Wood mallet - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 26Likes

post #1 of 27 Old 07-16-2018, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

View JRboostGSR's Photo Album My Photos
Wood mallet

Wood mallet-img_0612.jpgWood mallet-img_0634.jpgWood mallet-img_0633.jpg

Wood mallet was made in the shop took it home to work on some detailing just wanted to show it off maybe get some ideas
Thank you
Freddy
BuiltinWestchester/YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roybrew and Brian72 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-16-2018, 02:53 PM

View Mikhail2400's Photo Album My Photos
looks pretty good so far. Might want to either shape the hand grip a bit or even just add grip tape of some sort. I need to build me one of those also. What material did you use?
JRboostGSR likes this.

Mike
Everything i build comes with a redneck warranty. If it breaks you get to keep both pieces.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikhail2400 For This Useful Post:
JRboostGSR (07-16-2018)
post #3 of 27 Old 07-16-2018, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail2400 View Post
looks pretty good so far. Might want to either shape the hand grip a bit or even just add grip tape of some sort. I need to build me one of those also. What material did you use?

Thank you very appreciated reason I came on here to get some advice we donít have wood shop classes or wood turning clubs here where I live so I turn to the net thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 07-16-2018, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

I used what I had left from a wood floor I installed Red Oak

post #5 of 27 Old 07-16-2018, 04:58 PM

View Brian72's Photo Album My Photos
Looks real good! I need to try my hand at making one. I got plenty of scraps laying around.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
JRboostGSR likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian72 For This Useful Post:
JRboostGSR (07-16-2018)
post #6 of 27 Old 07-16-2018, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian72 View Post
Looks real good! I need to try my hand at making one. I got plenty of scraps laying around.

Give it a go they come in handy when a hammer is way to heavy..

mjadams61 and Brian72 like this.
post #7 of 27 Old 07-16-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRboostGSR View Post
Give it a go they come in handy when a hammer is way to heavy..

I'm sure I'll give it a whirl someday. I just built a pergola for my girlfriend. I wanted to do it the old way so I did all the mortise and tenons with chisels. Ended up just buying a mallet. Time is my biggest enemy. Never home enough to tackle all the projects I want to do. I like the star designs you put on there. Nice touch.

JRboostGSR likes this.
JRboostGSR (07-16-2018)
post #8 of 27 Old 07-16-2018, 07:31 PM

View AlWood's Photo Album My Photos
Looks nice as a decoration, you may put it on the wall, but it is hardly functional. The handle is too straight, can easily slip out of hand; but the main thing is a wrong wood. It looks like it was made from oak (red oak?) or other large-grain wood, which could easily split under strong enough blow. From my past experience, some of the best wood for a hammer-like mallet would be either elm (interlocking grain) or linden wood (very little grain). Could be some other wood too, I simply not very familiar with local wood varieties.
JRboostGSR likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlWood For This Useful Post:
JRboostGSR (07-16-2018)
post #9 of 27 Old 07-16-2018, 07:48 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
it was made from Oak flooring

It appears to be laminated flooring ... right? It also appears to be made from one solid laminated block where the shape including the handle was cut out possibly on a bandsaw ... correct? Is the handle integral with the mallet head, not inserted into a hole, as is the typical method of construction?

A mallet should have sufficient mass to deliver a powerful blow to the cutting instrument. As long as it works for you, the construction doesn't really matter, nor does the life expectancy. When it is no longer serviceable, you can make another one. In this case the cost of materials was zero, so nothing lost in that regard. It is a different approach from any I've seen and I give you credit for trying something out of the ordinary.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-16-2018 at 07:59 PM.
post #10 of 27 Old 07-16-2018, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm sure I'll give it a whirl someday. I just built a pergola for my girlfriend. I wanted to do it the old way so I did all the mortise and tenons with chisels. Ended up just buying a mallet. Time is my biggest enemy. Never home enough to tackle all the projects I want to do. I like the star designs you put on there. Nice touch.

Thatís awesome time is something that holds us away from wood work..if possible would like to see a pic of the work you did.
Thank you very appreciated
Freddy

Brian72 likes this.
post #11 of 27 Old 07-16-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Thatís awesome time is something that holds us away from wood work..if possible would like to see a pic of the work you did.
Thank you very appreciated
Freddy

Here's a few pics. Still more to do but I was glad to get the frame up. It's 6x6 Walnut except for the 2 cross beams on each end. Those are Ash.

JRboostGSR likes this.
JRboostGSR (07-16-2018)
post #12 of 27 Old 07-16-2018, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlWood View Post
Looks nice as a decoration, you may put it on the wall, but it is hardly functional. The handle is too straight, can easily slip out of hand; but the main thing is a wrong wood. It looks like it was made from oak (red oak?) or other large-grain wood, which could easily split under strong enough blow. From my past experience, some of the best wood for a hammer-like mallet would be either elm (interlocking grain) or linden wood (very little grain). Could be some other wood too, I simply not very familiar with local wood varieties.

Where can I locate exotic wood like that I live in Westchester New York anyone on this thread from my area that has any hard wood maybe we can work something out but thank you for the advise I did think about the splitting and I was thinking to finish it and hang it on my wall in my little shop..thank you I do appreciate all the positive feedback I must say thereís a good group of men on here.
Freddy
BuiltinWestchester/youtube

Brian72 likes this.
post #13 of 27 Old 07-16-2018, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Here's a few pics. Still more to do but I was glad to get the frame up. It's 6x6 Walnut except for the 2 cross beams on each end. Those are Ash.

Wow amazing work I like the way the wood has that rustic look to it.looks strong may last a thousand years looks good stay hydrated here where iam itís been very muggy very humid..
Freddy

Brian72 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to JRboostGSR For This Useful Post:
Brian72 (07-16-2018)
post #14 of 27 Old 07-16-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Wow amazing work I like the way the wood has that rustic look to it.looks strong may last a thousand years looks good stay hydrated here where iam itís been very muggy very humid..
Freddy

Thanks! I'm gonna sand it down. I like the rough look too but Walnut is just too pretty. Been hot as hell here too!

post #15 of 27 Old 07-16-2018, 10:25 PM

View Mikhail2400's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Where can I locate exotic wood like that I live in Westchester New York anyone on this thread from my area that has any hard wood maybe we can work something out but thank you for the advise I did think about the splitting and I was thinking to finish it and hang it on my wall in my little shop..thank you I do appreciate all the positive feedback I must say thereís a good group of men on here.
Freddy
BuiltinWestchester/youtube

Ive done a bit of looking around on the net and you can buy different exotic woods from several dealers, ebay and the like. I have not personally purchased any for myself as of yet, my shops still under construction. Just do a google search of exotic woods and you will get several selections to choose from. Im sure some of the more experienced guys can tell you better places to look for woods also.
JRboostGSR likes this.

Mike
Everything i build comes with a redneck warranty. If it breaks you get to keep both pieces.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikhail2400 For This Useful Post:
JRboostGSR (07-16-2018)
post #16 of 27 Old 07-16-2018, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail2400 View Post
Ive done a bit of looking around on the net and you can buy different exotic woods from several dealers, ebay and the like. I have not personally purchased any for myself as of yet, my shops still under construction. Just do a google search of exotic woods and you will get several selections to choose from. Im sure some of the more experienced guys can tell you better places to look for woods also.

Thank you this is why iam looking for some hard wood
I have a couple more handles to do and the wood I have is not a good candidate for handle material but iam gonna do a google search see hat I can find maybe some thing close I can pick up myself..

post #17 of 27 Old 07-16-2018, 11:25 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
A source I sometimes use for exotic woods is bell forrest products in northern Michigan.

http://www.bellforestproducts.com/

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.
JRboostGSR likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Terry Q For This Useful Post:
JRboostGSR (07-17-2018)
post #18 of 27 Old 07-17-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Thank you this is why iam looking for some hard wood
I have a couple more handles to do and the wood I have is not a good candidate for handle material but iam gonna do a google search see hat I can find maybe some thing close I can pick up myself..

I have some Walnut and Ash scraps I could send you if you're interested. Don't know if I have any Maple laying around.

post #19 of 27 Old 07-17-2018, 10:44 AM

View Larry42's Photo Album My Photos
A very long time ago I made my mallet from Osage orange. It has been extremely durable. It was made for carving. I greatly prefer round mallets. You don't have to look at the mallet in use, because the feed back from your hand always tells you to move a bit left or right with the next stroke.. I made the handle with a sort of oval grip area and a bulge at the end so it always told my hand where it was. It is one piece with the head tapered.
JRboostGSR likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry42 For This Useful Post:
JRboostGSR (07-17-2018)
post #20 of 27 Old 07-17-2018, 12:27 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
I'm not so certain that the plywood striking faces will turn out to be very bash-worthy.
But for the light tapping to fit cabinet work, could be ideal.
Q: What about a leather striking face?
The squarish handle is OK = easier to line up the flat faces of the mallet at needed.

Use the "Kestrel Constant" to make handles for your hand size.
Palm up, fist-grip, the tips of your second and third fingers should just touch the fat ball part of your thumb.

That's a wood carving dimension that works very well for crooked knives, elbow adzes and the D adzes of the wood carvers in the Pacific Northwest.
For my hands, I need a blank of 7/8" square and work it down some. Then a layer of #18 tarred nylon seine cord to make it just a little sticky.

This is a good bladesmith to show you the tool designs. They don't make mallets.

http://kestreltool.com/index.html
JRboostGSR likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian T. For This Useful Post:
JRboostGSR (07-17-2018)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode