Workbench fastener - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-14-2010, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

View ccrow's Photo Album My Photos
Workbench fastener

Hey Guys.. I'm new to the forum. So bare with me please.

I'm getting ready to build a workbench and some shelving in my garage. I'm planning on using 2x4's and 3/4 plywood. I already have a design in my head, but I'm confused about the fasteners. I have a framing nailed that I would like to use for speed, but I can use screws or bolts if neccessary. Can anyone shed some light onto which I should use? I do understand that screws vs nails have different shear strength, but this will mainly be for tool storage.

Thanks for the help.
-Clifton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-14-2010, 03:41 PM

View Wood4Fun's Photo Album My Photos
i'd use screws since nails have a tendency to work loose over time.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-14-2010, 04:41 PM

View daryl's Photo Album My Photos
Share a sketch with us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-14-2010, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

I can't seem to upload the sketch, but basically it will be a set of 4 shelves on the left with 2x4 posts and 18"x18" decks to hold various tools. then attached to that going to the right will be the 6' bench with a double layer of 3/4" for the top then storage shelves below sized for specific tools (tile saw, cutter boards, shop vac, miter saw, etc) the table will have an overhang on the far right for my ridgid table saw to slide under. Above the table will be a peg board and bulletin board. To the right of it will be a set of low shelves about 4' long to hold various mortars and grouts.

Hopefully this makes sense.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-14-2010, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

How much risk do I have of the nails working loose, should i choose to go that route and what time period are we talking about.

2nd..

I have some damaged sheetrock in the garage so I was planning on lining the bottom 4' of the garage with osb all the way around and up to the ceiling in two spots to hold some hanging racks for yard tools and dirty coats. Any thoughts?
post #6 of 8 Old 01-14-2010, 06:11 PM

View daryl's Photo Album My Photos
1) It sounds a lot more like a permanant bench than a collapsible bench.
2) Use screws and glue. Nails will disappoint you.
3) Have you considered using pegboard to some extent? Very handy.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-14-2010, 11:53 PM
What Wood I Do

View gregL's Photo Album My Photos
I would definitely use screws and glue for tables and shelving. Far superior to nails as others have stated. My workbenches are made from 2x4's with lap joints and dadoes glued and screwed. The tops are 3/4" birch ply. The 4 tables that go up against my walls are fastened to the stude with lag bolts.
Take the extra time to overbuild your worktables and you will never regret it...
I have OSB board covering all of the walls in my shop. It holds fasteners good, is affordable and is durable. Pegboard is great for hanging tools on pegs and I use the plastic pegboard from Lowes above my workbench but I don't know how practical it would be on the lower 4 feet of your walls.

Who Dat...Every step of any project should be considered your masterpiece if you want the finished product to reflect the quality of your work. Have a nice day, unless you have other plans! "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Greg Little
post #8 of 8 Old 01-15-2010, 06:59 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Hi clifton.

Welcome to the forum. As mentioned by others, screws have major advantages over nails in many projects. One advantage not mentioned is that if you assemble something and then realise it isn't right, or not quite what you want, it is very easy to take it apart without damaging the material, and reassemble as you want it. I find that I am using screws and glue more and more in my shop projects.

OSB will give you a fairly substantial mounting surface. Definitely much stronger than drywall, and fairly reasonable to purchase. Peg board is also very practical, although I personally don't care for it because I don't like all those hooks sticking out at me.

Gerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode