Woodworking Show - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-16-2012, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Since 1994
 
Nick Ferry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: WI
Posts: 233
View Nick Ferry's Photo Album My Photos
Woodworking Show

There is a woodworking show this weekend in Milwaukee, WI.
I was planning on going. Anyone else nearby planning on going? here is the link for the show http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/
I haven't been to one this big before. Anything I should expect or look out for?

Can I build that? There's only one way to find out.

My Woodworking Videos
Nick Ferry is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 02-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Log dog
 
Dominick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northeast illinois
Posts: 7,935
View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfs
There is a woodworking show this weekend in Milwaukee, WI.
I was planning on going. Anyone else nearby planning on going? here is the link for the show http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/
I haven't been to one this big before. Anything I should expect or look out for?
I wanted to go. Just can't afford to go this time. Just got back from a small trip up north. Let us know how it goes if you go. Have fun.
I've been to this one before its a lot of fun. Find the pen turners and turn a pen. You keep the pen. Post pics.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
Dominick is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 02-16-2012, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Since 1994
 
Nick Ferry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: WI
Posts: 233
View Nick Ferry's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
I wanted to go. Just can't afford to go this time. Just got back from a small trip up north. Let us know how it goes if you go. Have fun.
I've been to this one before its a lot of fun. Find the pen turners and turn a pen. You keep the pen. Post pics.
thanks for the tip - will do - i have never used a lathe - should be cool

Can I build that? There's only one way to find out.

My Woodworking Videos
Nick Ferry is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 02-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Log dog
 
Dominick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northeast illinois
Posts: 7,935
View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfs

thanks for the tip - will do - i have never used a lathe - should be cool
It's a lot of fun. They will show you how to do it. It's easy. Here's my wife doing one at a show.

Name:  image-723609595.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  32.8 KB

When it's rustic......it's rustic
Dominick is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 02-18-2012, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Since 1994
 
Nick Ferry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: WI
Posts: 233
View Nick Ferry's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the tip Dominick - here is a pic of me turning my first pen - Roger from Craft Supplies USA was my mentor - he was super helpful - I have never turned anyhing on a wood lathe before - I might need to get into woodturning - I would probably get a bigger lathe though - I felt like a giant next to this one -
Woodworking Show-pen-turning.jpg

completed pen
Woodworking Show-pen.jpg

Can I build that? There's only one way to find out.

My Woodworking Videos
Nick Ferry is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 02-19-2012, 12:26 AM
Log dog
 
Dominick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northeast illinois
Posts: 7,935
View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfs
Thanks for the tip Dominick - here is a pic of me turning my first pen - Roger from Craft Supplies USA was my mentor - he was super helpful - I have never turned anyhing on a wood lathe before - I might need to get into woodturning - I would probably get a bigger lathe though - I felt like a giant next to this one -

completed pen
Awesome man. It's a lot of fun isn't it.
My wife and I made ours and we gave them to our friends for Christmas. Do you remember what the wood was?
Why is that guys face blurry in the background ?

When it's rustic......it's rustic
Dominick is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 02-19-2012, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Since 1994
 
Nick Ferry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: WI
Posts: 233
View Nick Ferry's Photo Album My Photos
It was fun - the wood is maple - I blurred the other guys face for privacy reasons - I don't know him and didn't want to post pictures of people without asking - probably didn't need to, but whatever

Can I build that? There's only one way to find out.

My Woodworking Videos
Nick Ferry is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 02-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Log dog
 
Dominick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northeast illinois
Posts: 7,935
View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfs
It was fun - the wood is maple - I blurred the other guys face for privacy reasons - I don't know him and didn't want to post pictures of people without asking - probably didn't need to, but whatever
Lol. Then what about the teacher? Do you know him?

When it's rustic......it's rustic
Dominick is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 02-19-2012, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Since 1994
 
Nick Ferry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: WI
Posts: 233
View Nick Ferry's Photo Album My Photos
yeah its roger - lol - he was fine with the pictures

Can I build that? There's only one way to find out.

My Woodworking Videos
Nick Ferry is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 02-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Log dog
 
Dominick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northeast illinois
Posts: 7,935
View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
Lol.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
Dominick is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Woodworking Show? CNYCarl General Woodworking Discussion 14 10-03-2011 10:42 PM
The Woodworking & D.I.Y. Show in Dallas TheWoodworking Shows General Woodworking Discussion 0 10-08-2010 02:02 PM
woodworking show kenneth evans General Woodworking Discussion 0 02-10-2008 11:27 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome