wood id ? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 08-21-2016, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
wood id ?

Picked up some more freebie cut offs at the saw mill. This time there was very little red oak. But I cannot id two of the woods. Help

The second from the left is red oak. The extreme right is black locust. Not sure what the third fourth and fifth pieces are though. I suspect the 4th is ash, but not sure.

The wood that is 5th reminds me of poplar, light weight and no big open pores like the Oak, but it is not green or light, just this tan cut. All are freshly cut.

Last edited by holtzdreher; 08-21-2016 at 01:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-21-2016, 01:24 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
3 and 5 look like softwoods.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #3 of 4 Old 08-21-2016, 04:24 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
5 looks like Doug Fir.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-24-2016, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
Well oh boy I saw the saw mill owner today as I passed and stopped to talk to him. Got some better turning blanks suitable for bowls today. The woods 3 and 4 are pin oak, the 5th is Elm. The last one, that I thought was black locust, he says, he often cuts black locust into fence posts, but if it was in the cut off pile at the skid operation, it was mulberry. So that last one is mulberry, not black locust. (He did add that I shouldn't feel too bad about thinking it is black locust. the two woods are often mistaken for each other, and mulberry is not a commonly encountered wood. I also got access to a different section of the mill for cut offs where pieces suitable for bowl blanks can be found.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode