Wooden drawer runner has broken off - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC
  • 1 Post By FrankC
  • 1 Post By redeared

post #1 of 16 Old 04-13-2020, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

View Marydairy's Photo Album My Photos
Wooden drawer runner has broken off

Hello, I found this forum to just ask this question.

I have A writing bureau. The drawers are quite heavy in themselves and quite large. Under the middle drawer, both the runners have fallen off internally. They are just pieces of wood that we’re glued in, which means I can’t use either the middle drawer or the bottom drawer any longer.

I don’t have a drill, I’m wondering if the drawer runners could be glued back on? There is no way I could clamp it. internally. Do I stand a chance of fixing it just using very strong wood glue, and trying to jam something in between the runners as the glue dries to keep them in place? Or should I buy a drill? I would be worried if I drilled to come out the outside of this old beautiful bureau. Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-13-2020, 06:07 AM

View redeared's Photo Album My Photos
Lacking the proper tools wood glue may not hold well enough, I might suggest using a two part epoxy with strips of duct tape holding the runner in place as tight as you can get them and allow to cure over night.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-13-2020, 06:41 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
As the old saying goes, "a picture is worth a thousand words."

George
TobyC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-13-2020, 07:49 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I masde new runners for this dresser ......

A friend's dresser had serious issues, sagging drawer supports, worn out slides and runners, sagging drawer bottoms and warped dust shields. So, I rebuilt the insides making it usable again. I did use quite a few of the machines in my shop for the repairs so I would have been at an impasse without them:

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/a...-repair-11477/

When you can't use clamps because of the location, you can use a "rub" glue joint:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-13-2020 at 08:35 AM.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-13-2020, 07:54 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Marydairy, If you have photos on your computer... You can upload them by dragging to the box at the bottom of "quick reply".

Gary

Woodworking is like wetting myself....Only I know that warm feeling!
post #6 of 16 Old 04-13-2020, 08:14 AM
where's my table saw?

Google photos and the "cloud" .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmercer_48083 View Post
Marydairy, If you have photos on your computer... You can upload them by dragging to the box at the bottom of "quick reply".

In these days of smart phones, the photos are stored in the cloud, at least by Verizon or Google in my case. I am no computer expert, but I have figured out how to post them here:

When making a "Reply" here, there's a window named "Manage Attachments" below. You need to click on and "open" that window and then .....
I go to my "Google Apps" and choose" Photos". Then I select each photo I want and "Download" it. They show up in the task bar at the bottom with code numbers. Write down the last 4 numbers so you can tell which are which as you are downloading them. Then when this site asks you to "Browse" for your photos, you "Open" the one you want to be first, then repeat for the others. Then you must "Upload" them all to the site. Wait until they show in the "Manage Attachments" window and then close it.

Gary's method would be a whole lot easier than this, for certain. Maybe he will explain in detail how that works?

Another, far easier method. I went to "Google Apps" and opened "Photos", then selected this one. I opened the photo in the viewer, and then right clicked, "Copy Image" then "Pasted" it here. This only works in my "Google Browser" where the apps show in the far right corner.

By Golly it worked! Much better than my first method. I'm using this from now on.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-13-2020 at 08:31 AM.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-13-2020, 01:20 PM
That Guy

View JayArr's Photo Album My Photos
If they were glued in originally and lasted 50 years I don't see why gluing them again wouldn't last another 50 years.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-13-2020, 01:49 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
A clamp is something that holds two or more parts together, they come in many different styles, the simplest is a wedge, building supply outlets sell tapered shingles and shims if you don't want to cut them yourself.

Just glue the runner back in place after scraping the old glue off both parts, one at a time, holding them in place using a stick running to the other side with a wedge to lock it in place.

When using wedges it is easier to use two of them together pushing them in toward each other.

Sometimes you need three hands so if you can find an assistant it will go better for you.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #9 of 16 Old 04-13-2020, 04:19 PM
where's my table saw?

Why do we use clamps?

Typically, clamps are used to keep pieces from moving until the glue sets. They can be bungee cords, rubber bands, inner tubes, wedges, spring sticks, bar or pipe clamps or even heavy weights like dumb bells or sand bags, etc. Some time folks use clamps to force poorly jointed pieces together, NOT such a great idea. However, clamps aren't necessary for a strong glue joint when the pieces mate properly.
New glue doesn't like to adhere to old glue, like a relationship gone South, you can't force it back together. Glue bonds by seeping into the open pores of the wood, not because it has some magical properties. If the pores are closed from previous dried glue, then the best adhesive is epoxy. If you can scrape off the old glue down to bare wood, then the new glue will adhere.An epoxy may be your best adhesive in this case.

You can use "spring clamps" made from thin flexible materials like bamboo skewer sticks as long as there is a surface above to wedge them under. This Go Bar Deck uses the thin wood spring pieces between the top and the surface that needs to be held in place evenly:

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...in_guitar.html

post #10 of 16 Old 04-13-2020, 04:27 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
snip This Go Bar Deck uses the thin wood spring pieces between the top and the surface that needs to be held in place evenly:

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...in_guitar.html
For the price of those clamps she could outfit a shop with hand tools.
woodnthings likes this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #11 of 16 Old 04-13-2020, 06:53 PM
where's my table saw?

You hand picked this part out .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
For the price of those clamps she could outfit a shop with hand tools.
Leave to you to find the "highest price" item in my thread, BUT not to quote the entirety of the reply .....

You are just trying to be cute, I know.

post #12 of 16 Old 04-17-2020, 02:06 AM

View Joe Lyddon's Photo Album My Photos
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marydairy View Post
Hello, I found this forum to just ask this question.

I have A writing bureau. The drawers are quite heavy in themselves and quite large. Under the middle drawer, both the runners have fallen off internally. They are just pieces of wood that were glued in, which means I cant use either the middle drawer or the bottom drawer any longer.

I dont have a drill, Im wondering if the drawer runners could be glued back on? There is no way I could clamp it. internally. Do I stand a chance of fixing it just using very strong wood glue, and trying to jam something in between the runners as the glue dries to keep them in place? Or should I buy a drill? I would be worried if I drilled to come out the outside of this old beautiful bureau. Thanks in advance for your help.

The BEST way would be to Buy a Drill; even an old Egg Beater antique would do it!

You want to Glue and Screw the runners into place.

If you cannot buy a drill, GLUE and NAIL them... Not as good a Screwing.

Eventually, you WILL need (you already need a drill) a drill!
It is a very important tool that you should have.
Do a little research and GET the best one you can afford... You will like it in the long run... Of course, you will have to have drill bits and some bits for the various Screw Head types...

Let us know what you decide to do and how you did it... OK?

Thank you & have fun!

Last edited by Joe Lyddon; 04-17-2020 at 02:10 AM.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-18-2020, 05:14 PM
Mossback

View TobyC's Photo Album My Photos
Clean all of the old glue off, and use Titebond original, the glue joint will be stronger than the wood itself, and will last for generations, without nails or screws.

post #14 of 16 Old 04-18-2020, 05:15 PM
Mossback

View TobyC's Photo Album My Photos
A photo would be nice.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-18-2020, 08:30 PM

View redeared's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyC View Post
Clean all of the old glue off, and use Titebond original, the glue joint will be stronger than the wood itself, and will last for generations, without nails or screws.

Well yes and no, on bare wood you get great adhesion, but when the wood pores are sealed from prior glue it is less. And without proper clamping will not hold, that is why I suggested epoxy
woodnthings likes this.
post #16 of 16 Old 04-18-2020, 09:52 PM
where's my table saw?

Gluing to old glue....... won't work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post

New glue doesn't like to adhere to old glue, like a relationship gone South, you can't force it back together. Glue bonds by seeping into the open pores of the wood, not because it has some magical properties. If the pores are closed from previous dried glue, then the best adhesive is epoxy. If you can scrape off the old glue down to bare wood, then the new glue will adhere.An epoxy may be your best adhesive in this case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeared View Post
Well yes and no, on bare wood you get great adhesion, but when the wood pores are sealed from prior glue it is less. And without proper clamping will not hold, that is why I suggested epoxy

You guys need to understand how glue works. This is a great article on types of glues:
https://www.fix.com/blog/choosing-the-right-wood-glue/

Another good explanation of how wood glue works:
https://cottagelife.com/design-diy/e...out-wood-glue/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode