Woodworking Vise....advantages over a bench vise? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 09-16-2010, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

View Goldglv's Photo Album My Photos
Woodworking Vise....advantages over a bench vise?

Hey guys, I wanted to see if I could get your opinions on which type of vise to purchase. I primarily work with wood so I initially wanted to purchase a woodworking vise.

But I also need a vise to occasionally cut some angle iron, metal laundry room shelving and possibly some other non wood related items. Can I still use a woodworking vise to do this?

Wanted to know, besides using bench dogs, what are the advantages of a woodworking vise as opposed to a swivel type bench vise that would sit on top of the bench?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-16-2010, 10:30 PM

View burkhome's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldglv View Post
Hey guys, I wanted to see if I could get your opinions on which type of vise to purchase. I primarily work with wood so I initially wanted to purchase a woodworking vise.

But I also need a vise to occasionally cut some angle iron, metal laundry room shelving and possibly some other non wood related items. Can I still use a woodworking vise to do this?

Wanted to know, besides using bench dogs, what are the advantages of a woodworking vise as opposed to a swivel type bench vise that would sit on top of the bench?
My bench vise is mounted on a board with a cleat on the bottom. When I need it I clamp it into my woodworking vise.

Roger from the Great Horicon Swamp
post #3 of 9 Old 09-16-2010, 10:33 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
Well, for one thing the fact that the woodworking vise doesn't sit on top of the bench is a big plus. It's always ready to use but never in the way.

If you position it at the edge of the bench, you can use it to cut off most anything.

I use mine for all kinds of stuff, although I DO occasionally use a small bench-top for smaller work, esp when a cut is needed right next to the vise, but that's because mine is positioned about 6" off from the edge of the bench.

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-16-2010, 11:08 PM
The Man

View Masterofnone's Photo Album My Photos
All I use is a bench vice because thats all I have at my disposal. It works fine as long as I sandwich my piece with scrap wood.

I have used a woodworking vice and would prefer that. You can drill holes parallel to the vice in your bench top and slide cleats in those, then you can clamp virtually any length of board for sanding, glueing, whatever.

Why not just buy both!

Last edited by Masterofnone; 09-16-2010 at 11:08 PM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 9 Old 09-17-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

View Goldglv's Photo Album My Photos
So woodworking vise it is? Anyone else care to share why they prefer one over the other?
post #6 of 9 Old 09-17-2010, 10:48 PM

View jlhaslip's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to jlhaslip
because some really nice client of mine gave a woodworking vise to me...

The Pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity while the Optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty...
post #7 of 9 Old 09-18-2010, 08:52 AM

View fromthehills's Photo Album My Photos
I have both. My main vice is woodworking, but I do take an occasional nip of metal working.

timber framer and custom cabinet builder
post #8 of 9 Old 09-18-2010, 09:02 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Same here

I do a fair amount of metal work, so when I want to bang on something, weld something, bend something or just hang on to something I use one of my metal vises. For wood working I use my quick adjust Craftsman from 25 years ago or any combination of clamps I can figure out. I sometimes use the wood vise as a clamp for glue ups. The best advice I can give is to have a heavy, unmovable bench which ever you chose. (both?) I need 2 car jacks to move mine! bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 9 Old 09-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Each has a personality of it's own. It's nice to have both. I don't abuse my woodworking vises. I made magnetic wood jaws for my bench vise when needed. Some times I wish my bench vise had a quick release.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode