Work Sharp 3000 price - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 05-30-2012, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Coast. OZ

View STAR's Photo Album My Photos
Work Sharp 3000 price

I do not want to hijack a current thread on the merits of the Work sharp 3000 and the Veritas MK11 Honing guide and Water Stones.

So, if it appears to, I have no problems if the Mods delete it or feel it should be included with that thread.

Now, the Veritas and Water Stones are not cheap but to me the prices being quoted here for the WorkSharp in America is around the $200 mark. If that is right then I can see a strong argument, once you know what sharp is to seriously consider the purchase.

But, here in Australia, the Work Sharp 3000 is a lot more expensive. My daughter is in the States regularly and she often brings home items for me.

The Work Sharp 3000 here is quoted in a local catalogue for $675. It says the Work Sharp system so possibly it has all the bells and whistles that the Standard 3000 does not. I would purchase a lot of Electrical goods from the States except for the fact that we run on 240 volts and if their was an easy way to get around that then the Work Sharp might appeal to me.

Now, I know this is an American forum, but us outsiders are interested in what's happening in your neck of the woods. For me, in the current economy, here in Australia, the hand sharpening method wins hands down, it is not as you fire the grinding wheel up every time you sharpen.

Once you get the primary bevel ground normally you will not have to go back to the wheel and then just a quick touch up will maintain your razor sharp edge. It is hard to justify how much extra value is in the difference between the relative costs of the two methods.

Pete

Last edited by STAR; 05-30-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-30-2012, 07:09 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
I have the WS 300 and the MKll. Once the primary bevel is set with the WS and the MKll, I use the MKll on sand paper for the secondary bevel.
Prior to purchasing the WS, all sharpening was done on sand paper and granite. The WS is nice and quick but, not an essential tool IMO>

Gene
The Patriot Woodworker

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
post #3 of 4 Old 05-30-2012, 08:14 PM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
I have a 4 sided diamond block with different grits on each side. Once I have the edge where I want it, I use automotive type sand paper down to 2000 grit to fine tune my chisels and plane blades. Even at the lower prices here, the WS3000 is too much for me to spend on something I'd only use every now and then.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-30-2012, 09:29 PM

View Murphy's Law's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnie52 View Post
. . . Even at the lower prices here, the WS3000 is too much for me to spend on something I'd only use every now and then.
I'm with you on that! $200 is a lot of money for a once-in-a-while tool. But I'm on a retiree's fixed income. Maybe if woodworking was my profession I would consider it.

Last edited by Murphy's Law; 05-30-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode