work bench highth - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 20 Old 10-18-2012, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

View slamin81's Photo Album My Photos
work bench highth

Hello guys go.na build me a workbench but I'm not sure on the highth. What are the standerds. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-18-2012, 03:16 AM

View Upstate's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamin81
Hello guys go.na build me a workbench but I'm not sure on the highth. What are the standerds. Thanks
Do you work more with had tools or power tools, if you do more hand tool work, then you'll want it a little lower. It also depends how tall you are. Im 5'10" or so and my bench is 30". If I did more hand planing or carving, then I'd want it a couple inches lower I think.
post #3 of 20 Old 10-18-2012, 06:35 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamin81 View Post
Go into your kitchen and stand at a counter. Is that height comfortable to you. It is probably built at the standard working height for the majority of the US population.

If it is comfortable then use that height for your work bench. If not then adjust that height up or down to fit your dimensions.

You can also go to one of your local stores that sells pre-built work benches. Do the same fit try.

George
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
Dominick (10-18-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 10-18-2012, 06:53 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

Here's an idea...make it height adjustable.

post #5 of 20 Old 10-18-2012, 07:58 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate View Post
Do you work more with had tools or power tools, if you do more hand tool work, then you'll want it a little lower. It also depends how tall you are. Im 5'10" or so and my bench is 30". If I did more hand planing or carving, then I'd want it a couple inches lower I think.
+1. If you use handtools then measure from the ground up to you around your third knuckle. If you use power tools I would make it eithe rcounter height or adjustable.
post #6 of 20 Old 10-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Rustic furniture

View Da Aardvark's Photo Album My Photos
I like Cab'tmans suggestion.
Kitchen counter heights are 36".
Bath is 32"
Do what is comfortable.
post #7 of 20 Old 10-18-2012, 09:23 AM

View Sorrowful Jones's Photo Album My Photos
For me, I like standing up straight as opposed to slightly bending over when working at a workbench. At the end of the day my back hurts less and I am less tired. I built my router table at 41", but that's for routing. As others have said... make it comfortable to you or adjustable.
post #8 of 20 Old 10-18-2012, 11:00 AM

View Bill White's Photo Album My Photos
Standard ergonomics say to stand with arms down and palms flat on the top. My top is at 34 1/2" from floor.
Bill
post #9 of 20 Old 10-18-2012, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

guys thanks for all the replys, i'll try to post up some pics tomarrow
post #10 of 20 Old 10-18-2012, 06:37 PM

View Fastback's Photo Album My Photos
+1 with Cabinetman, If I were building a new bench I think I would make it adjustable. There are time when you wish it were lower and other times it could be higher. Now all you need to do is decide on the top size.
post #11 of 20 Old 10-18-2012, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

the top frame is gonna be 66"x42" not sure if i will have an overhang yet.don't know if i want that.
post #12 of 20 Old 10-18-2012, 07:44 PM

View Millzy's Photo Album My Photos
With your arm down at your side measure from the floor to the top knuckle of your baby finger
And there's your table height
post #13 of 20 Old 10-20-2012, 09:42 AM

View Midlandbob's Photo Album My Photos
There is not ideal height as it depends on the job.
The main bench is usually where you do hand work , planing and fitting boards and joints. Mine is 31 inches I'm 70 inches. Thing are often clamped or held in a vise.
I do a lot of work on the table saw and matching downdraft table at 35 inches.
Years ago I built an assembly table at 19 inches for, you guessed it, assembling projects so they're off the floor.
The finishing room has tables at 24 inches or so to make painting and spraying convenient. They have lazy Susan's to rotate projects Boeing finished.
I've see plans for adjustable tables. At time it would be nice but its easier to work at an existing surface that's the right height for what you're doing.
post #14 of 20 Old 10-20-2012, 10:24 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I don't think the heigth is all that important. Regardless of what height you make it you will soon get used to it. My table saw is 34" tall and it felt a little tall for a work bench for me so I made my bench 32" tall. I also have made all my saw horses 32" tall also. If you are in doubt you could always make the bench a little too tall and wack the legs off if you don't like it later.
post #15 of 20 Old 10-20-2012, 10:37 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
make the bench shorten than the TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I don't think the heigth is all that important. Regardless of what height you make it you will soon get used to it. My table saw is 34" tall and it felt a little tall for a work bench for me so I made my bench 32" tall. I also have made all my saw horses 32" tall also. If you are in doubt you could always make the bench a little too tall and wack the legs off if you don't like it later.
If the bench is taller than the TS you can't use it for an outfeed table IF that situation arises. If it's shorter, then you can just space it up a bit with what ever dimension stock you need...maybe just a sheet of ply. Shorter benches allow for greater leverage when doing hand tool operations. Some here use an 18" assembly bench for making cabinets and other large projects. There are work spaces, work benches and assembly benches and they are all different heights. I wouldn't want to spend hours soldering or woodburning all bent over on a bench that was too short.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 10-20-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: spl
post #16 of 20 Old 10-20-2012, 11:28 AM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
My bench is 36" which allowed me to use it as an outfeed table for my table saw, router table, etc. I say "allowed' in the past tense because I sold my Ridgid TS and picked up a Unisaw which is only 34" tall. I could build a 2" base for the Uni to get it level with the workbench but since the TS isn't on a mobile base, I don't move it much anyway and it doesn't matter.

But I digress. The point I was trying to make is if your shop is small and you want to use your workbench as an infeed or outfeed table, make it the same height as your machine tables. That's assuming it's a comfortable working height for you.

Bill.
post #17 of 20 Old 10-20-2012, 03:47 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
If the bench is taller than the TS you can't use it for an outfeed table IF that situation arises. If it's shorter, then you can just space it up a bit with what ever dimension stock you need...maybe just a sheet of ply. Shorter benches allow for greater leverage when doing hand tool operations. Some here use an 18" assembly bench for making cabinets and other large projects. There are work spaces, work benches and assembly benches and they are all different heights. I wouldn't want to spend hours soldering or woodburning all bent over on a bench that was too short.
Thats very true but I have a seperate catch table that is 5'x8' that doubles as a plywood rack.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
GroovyMambo (10-21-2012)
post #18 of 20 Old 10-29-2012, 09:03 PM

View Art Smith's Photo Album My Photos
Does anyone have an opinion on the Adjust-a-Bench workbench base? I'm considering these so I can use my workbench as an outfeed table for my TS and still adjust the height for assembly, etc.
post #19 of 20 Old 10-30-2012, 10:52 AM

View jharris2's Photo Album My Photos
Nice, I might buy one if I win the lottery.

Jeff

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did in his
sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

Jack Handey
post #20 of 20 Old 10-30-2012, 11:09 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Ditto on making the work bench slightly lower than the height of the table saw. It can be very handy when ripping longer pieces of lumber.

Gerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode