Wood Glue still usable? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 12-07-2012, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

View Bronson's Photo Album My Photos
Wood Glue still usable?

I recently bought one of the larger containers of yellow wood glue for a repair project. After using what I needed I put the rest into a cabinet for later use. My building is unheated and we've has some night time freezing weather down into the 20's. I knew that the glue label said to protect it from freezing however I forgot move it. I don't know how bad it froze if at all? How can I tell if it's damaged or still usable? It doesn't look any different than before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
I recently bought one of the larger containers of yellow wood glue for a repair project. After using what I needed I put the rest into a cabinet for later use. My building is unheated and we've has some night time freezing weather down into the 20's. I knew that the glue label said to protect it from freezing however I forgot move it. I don't know how bad it froze if at all? How can I tell if it's damaged or still usable? It doesn't look any different than before.

Thaw it out...let it get to usable temps (over 50 deg) and try it out. It should still be OK.

post #3 of 3 Old 12-07-2012, 06:32 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Usually if there is any damage to liquid glue with glue freezing it gets clumps in it. I normally just strain it through some screen wire so it doesn't stop up the glue bottle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode