Woodworking Talk banner

Workbench Design Feedback

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  _Ogre 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this site and overall fairly new to woodworking. I'm designing my first decent workbench and I was hoping to get some feedback from people more experienced than myself. I've attached the Sketchup file for anyone who would like to view it that way and some screenshots as well.

The legs and cross-rails are made out of laminated 2x6's and are joined together with mortise/tenon. I know the Sketchup doesn't show that but I'm fairly new to Sketchup as well. The top is made out of laminated MDF with portions of the inside reinforced by actual lumber for the eventual addition of bench vises. The boxes on the bottom are just placeholders for leveling casters similar to these: https://www.amazon.com/SPACECARE-Sw...ywords=leveling+casters&qid=1597276658&sr=8-5

Given the weight of the bench top I figured resting it on top of some dowels in the base should be sufficient to secure it.

Thank you for your time and any feedback is appreciated!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
+1 on stretchers - both ways.

Basically build to H trestles and connect them with long stretchers.

With laminated 2x6's you can leave the middle board long that becomes the tenon.

In this bench I built years ago, the long stretchers are bolts with capture bolts I got from Lee Valley.

The bottom cross braces on my bench aren't absolutely necessary.

Attachments

#5 ·
+1 on stretchers - both ways.

Basically build to H trestles and connect them with long stretchers.

With laminated 2x6's you can leave the middle board long that becomes the tenon.

In this bench I built years ago, the long stretchers are bolts with capture bolts I got from Lee Valley.

The bottom cross braces on my bench aren't absolutely necessary.

Okay, so the stretchers are a definite then. I see on your table that you have the stretchers at the bottom but no stretchers up at the top to help support the top like I do. Do you think on a bench top my size (24" x 96") it is necessary to have the extra support at the top or would it be better to just take my existing stretchers and move them down and let the top rest on the 4 legs only?

#8 ·
I would put a full frame under the MDF. Like making a wall or floor.

Then double up the studs, or use same size lumber as the legs at the points of the legs attachment.

A simple method which I used to save time is to use 2) 2x4’s sistered and glued for the legs, and single 2x4 the perimeter for the table top frame, and offset the 2x4s at the top of the legs to make a rebate for the perimeter 2x4 like a half lap joint.

Like so: this is the base of my bench but the concept is the same. You can get a better, more polished look by squaring up the 2x4’s with a jointer or table saw. But that was not important to me when I made it.

Heres the top end, but its more difficult to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.