Wood type? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 11-16-2012, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

View npkrause's Photo Album My Photos
Wood type?

Hi all,

I've been building some simple tabletops from reclaimed wood. Thus far, the wood I have used has been from two different sources.

The first tables I built turned a rich red color when finished with teak oil. The second set of tables (also finished with teak oil) were much lighter in color, as you can see. I know that the lighter boards were douglas fir, as they were stamped as such. I was told by the seller that the redder wood was douglas fir as well, though these boards had no visible stamps to verify. The character of the wood of each seemed the same to me-- though I'm a novice and subtler differences could easily go undetected.

My question is-- is the red-colored wood actually douglas fir, and if so, what contributes to the discrepancy in color? I was quite surprised to see such a difference, and I would like to be able to determine this ahead of time in the future when building commissions. Unfortunately I don't have any images of the wood before oiling.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-16-2012, 03:01 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
loggers have told me that many things affect the color of wood - where it grew, top of the hill or bottom of the hill, near water or not, soil type, mineral deposits, etc. a log can supply several differant color boards on its own.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-16-2012, 05:35 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
In addition to TimPa's reply, the fact you are using reclaimed wood adds another factor, namely how the wood was used. Indoor, outdoor, what previous finish, if any, was applied.

I think you will have a difficult time predicting how reclaimed wood will look until you test it with the finish.

It is also difficult to guess at the wood species without pictures of the face and especially the end grain before applying the finish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-16-2012, 05:42 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

When you say "Teak oil" exactly what did you use...name or brand of the product, or a link.

post #5 of 5 Old 11-16-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

View npkrause's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the welcome and the feedback. I believe all boards were used as interior framing-- one source from a house, another from a restaurant. Neither have appeared to have any finish. The teak oil is Watco brand: http://www.homedepot.com/buy/watco-1...sh-a67141.html

Last edited by npkrause; 11-16-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode