Wood Recommendation for Dining Room Table? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 1 Old 06-08-2014, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

View mkoat's Photo Album My Photos
Wood Recommendation for Dining Room Table?

Hello everyone - New to the forums. Have been lurking awhile and am overwhelmed by the abundance of info here. I've done some searches but these projects always have some unique scenarios involved so I figured I'd toss my project and questions into the pot for some advice.

I'm a fairly experienced woodworker in that my finished product usually is consistent with my initial plans - this said, I've never built anything that endures the wear and tear of a dining room table so I'm needing advice. I've dropped a brief description of my plans and some questions below. Please feel free to advise in any capacity on any of this. Thanks in advance!

I'm looking to build a dining room table with a waterfall bubinga veneer table top. Please advise if this is a bad idea!

I intend to also have a wooden frame for the mdf and tabletop assembly. This wood will be painted black. It will need to take paint well, and endure time, water, wear and tear, etc., in a similar capacity to the tabletop itself. Any wood recommendations? The frame will also have some type of hardware that connects to the table legs.

Also, I intend to glue the veneer to MDF as detailed earlier - please advise if this is the incorrect approach. I've only worked with veneer a couple of times and never on a dining room table.

Thanks in advance for input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode