Woodworking/Carpentry Schools in Canada - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 04-27-2015, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

View Sherif's Photo Album My Photos
Woodworking/Carpentry Schools in Canada

Hello,

Any one knows what is the best way to master woodworking, like cabinets, small boxes, humidors, tables, restoration...etc.should one go to school? Or courses?

If so, any knows a good school in Canada, that will move me from a hobbyiest to a professional woodworker.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-27-2015, 10:53 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherif View Post
Hello,

Any one knows what is the best way to master woodworking, like cabinets, small boxes, humidors, tables, restoration...etc.should one go to school? Or courses?

If so, any knows a good school in Canada, that will move me from a hobbyiest to a professional woodworker.

Thanks
Canada is a big country. Did you have any province in mind?

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #3 of 10 Old 04-27-2015, 11:12 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The best way would be to get a job working in a custom woodworking shop or cabinet shop. They don't have time to piddle around with training. They will show you the quickest and easiest way to build something and get paid to learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-28-2015, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Toronto or Ottawa.

I would prefer to have professional training. Like a school.

Thanks guys.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-28-2015, 09:32 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
George Brown College in Toronto is offering some woodworking and carpentry courses.

http://coned.georgebrown.ca/owa_prod...crse_numb=9037

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #6 of 10 Old 04-29-2015, 05:37 PM

View 2lim's Photo Album My Photos
The industrial design programs at Sheridan and OCAD both offer pretty extensive woodworking programs, as well as other media.

Simon
post #7 of 10 Old 04-29-2015, 07:01 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherif View Post
Hello,

Thanks
As Steve mentioned a cabinet shop for basic training. If you stay their long enough you would have the basics and a raise.

I needed an apprentice months ago but had no luck. Since then we have went in house for helpers. Still haven't found my huckleberry . Hard to find someone wanting to make a career out of woodworking.

Not trying to discourage you, but many who think woodworking is great often don't have the patience to "master" it as you say.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-29-2015, 08:47 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
good advice here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lim View Post
The industrial design programs at Sheridan and OCAD both offer pretty extensive woodworking programs, as well as other media.

Simon
I have a Master's Degree in Industrial Design, 30 years in the profession, and taught at a big 10 University for 3 years. I have built trucks, houses, cabinets and furniture and all sorts of other things along the way. See My Photos for some examples.

Take an Industrial Design course with an emphasis on furniture design or product design. You may or may not need a degree, but you will get loads of information and experience IF the school has a quality program.

A school environment has a great advanbtage over some other ways in that you will learn as much from your fellow students as you will from the instructors, and I know this for a fact.

A crash course from a woodworking expert is another great way to gain knowledge and end up building a fine piece of furniture. This will not lead to a Degree in Woodworking, but will greatly improve your skills. Want a real challenge? Take a guitar building course and learn a boatload of woodworking skills and acoustics to boot.

A cabinet shop will have a limited learning curve unless they are building high end stuff and fine woodworking is involved. I would ask what is your goal other than becoming a better woodworker....professional advancement, company ownership etc?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 10 Old 04-30-2015, 08:00 AM

View 2lim's Photo Album My Photos
At both OCAD and Sheridan, the industrial design programs offer "majors" so you can major in furniture making. I have a friend who is doubling down in both programs, and is turning into a brilliant designer and builder.

Simon
post #10 of 10 Old 05-01-2015, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your time and help.

Yes, woodnthings, I think we are more clearer now. I don't think I will need a degree, I want to be sort of professional DIYer, if we can say so. For example, I got the idea that I want to build a humidor. I want to build it exactly like the ones sold on humidor retailers.

By crash course, do you mean, like a private lesson from a pro woodworker?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode