woodworking with my 10 yr old - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 12-09-2008, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

View maplehillfrm's Photo Album My Photos
woodworking with my 10 yr old

well the last two nights for about an hour and a half a session, I was out in the shop and in the basement with my 11 year old working on a school project for music class, they need to create a instrument,, and hopefully have it make music,,

He decided on a xylophone sort of piece, after we went over the plans, he needed to submit a drawing and steps and everything,, we started on it, I of course made the major cuts on the table saw and teh chopsaw,, but he did cuts on the bandsaw, and drilled holes on the drill press after I showed him the safety aspect of it and made the first to show him how to perform the task..

This was made from maple I had around the shop, and the mallets were made from toy parts I have

he sanded all the parts,and assembled them with the air stapler,, then stained the keys and decorated it a bit,, IT actually makes music and he was able to play a tune,,[he plays sax in school so he knows how.. I dont]

he was happy and proud of his accomplishment and working with dad,, I cant put into words my pride and happiness,,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6089.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	5918  

Attached Images

Last edited by maplehillfrm; 12-09-2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: my bad its 11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-09-2008, 12:42 PM

View thekctermite's Photo Album My Photos
Fun project! I can't wait until I have a boy of my own to work in the shop with!
post #3 of 17 Old 12-09-2008, 12:43 PM

View steve mackay's Photo Album My Photos
You're a lucky dog, wonderfull parent and a good human ! In a weird, twisted way I can blame my success now on my Dad and a Pinewood Derby car. Still have it. When I get to feel'n cocky I pull it off the shelf and roll it around the kitchen floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 12-11-2008, 03:31 PM

View WDChew's Photo Album My Photos
Great project. The best gift we can give is to pass our passion for woodworking on to the next generation.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-11-2008, 11:34 PM

View mics_54's Photo Album My Photos
Good JOB! It's cool to see young people inspired in meaningfull ways by the adults in their lives. One can never really know what deep sustaining way they guide kids with a word of encouragment. It reminds me of my own experience with a great mentor that was my uncle. He was always there with a word of wisdom when I most needed it. He was perhaps the formost impetus that thrust my young and impressionable mind into the music world. I can still remember his words to this day. "Dan, chicks like musicians". I will never forget it.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-12-2008, 01:05 AM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
maplehillfrm Your son did a great job in design and assembly. That alone would make any dad proud. Anytime you can spend time with your children in your shop is a good time. Each one of my three daughters spent time with me out there. I loved it. Fond memories.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #7 of 17 Old 12-12-2008, 11:29 AM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
That's a great project. I've been planning to make a xylophone for a while, but I'm looking for some exotics to use for the "keys". Mind if I ask what you used as mounts? I've been thinking about rubber bushings of some kind but I don't know how much that would dampen the tones.

My 13 year old daughter has asked me to help her make some wooden jewelry as gifts for Christmas this year. We're going to be very busy for a few days.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-12-2008, 06:35 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Fantastic father / son project. I used to bring my daughters into the shop and they would work on projects for hours. They are a little older now and unless it plays music, comes with a joystick, or shows a movie, they're not that interested.
I miss those days. I envy you and congratulate you for getting involved in your son's activities. There are too many parents today that do nothing with their children. You should not only be extremely proud of your son, but proud of yourself as well.
My hat's off to you and your son.

Ken
post #9 of 17 Old 12-12-2008, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

View maplehillfrm's Photo Album My Photos
thanks guys for all the compliments,, my son is glowing, he got 4 out of 4 on the project,, he is happy,,

as far as the mounts, we were going to use a rubber mount as well but it did in fact dampen the tone, we found we needed to have it vibrate more so we took the K.I.S.S. route and had a couple of 4-5" rubber bands we strung between the nails,,

The nails we attached to the "runners" , then drilled bigger holes in teh keys to fit over the nails,,

we just put the rubber bands on one end and kind of zig zagged it through each one and ended on the last nail. put the keys on and away it went. worked good .. vibration was perfect,, good luck with your project, I had loads of fun, pat

the top rubber bands were really only there in case one broke while at school,
post #10 of 17 Old 12-13-2008, 03:36 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
These posts highlight the reverse to all that is wrong in our UK society where children are often seen as useful only for the increased welfare payment. Underclass has recently been exposed by recent fake kidnap case, where a mother who had seven chidren by five different fathers drugged her daughter and arranged for her abduction so she could claim reward money for 'finding' her.

Case has riveted UK for last month or so (google shannon mathews).

I know I benefited from several boating holidays spent with my father and he always got me to help with projects. One day when I was about 12 years old he commented that he could trust me to do something. I immediately rushed to my mother and proudly told her "Dad says he can trust me".

johnep
post #11 of 17 Old 12-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Chester's Gorilla

View Streamwinner's Photo Album My Photos
Very cool. My fondest memories are working with my grandfather in the shop as a young lad and I'm sure your son will appreciate these moments even more as the years pass on.

That first picture of the xylophone from the top looks very Escheresqe.
post #12 of 17 Old 12-15-2008, 09:26 AM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
I give you both an A+. Great job. Red

Red
post #13 of 17 Old 03-03-2009, 09:54 AM

View johnv51's Photo Album My Photos
You never know when a new woodworker is created. My son made a few toys with a coping saw and other hand tools and watched me in the garage from outside (I didn't know he was watching). That was 25 years ago and now he has a nice outbuilding and a few decent power tools and is well on his way to a nice shop. He also has a son that watches.

Spilling wine on oak does not make it purpleheart!
post #14 of 17 Old 03-03-2009, 10:08 AM

View kjhart0133's Photo Album My Photos
I've always claimed that the best gift you can give your kids is to spend time with them. It doesn't have to be "high quality" time, just time. Go to the movies, the zoo, build a project together, play a simple game, e.g. Sorry, Go Fish, whatever. It's not so much what you do, it's just doing it together.

Kevin H.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-04-2009, 05:08 AM

View oldgoat49's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like the kid did a pretty decent job on his project. Doing projects like that is one of the fun things about being a parent. I've been having the daughter and son in law over making a bed, toy box and desk for their daughter and have enjoyed it a lot. The daughter really enjoys doing the work and actually will demand that she gets a part in doing some of the work. The best thing I ever did was build my garage a couple of years ago. Wish I would have done many years ago instead of having to try to make do out of my little single car garage. Makes it so much nicer to have room to turn a piece of plywood around and have the tools to do the work.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-07-2009, 12:36 AM

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
Great job! I think I know what my grand kids will be working on the next time they come to visit!
post #17 of 17 Old 03-07-2009, 10:01 AM

View Julian the woodnut's Photo Album My Photos
Great project! You are a first class dad to have your son out there in the shop with you.

I have very fond memories working out in the shop with my dad when I was a child. I guess that is why I am here today as a full fledged woodnut!

I try and get my 5 year old daughter to come out with me in the shop to do little projects as much as possible. It's a great way to teach responsibility, patience, and coordination. It's also a lot of fun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode