Woodworking Shows DIY - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 01-17-2012, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

View vocdirector's Photo Album My Photos
Woodworking Shows DIY

I am interested in attending one of the DIY woodworking shows this Spring but I wanted to know if these shows are worth the effort since I am not real close to any of the locations. Some of you folks that have attending them, I would like for you to comment on your experiences with them. The show schedules do seem to have a lot of informative sessions, but I don't know about how many vendors and tools and cool stuff they will have on display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Bob D

View robertd's Photo Album My Photos
I try to go every year . If you are in need of a certain tool and the vendor is there you can get some really good deals. Years ago I atteneded a seminar put on by Sommerfeld tools on their cabinet making system. I bought it and wow was it so much easier with it to build all new cabinets for my kitchene. Good deals there on small tools and accesories too.

Bob D
post #3 of 19 Old 01-17-2012, 12:54 PM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
I just went to the woodworking show in Springfield, MA (this one) this weekend. It was a lot of fun, and well worth the cost of admission. I got to go to a seminar/lecture by Paul Sellers which was worth the price on its own, as well as a couple of demos of turning and bandsaw techniques. I also picked up some things (a cheap shoulder plane and some t-track) that were either cheaper than online or the same price, but without shipping, and ordered a few things from Lee Valley that are being shipped free.

Really, though, it's getting to see all the odd things people are selling and getting to go to the demos that makes it for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-17-2012, 02:39 PM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
I always try to attend the one here just to see the exhibits. You can often get a deal on tools especially on the last day of the show when vendors are trying to sell off stuff instead of carting it back home.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52
The Following User Says Thank You to johnnie52 For This Useful Post:
Shop Dad (01-17-2012)
post #5 of 19 Old 01-17-2012, 11:26 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Within driving distance of the two "The Woodworking Shows" we have per year there are one Woodcraft and 4 Rockler stores.

Also there is a hardware store that exhibits sometimes at the shows.

The bargains at the show are usually not worth the gasoline to get to the show. The demos are interesting and sometimes quite informative.

In all, going to the show is an interesting diversion for a day.

One of the things about these shows is that you will find a zillion little things that you didn't know existed and you will buy about half of them.

In the real world, these shows don't offer the savings that they use to. I know that a computer show, at a lesser venue, was getting $350 for a 10' square booth for two days. IIRC, the typical booths at the woodworking show is more like 8' wide and 6' deep at a price that I would guess is higher. (A 10' by 10' booth at AWFS in Las Vegas was about $4K according to my source. But that was at the LVCC and he said that another $4K was needed for travel and living.)

The cost of living and travel for the booth personnel has to be factored into the cost of any merchandise sold. All booth personnel typically share 10% of the gross sales at the booth. Typically all of the true "Sales" booth personnel pay their own T & L.

Today, with the Internet, the prices at brick and mortar outlets have been reduced to a minimum profit margin. You probably can purchase at a price equal to that at the show. (Maybe a bit more.)

With all the above negativity, a trip to The Woodworking Show can be fun and a good time if you go with the proper expectations. If you go expecting to have a good time, you will.

If you go not expecting to save enough on purchases to cover the cost of the trip, you will have a good time.

If you go expecting to meet a lot of other woodworkers, you may be disappointed. There are no "Birds of a Feather" rooms (Rooms are expensive to rent from the convention center.) or lounges and the show floor is a bit busy for meet and greet. The show floor is somewhat like shopping the day after Thanksgiving.

As for the "On the Show Floor Classes", they are busy and noisy because they back up to the show floor. Usually Sommerfelds has large enough booth space so that their class/demo is a bit isolated but still on the show floor.

Some exhibitors do a demo in their booth. (Incra, Woodline, Peach Tree, etc.) Unfortunately if you want to watch, you stand in the aisle. If you are couple of rows deep, you're not going to see very much unless you are over 6' tall.

Then there are the "Why are you here?" booths. Over the years I have seen almost everything from Cruises to Sham Wow to Bedazzler to goodness knows what. At one AWFS show there was a booth selling moisturizing cream at $60 a jar.

Out here in California, the size of the show and the number of exhibitors have been shrinking. Originally at the Orange County Fair Grounds, the show had two barns and the space between jam packed with exhibitors. Last time they barely filled a single barn. At the LA County Fairplex the show moved from building 4 to building 9. About a 40% reduction in show floor and exhibitors.

A big plus is that the show promoter usually gives booth space to local government educational entities. You may find booths with community college personnel recruiting for their woodworking programs.

You can check the web site of The Woodworking Shows to see the list of exhibitors. You probably should use that information a week or two before the show to make the decision to attend or not.

One final thought. Realize that times are tough and the recession is still not in full recovery. At the last show in Southern California, Felder had a booth. They had two machines displayed, a sliding table saw and a rip saw. Probably the wrong venue for Felder and probably the wrong market and definitely the wrong machines for the amateur market.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.

Last edited by rrich; 01-17-2012 at 11:35 PM.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-18-2012, 05:03 AM
The woodwrongs shoppe

View lawrence's Photo Album My Photos
alot of vendors put out coupons for the shows and you can view these online with a bit of research....alot of savings if you go "in the know"

lawrence

__________________________________________________ _____________
post #7 of 19 Old 01-19-2012, 03:58 PM

View whatalesyou1's Photo Album My Photos
I am planning on going to the show in Milwaukee, if I can get a day pass from the ole ball and chain. Anyone else in the midwest going to the milwaukee show?

http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/s...-29/index.html
The Following User Says Thank You to whatalesyou1 For This Useful Post:
dmh (01-23-2012)
post #8 of 19 Old 01-19-2012, 04:20 PM
The woodwrongs shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatalesyou1 View Post
I am planning on going to the show in Milwaukee, if I can get a day pass from the ole ball and chain. Anyone else in the midwest going to the milwaukee show?

http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/s...-29/index.html
lol...I was born and raised there....would never go back on purpose

lawrence

post #9 of 19 Old 01-19-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
lol...I was born and raised there....would never go back on purpose
I don't blame you!!!

I live in north-central WI, but I will make the trip down for that. I am just glad I have my shiny new concealed carry license.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-23-2012, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

View vocdirector's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the help folks. I still don't know if I will attend or not. I am going to look around and see what other shows are available. I would be willing to travel about 6 hours around North MS, so gives me a little range. I hope I can find something on DIY or HGTV about some of the big shows.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-23-2012, 04:56 PM

View Tom5151's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I don't blame you!!!

I live in north-central WI, but I will make the trip down for that. I am just glad I have my shiny new concealed carry license.
Where abouts in northe central? I have been going up there for years....have a cabin just outside of rhinelander
post #12 of 19 Old 01-23-2012, 05:30 PM
The woodwrongs shoppe

hey they still make rhinelander beer? point?... Berghoff?

lawrence

post #13 of 19 Old 01-23-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
hey they still make rhinelander beer? point?... bergoff?
point beer for sure.....not sure about the others......i THINK Hodag brewery is making a come back in rhinelander
post #14 of 19 Old 01-24-2012, 07:14 AM

I live about half way between Portage and Steven's Point.

As a microbrew connoisseur, I can tell you that they still make Point and Berghoff. They have a wide variety of flavors. Berghoff is made in Monroe, WI. My new favorite is O'so Brewing. Their beers are great and their new tap house is AMAZING.

http://osobrewing.com/Home.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5151 View Post
Where abouts in northe central? I have been going up there for years....have a cabin just outside of rhinelander
post #15 of 19 Old 01-24-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I live about half way between Portage and Steven's Point.

As a microbrew connoisseur, I can tell you that they still make Point and Berghoff. They have a wide variety of flavors. Berghoff is made in Monroe, WI. My new favorite is O'so Brewing. Their beers are great and their new tap house is AMAZING.

http://osobrewing.com/Home.php
I love Ponit Beer. I really need to get to the Brewery in Point and take the tour. I have been dabbling in making my own home brews for the past few years......I am not very good at it but it's fun and it sure tastes good....Have a coffee stout just about ready to bottle
post #16 of 19 Old 01-24-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5151 View Post
I love Ponit Beer. I really need to get to the Brewery in Point and take the tour. I have been dabbling in making my own home brews for the past few years......I am not very good at it but it's fun and it sure tastes good....Have a coffee stout just about ready to bottle
When you get up to the area, make sure you stop at the O'so Brewing tap house just south of Point! I have been drinking Point beer for years but the O'so is a home-brewer's dream.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-25-2012, 12:15 AM
The woodwrongs shoppe

it is funny how many people think they are drinking good beer till they get a taste of a micro-brewery's offerings.....and in the spring....when the micro brewed bocks come out to play....well I quit drinking many years ago but for a Berghoff Bock....I would probably go off the wagon....lol

lawrence

post #18 of 19 Old 01-25-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
When you get up to the area, make sure you stop at the O'so Brewing tap house just south of Point! I have been drinking Point beer for years but the O'so is a home-brewer's dream.
I will try it for sure...thank you for the tip.......
post #19 of 19 Old 01-25-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
it is funny how many people think they are drinking good beer till they get a taste of a micro-brewery's offerings.....and in the spring....when the micro brewed bocks come out to play....well I quit drinking many years ago but for a Berghoff Bock....I would probably go off the wagon....lol
LOL....that could just make it worthwhile......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode