Woodworking schools - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 09-15-2007, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

View Bryan Baxter's Photo Album My Photos
Woodworking schools

I am going to be coming into enough money that I can outfit a commercial wood shop and go into business with my Dad. We were buying and repairing vintage and antique furniture for sale at a small shop. I want to design and build my own furniture and accessories.
What I think I would like to do is attend a school. What I am interested in is something more than just a class. A school that offers classes in the business of woodworking as well would be great. I have seen some online. I would just like to know if anyone has experience with any of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-16-2007, 01:55 AM

View JimWorld's Photo Album My Photos
If you are on the west coast William Ng (not a typo) has some good woodworking classes in Anahiem CA
post #3 of 6 Old 09-16-2007, 07:45 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
You didn't say where in the world you are, so it's hard to recommend a school in your area. I highly recommend your approach to your plans. Just knowing how to do the work is really only half of the game. I received a Bachelors in business thinking that I'd be another Trump one day. Little did I know that I would be a woodworker for a living. I must say that it kind of fell into place that way.

A specifically orientated education of the business end in a woodworking business would seem perfect. In the current market with the internet being as expanded as it is, you may find some distance learning course that implements your direction.

After 37 years in business I have adopted a theory about succeeding. Instead of figuring out how to succeed, figure out how you could fail, and then continue to prevent it from happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-16-2007, 07:53 PM

View Nancy Laird's Photo Album My Photos
Bryan,

University of Rio Grande in Rio Grande, Ohio

Ryú Cerritos College

Rockingham Community College

Appalachian State University

Georgia Institute of Technology

College of the Redwoods

Brigham Young University

Savannah College of Art & Design

Rockingham Community College

Miami University

University of Kentucky

These are the post-secondary (high school) schools represented by the 2007 Fresh Wood Student Competition Winners at the AWFS in Las Vegas this year. You can go here to see a list of the winners and pictures of their winning entries. I was there and believe me, the grand-prize winning entry was a stunner. The judges had a heck of a time selecting the winners, as all of the entries were great.

I'm sure that any one of these schools would be more than pleased to have you as a student. Just depends on where you are and how deep are your pockets for tuition, etc.

Nancy (96 days)

Nancy and Dave Laird
D&N Specialties
Rio Rancho, NM
David works in the Pro Sales Divison at Woodworker's Supply.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-17-2007, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

View Bryan Baxter's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the help

I am currently in Woodstock, GA but plan to leave here to go to school and later live. I think the west or Pacific Northwest. Seems like there is still a craftsman mentality out that way. There may be in the New England area. I might even go to the Carolinas. Its all up in the air.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-18-2007, 03:23 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
If you plan on making a living, you should move to area where most potential customers live.
johnep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode