Woodworking Talk banner

Wood ID help, Antique Commode/Wash Stand

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  homestd 
#1 ·
Hope this is ok to post this, as it's not really woodworking but refinishing. Anyway, I'm restoring this wash stand and am trying to nail down what type of wood it's made out of. At first glance it looks a bit like Oak, but it isn't. It's fairly light, more like the weight of pine.

Full pic after being mostly stripped:

Table top, finish removed:

The raw, unfinished wood:

The best I can figure out, is that it is Elm. Either American Elm or Red Elm.
Looked in a wood ID book here's American Elm:

Red Elm:

I'm leaning towards American Elm as it doesn't look as red as Red Elm. I know it's hard to ID wood from just a few pics. Just curious about what it's made out of. I used this piece as a dresser when I was a kid, so it's got sentimental value. Thanks for any help that can be provided!
Brad

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, it certainly looks like Ash. It just doesn't seen to have the density of Ash. I have some Ash, I'll compare it when I look at it again. And yes it is LOUD grain. It was covered with a muddy lacquer finish to hide all that grain. I'm putting Poly Shades Walnut on it to hide that grain a bit. Thanks for the reply.

#5 · (Edited)
LilysDad, I believe you win a cookie.:smile2: Here's a scrap piece of Ash next to the unfinished, inside of the door. I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't even consider that it was Ash! Thank you!

I've put some of the finish on the drawers and it's looking OK.(it's still wet,it's a satin finish) The thing is, I use Lacquer Thinner to dissolve the old finish, but some of it stays behind and keeps the wood "sealed". I agree, sanded raw ash doesn't take stain/finish very well.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.