Wood to use for routed bowls - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 12-07-2012, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

View JCMeyersIV's Photo Album My Photos
Wood to use for routed bowls

I recently purchased a handful of holiday router templates for making bowls from eagle america. Wondering what wood would be best to use for these?

"If you don't want to wear chaps, that's fine with me I wouldn't in this heat either, just be careful. The crazy part is: it's 97 degrees out and youre wearing blue jeans. I don't see why you refuse to just wear shorts if you don't want chaps. Jeans are not going to stop a chainsaw from ruining your day."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-07-2012, 01:16 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Any wood that routes easy would work fine. I would probably use walnut or mahogany.

If you don't think long pants are necessary using a chain saw, you should try it on my place that is full of poison oak.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
JCMeyersIV (12-07-2012)
post #3 of 11 Old 12-07-2012, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

HAHAHAHA good call Steve! That was me talking to my old boss. I personally never go in the woods wearing shorts. But this was a bulldozed site with a few tress left standing.

"If you don't want to wear chaps, that's fine with me I wouldn't in this heat either, just be careful. The crazy part is: it's 97 degrees out and youre wearing blue jeans. I don't see why you refuse to just wear shorts if you don't want chaps. Jeans are not going to stop a chainsaw from ruining your day."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 12-07-2012, 05:05 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMeyersIV View Post
I recently purchased a handful of holiday router templates for making bowls from eagle america. Wondering what wood would be best to use for these?
+1 for walnut and mahogany. You can also combine contrasting woods. The Eagle America pictures show combinations of wood if I recall.

Cherry and hickory are nice to contrast with walnut.

To give you an idea, this is a bowl I turned, but the design could also have been routed.

Top ring is walnut, base is hickory. Middle section is jatoba (Brazilian cherry), yellowheart and bubinga.

Top ring is two sections of walnut. I rough cut on the bandsaw to save effort and a lot of sawdust on the lathe.

Wood to use for routed bowls-laminated_bowl_2_0751.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Paine For This Useful Post:
JCMeyersIV (12-07-2012)
post #5 of 11 Old 12-07-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Wow Dave that looks incredible. Thanks for the tip! Going to buy some stock tomorrow. If I can convince my mother into lending me her car... Trucks got the hiccups.

post #6 of 11 Old 12-07-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Wow Dave that looks incredible. Thanks for the tip! Going to buy some stock tomorrow. If I can convince my mother into lending me her car... Trucks got the hiccups.
If you liked the other bowl, some more potential inspiration. This was my second attempt at what I call a laminated bowl.

This was my first. Most folks like this one more than the first. Another option for a routed bowl. This time the middle assembly goes all the way through.

Walnut for the ring, hickory for the base as before. This one the middle assembly is jatoba, hickory and purpleheart.

The walnut rings has small pieces of wenge at the juntion with the middle assembly.

Wood to use for routed bowls-shallow_bowl_top_side.jpg

The middle assembly has a step down. Not my original indent, but I ended up not wanting to turn the walnut down to match the middle assembly. I now really like the effect.

Wood to use for routed bowls-shallow_bowl_left.jpg

Happy bowl making.

Last edited by Dave Paine; 12-07-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: typo
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Paine For This Useful Post:
JCMeyersIV (12-07-2012)
post #7 of 11 Old 12-07-2012, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Im most definitely going to try that! In terms of quick production howeber, without getting too fancy right off, how would poplar fair? It's available close by and I know it stains and routs smoothly. Any thoughts? I want to get a handful made in the next couple weeks to see before Christmas.

post #8 of 11 Old 12-07-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Im most definitely going to try that! In terms of quick production howeber, without getting too fancy right off, how would poplar fair? It's available close by and I know it stains and routs smoothly. Any thoughts? I want to get a handful made in the next couple weeks to see before Christmas.
Poplar is easy to rout. Any wood will not rout smooth on the end grain, so just be prepared. The end grain will need more sanding.

Light passes are recommended as you get close to the desired dimensions.

It can take stain easily, but it can blotch and show inconsistent colour due to variations of colour in the wood.

You can minimize this with Stain Pre-Conditioner, or Zinsser Seal-A-Coat which is a dewaxed shellac product. I use Seal-A-Coat.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-07-2012, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm in that case I may make the drive to a hardwood store to get some walnut. I personally love walnut and I know it works well. I THINK at the store I go to for mahogany walnut is cheaper, but in case it isn't how is mahogany for routing? Haven't had much experience with it yet.

post #10 of 11 Old 12-07-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Hmmm in that case I may make the drive to a hardwood store to get some walnut. I personally love walnut and I know it works well. I THINK at the store I go to for mahogany walnut is cheaper, but in case it isn't how is mahogany for routing? Haven't had much experience with it yet.
Just my opinion, but I think walnut has a much nicer grain than mahogany.

The challenge with mahogany is that this is a term for a variety of species. Some species have different grain and characteristics.

Hence it is not easy to give a comment which works with all mahogany species.

Some mahogany species have "wild" grain which means the grain pattern is running along the board and out of the board. This can mean more tearout, so more sanding to get things smooth.

To illustrate this picture is a sidelight I made for my front door. The wood was purchased from a local lumber yard, since defunct, but it was labelled as "mahogany". The streaks running left to right in the bottom section are actually where the grain is coming out of the board. Planing would raise this grain. I had to sand to get it smooth.

Walnut is normally less expensive and does not usually exhibit such wild grain.

Name:  Sidelight_preparation_small.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  65.2 KB
post #11 of 11 Old 12-07-2012, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Dave, thanks for all your help! And your work is incredible. Ill be sure to keep your name in mind when I finally purchase a lathe as well. Walnut it is!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode