my shop, but the supporting frame is complete. I used six 4x4s as the legs and put 1/2" dia. leveling feet under each one (legs elevated by flip down casters in the photo). I plan on leveling it so the work surface is flat, whether that is level to my shop floor (modern slab with very slight drainage angle) or to the world. I've used these same type of leveling feet when leveling metal lathes. On these legs I put a fender washer between the adjuster nut and the bottom of the 4x4.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Found a Good Straight Edge 04-22-20 640.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	392197  

Name:	Workbench Elevated Leveling Feet 04-22-20 640.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	392199  

Name:	Leveling Feet 07-10-20.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	392201  

"Quality is like buying oats. If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a bit cheaper."
post #9 of 9 Old 07-11-2020, 01:32 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
nothing is level in my 40s barn with 2 inch thick, hand mixed/poured concrete floor
except for the ras bench, notice the 6" to 10" base over the filled in manure trough
like gmercer i attached the table saw out feed table to the saw
in my shop, i settle for flat, cuz level is mostly impossible
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	radial arm saw (7).jpg
Views:	7
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	392247  

Name:	table saw (6).JPG
Views:	8
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	392249  

Tags
shop, tablesaw, workbench

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode