Work Bench Plans and More - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 10-24-2008, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Work Bench Plans and More

I have entertained the idea of making and selling detailed plans and instructions for various projects such as tables, work benches, jigs, etc. via the web for about $2 to $3 each.
Is there any market in that?
Do any of you buy plans for projects?
Typically, how much does a set of e-plans cost on the internet?

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
There are a mess of plans out there now. Everything from free plans that aren't so good, to very detailed measured plans with painful levels of detail for how to build a giant barn for several hundred dollars.

I have yet to actually buy plans. I have looked over plans and redid this or that, and came up with my own thing...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #3 of 8 Old 10-24-2008, 12:47 PM
No Longer Here

View user4178's Photo Album My Photos
I've bought one set of plans in all my years of woodworking. It was a Lutchens bench plan from Norm ( This Old House ) I never did use the plan because in the fall of the year a few years ago after buying the plan I was at Menards and bought what I believe to be a teak Lutchens bench allready assembled on a year end closeout for less then I could buy the wood for.

Last edited by user4178; 10-24-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Senior Member KE4TQP

View John in Tennessee's Photo Album My Photos
I just bought plans for a wishing well to be made out of landscape timbers for $11.95. Asked why the didn't have a version shipped via email. When they arrived in the mail. When I got them they were about with 23x45.in size.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-24-2008, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Woodchuck ....I just bought some teak.

A few months ago it was $16.50 per bd. ft. A few days ago I bought some teak for my boat project. It was $26.75 per Bd. Ft. That's over $10 per bd. ft more than a few months ago. I nearly s**t when I saw that. I needed about 10 Bd. Ft. and so I bought it.
It is very hard to believe that I am looking at 2 boards in my shop worth $150 each.
Forget the oil stock, buy teak.
If I could have gotten the sizes I wanted, I would have bought a few benches.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #6 of 8 Old 10-25-2008, 12:57 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
I have purchased quite a few on line plans. I have purchased them in several forms. From full sized prints (delivered by snail mail) to downloadable prints that are printed on an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper. I have to say that I have never paid as low as 2 or 3 bucks. I think that the lowest that I have paid is around 7 or 8 bucks. AMERICAN!!!! Which at the time was about $94.99 Canadian.
2 or 3 bucks is a steal.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-25-2008, 02:20 AM
No Longer Here

View user4178's Photo Album My Photos
Tony, $150 is about what I paid for the bench. The funny thing is that it was clearance priced at $204, but rung up at the till for $150. I couldn't believe it.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-25-2008, 11:14 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck1957 View Post
Tony, $150 is about what I paid for the bench. The funny thing is that it was clearance priced at $204, but rung up at the till for $150. I couldn't believe it.
Every so often one gets lucky.

Gerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode