Workbench casters - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By gmercer_48083
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 06-24-2020, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 20
View nielswitlox227's Photo Album My Photos
Workbench casters

Hi there,

I am designing a new workbench for my new (very small) shop. The shop is only 3,0x3,5 meters (around 10 by 11,5 feet). Therefore it's important for me that the workbench is mobile. This way I can work around it and move it outside when I need to cut bigger stock. Now my big question is what kind of casters should I use? These are the two most obvious options in my mind:

1. regular double locking casters like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Double-Lockin.../dp/B001N1FYU6

I have two problems with this type of caster. One: I really don't know how sturdy these actually are. I want absolutely no play on the workbench and I wonder if these casters can provide that. And two: they raise the workbench up quite a bit. Which will create a big unused space underneath the workbench that I ideally would like to prevent.

2. Retractable casters like these:
https://www.amazon.com/SOLEJAZZ-Work...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Now at first thought, these casters solve the problem of the sturdiness and the empty space underneath. But they cause another problem: They stick out to the side of the workbench. This will be inefficient as well because I cant put the workbench in the corner. Also because I won't be able to lower the wheel in that corner.

Some information so you can get an idea of the weight of my workbench:
It will be a workbench that 2 meters long and 75 cm wide (around 6,5 feet by 2,5 feet). It will be built out of standard 4x7's (2 by 4's in imperial) witch a plywood top and bottom. I want to build in the Metabo ts 254 m (24,4kg or 54 pounds). And a self-made router table. I don't know exactly what I want to do with the leftover space yet. But I am going to make it as efficiently as possible. So it won't be a lot of air, thus it will be heavy.

I hope you guys can give me some advice, tips and ideas. Maybe you have a completely other system of mobilizing a workbench.

I hope my English was good enough for you. Because as you may notice, English is not my mother tongue. I'm just a Dutch guy who needs some help.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Niels
nielswitlox227 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 06-24-2020, 12:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 5,658
View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Retractable casters would be my preference so the bench would be steady to work on. One thing I can tell you from years of factory experience is if you have two fixed and two swivel casters moving the bench will be like driving a car, four swivel casters will be like wrestling a pig on ice.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
FrankC is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 06-24-2020, 01:03 PM
Member
 
WoodyWeekends's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: STL
Posts: 36
View WoodyWeekends's Photo Album My Photos
I vote retractable too.
The bench will be a lot steadier siting on solid legs with casters retracted, than siting on swivel casters.

Woody
WoodyWeekends is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 Old 06-24-2020, 01:37 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Illinois
Posts: 16
View GruneHolzarbeiten's Photo Album My Photos
I just finished my small-space workbench something like 4 days ago. I can post pictures if you want!

I built a workbench that you tip onto a bracket on the wall and fold up. My lumber cart and workbench take up roughly an 8'x2' space when not in use. I'm very happy with it.

I also love the retractable wheels. I plan to put them on pretty much everything that needs to be moved. You have so much more material contacting the ground when it's the bottoms of the legs and not the apex of the wheel, and this just means it's more stable.


The retractable wheels do stick out a bit, but that hasn't been an issue. I was actually worried I'd trip on them, but they don't stick out far enough.

The only wrinkle I had with the retractable wheels is due to the kind of bench I made. One of the major benefits is the folding legs, but that's also a big weakness. You need to use a spreader bar to keep the legs from folding in while you move it around the work area, but with the retractable legs in the only position that works if you want to be able to fold the table, the legs splay a little when the wheels are engaged because the contact point with the floor is not dead center with the leg. To fix that, I just added brackets to the spreader bar that also stops any outward movement.


Edit: After reading more closely about the bench you're making, I thought I'd add a couple things. I am also operating in a very small space. My benchtop is 84"x37". While my bench does not have a built in router table or space for my table saw, I am on my way out to the garage right now to build a cart for each one that is precisely the same height as my workbench. This way, I can just scoot the machine I'm using up to my workbench and use it as an outfeed table or crosscut support. Two small carts will be much easier to store than having them built into my workbench, not to mention having them built into my bench would make them slightly less versatile for my purposes.

Jeff


My process seems to be 97% cleaning, planning, organizing, stressing about wood choices, and building jigs -- 3% actually making things.

Last edited by GruneHolzarbeiten; 06-24-2020 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Added some more thoughts.
GruneHolzarbeiten is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 06-24-2020, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 20
View nielswitlox227's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Frank, I would really like to have them on my bench too, but how am I going to place my workbench in the corner?
nielswitlox227 is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 06-24-2020, 01:58 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Illinois
Posts: 16
View GruneHolzarbeiten's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielswitlox227 View Post
Hey Frank, I would really like to have them on my bench too, but how am I going to place my workbench in the corner?

If you aren't doing folding legs, you can put the wheels on the inward-facing sides of the legs. Just remember to leave yourself some clearance under the stretcher so you can fit your foot in there. I'll try and find a picture real quick...

Jeff


My process seems to be 97% cleaning, planning, organizing, stressing about wood choices, and building jigs -- 3% actually making things.
GruneHolzarbeiten is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 06-24-2020, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 20
View nielswitlox227's Photo Album My Photos
[QUOTE=GruneHolzarbeiten;2118047]


Hey GruneHolzarbeiten,

Are you German, your name sounds German to me. It sounds like you have a little more space than me. I'm afraid I don't have any more room for a separate table saw or router table. But could you send pictures of them anyway? I would like to see how small yours are. And about the casters, are you able to put your workbench in a corner? Because I don't think you can do that with those casters.
nielswitlox227 is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 06-24-2020, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 20
View nielswitlox227's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GruneHolzarbeiten View Post
I just finished my small-space workbench something like 4 days ago. I can post pictures if you want!

I built a workbench that you tip onto a bracket on the wall and fold up. My lumber cart and workbench take up roughly an 8'x2' space when not in use. I'm very happy with it.

I also love the retractable wheels. I plan to put them on pretty much everything that needs to be moved. You have so much more material contacting the ground when it's the bottoms of the legs and not the apex of the wheel, and this just means it's more stable.


The retractable wheels do stick out a bit, but that hasn't been an issue. I was actually worried I'd trip on them, but they don't stick out far enough.

The only wrinkle I had with the retractable wheels is due to the kind of bench I made. One of the major benefits is the folding legs, but that's also a big weakness. You need to use a spreader bar to keep the legs from folding in while you move it around the work area, but with the retractable legs in the only position that works if you want to be able to fold the table, the legs splay a little when the wheels are engaged because the contact point with the floor is not dead center with the leg. To fix that, I just added brackets to the spreader bar that also stops any outward movement.


Edit: After reading more closely about the bench you're making, I thought I'd add a couple things. I am also operating in a very small space. My benchtop is 84"x37". While my bench does not have a built in router table or space for my table saw, I am on my way out to the garage right now to build a cart for each one that is precisely the same height as my workbench. This way, I can just scoot the machine I'm using up to my workbench and use it as an outfeed table or crosscut support. Two small carts will be much easier to store than having them built into my workbench, not to mention having them built into my bench would make them slightly less versatile for my purposes.

I don't think my reply worked out. So here it is again

Hey GruneHolzarbeiten,

Are you German, your name sounds German to me. It sounds like you have a little more space than me. I'm afraid I don't have any more room for a separate table saw or router table. But could you send pictures of them anyway? I would like to see how small yours are. And about the casters, are you able to put your workbench in a corner? Because I don't think you can do that with those casters.
nielswitlox227 is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 06-24-2020, 02:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NE FL
Posts: 616
View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Polyurethane wheels are not the most durable, but they did last about 4 years on my assembly table rolling around on rather rough concrete floor. It is very heavy and I probably should have gotten bigger ones.

The locks are excellent because they lock both the wheel and swivel. Because of this I don't think retractable wheels are necessary.

If you have a smooth floor I would think they should last quite a while.

Robert

Last edited by DrRobert; 06-24-2020 at 02:09 PM.
DrRobert is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 06-24-2020, 02:19 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Illinois
Posts: 16
View GruneHolzarbeiten's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielswitlox227 View Post
I don't think my reply worked out. So here it is again

Hey GruneHolzarbeiten,

Are you German, your name sounds German to me. It sounds like you have a little more space than me. I'm afraid I don't have any more room for a separate table saw or router table. But could you send pictures of them anyway? I would like to see how small yours are. And about the casters, are you able to put your workbench in a corner? Because I don't think you can do that with those casters.

I am not myself German, I just happen to be taking a German Language course right now and thought the play on words was funny: Green Woodworker // Green-wood Worker, both suggest I'm probably not a very experienced woodworker.


I wasn't able to find pictures of the wheels on the inside faces of legs except on Amazon and I couldn't link the pictures directly, but it should be clear what I mean. Just mount the wheels facing inward and you won't have anything sticking out and blocking the corner.


I am going outside now and I'll take some pictures of my space. I basically have a 2' space around one side and the end of a one-car garage to store my stuff. I pull the car out to work, wheel stuff into the middle, then collapse everything back to the sides when I'm done. I'll post pics in ~6 hours.

Jeff


My process seems to be 97% cleaning, planning, organizing, stressing about wood choices, and building jigs -- 3% actually making things.
GruneHolzarbeiten is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 06-24-2020, 02:19 PM
Senior Member
 
furnacefighter15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Batavia IL (West Chicago Burb)
Posts: 255
View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
I used these casters on my table saw workbench, i used a total of 8 to spread the load on the bottom rail, but 4 would support the table.

They are really nice, and dont protrude, and can be used to level the table also once the table is where you want it.


https://www.amazon.com/Skelang-Level.../dp/B07V1NTLDP


Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dave H
furnacefighter15 is online now  
post #12 of 20 Old 06-24-2020, 02:20 PM
Senior Member
 
furnacefighter15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Batavia IL (West Chicago Burb)
Posts: 255
View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
You can see the bench in the project thread page

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dave H
furnacefighter15 is online now  
post #13 of 20 Old 06-24-2020, 02:24 PM
Senior Member
 
furnacefighter15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Batavia IL (West Chicago Burb)
Posts: 255
View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
The other plus of the casters I posted, the mounting pad is much smaller, and the overall height is less then a standard caster of equal weight rating. Especially nice when you forget to account for the extra height during the build

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dave H
furnacefighter15 is online now  
post #14 of 20 Old 06-24-2020, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 20
View nielswitlox227's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GruneHolzarbeiten View Post
I am not myself German, I just happen to be taking a German Language course right now and thought the play on words was funny: Green Woodworker // Green-wood Worker, both suggest I'm probably not a very experienced woodworker.


I wasn't able to find pictures of the wheels on the inside faces of legs except on Amazon and I couldn't link the pictures directly, but it should be clear what I mean. Just mount the wheels facing inward and you won't have anything sticking out and blocking the corner.


I am going outside now and I'll take some pictures of my space. I basically have a 2' space around one side and the end of a one-car garage to store my stuff. I pull the car out to work, wheel stuff into the middle, then collapse everything back to the sides when I'm done. I'll post pics in ~6 hours.
Haha, maybe you can speak some Dutch too, it's not so different. But its a great suggestion, so thank you. I only have to figure out if it will be practical enough. I'm looking forward to the pictures, but no hurry.
nielswitlox227 is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 06-24-2020, 02:26 PM
Senior Member
 
furnacefighter15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Batavia IL (West Chicago Burb)
Posts: 255
View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
I had the retractable casters on a table saw, and constantly tripped on the casters when walking by too close.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dave H
furnacefighter15 is online now  
post #16 of 20 Old 06-24-2020, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 20
View nielswitlox227's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by furnacefighter15 View Post
I used these casters on my table saw workbench, i used a total of 8 to spread the load on the bottom rail, but 4 would support the table.

They are really nice, and dont protrude, and can be used to level the table also once the table is where you want it.


https://www.amazon.com/Skelang-Level.../dp/B07V1NTLDP


Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


Hey furnacefighter15, cool name you have there. I've looked at those casters too. But I don't think they are very quick to set up, are they? I plan on moving my workbench almost every time I am going to use it.
nielswitlox227 is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 06-24-2020, 02:33 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Illinois
Posts: 16
View GruneHolzarbeiten's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by furnacefighter15 View Post
I used these casters on my table saw workbench, i used a total of 8 to spread the load on the bottom rail, but 4 would support the table.

They are really nice, and dont protrude, and can be used to level the table also once the table is where you want it.


https://www.amazon.com/Skelang-Level.../dp/B07V1NTLDP


Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I love the look of these, I saw them when I was shopping for casters. Is there a way you can raise and lower them with your foot? The reason I didn't end up buying these is that I destroyed my knees playing hockey as a kid, and getting on the floor to raise and lower these every day would kill me haha.

Jeff


My process seems to be 97% cleaning, planning, organizing, stressing about wood choices, and building jigs -- 3% actually making things.
GruneHolzarbeiten is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 06-24-2020, 03:55 PM
Senior Member
 
furnacefighter15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Batavia IL (West Chicago Burb)
Posts: 255
View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GruneHolzarbeiten View Post
I love the look of these, I saw them when I was shopping for casters. Is there a way you can raise and lower them with your foot? The reason I didn't end up buying these is that I destroyed my knees playing hockey as a kid, and getting on the floor to raise and lower these every day would kill me haha.
Unfortunately you have to get low to make adjustments. I wear knee pads all day, everyday, the thick volleyball style. I wear them below my pants. But my floor is level and the table is heavy, so its very stable and does not move unless I want to move it. So I leave them in the roll position.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dave H
furnacefighter15 is online now  
post #19 of 20 Old 06-25-2020, 01:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Troy Michigan USA
Posts: 1,224
View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
My Dewalt contractors table saw came with mobile base. It has two fixed castors on one end and one swivel on the other. So it is on three wheels. The swivel castor is the type almost identical to https://www.amazon.com/SOLEJAZZ-Work...NsaWNrPXRydWU= and since it is centered under the one end of the saw, Dewalt has a rod that extends toward the front of the saw so stepping on the rod pushes the pedal down without having to reach your foot to the center under the saw to use the pedal. Basically it is a 1/2" rod that extends 90 degrees and has holes drilled through the side of the pedal. My rod is welded to the pedal but it certainly could be nut'd to the pedal. I wouldn't hesitate to do the same on a bench. If you are interested I can take a photo.
furnacefighter15 likes this.

Gary

Woodworking is like wetting myself....Only I know that warm feeling!
gmercer_48083 is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 07-03-2020, 12:06 PM
Junior Member
 
ToolsOnaWall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 20
View ToolsOnaWall's Photo Album My Photos
I replaced the wheels on my table saw with a kit from Rockler. It has two fixed wheels and two that retract to pads, it is a stable platform. My table saw has a cast iron table and a cast iron router table extension, the wheel kit has been holding up very well for over five years so far. I also have a couple portable benches like my lathe table, I got wheels from castercity.com, they lock the wheel and swivel in any position. I have a two car garage that has room for one car and my tools so I put wheels on stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tablesaw casters.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	391871  

Click image for larger version

Name:	lathe table-14.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	391873  


I know how to make sawdust.
ToolsOnaWall is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome