Wood Filler - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By John Smith_inFL

post #1 of 5 Old 03-21-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
Wood Filler

I have a wooden storage box that is put together with recessed screws. The screws are covered with wooden plugs. Some of the plugs were lost over the years and the holes are tapered (counter sunk). I really don't want to turn this into a woodworking project by some how drilling the recesses square and then cutting plugs. I don't know how I could get completely round holes, not having a solid center.

What I thought about doing was filling with wood filler (Plastic Wood) and then sanding flush. Then I could paint.
Would you expect the wood filler plug to hold or pop out?

Last edited by Steve Neul; 03-21-2019 at 09:18 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-21-2019, 09:25 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
I have a wooden storage box that is put together with recessed screws. The screws are covered with wooden plugs. Some of the plugs were lost over the years and the holes are tapered (counter sunk). I really don't want to turn this into a woodworking project by some how drilling the recesses square and then cutting plugs. I don't know how I could get completely round holes, not having a solid center.

What I thought about doing was filling with wood filler (Plastic Wood) and then sanding flush. Then I could paint.
Would you expect the wood filler plug to hold or pop out?
There is a few different plugs you could use. Some of the hole plugs available are tapered and it could be an exact fit for your needs. You might also fill the hole with a piece of a dowel with some epoxy and then fill the rest. A fill made out of wood would look much better than wood putty. Not only that to fill a hole with wood putty you would have to fill a little at a time in many applications or it would never dry right. Another option would be to tint bondo with a universal tinting color and use that. At least you could fill the hole all at once.
https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools...04704032&psc=1
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
djg (03-21-2019)
post #3 of 5 Old 03-21-2019, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks Steve. I don't think I was descriptive enough, though. The box is going to be a camp storage box and will be painted. I just didn't want to go to all the trouble of trying to find plugs or making them. I wanted something quick. But your idea of using a straight plug (dowel) and the filling in the rest (small groove) should work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-21-2019, 10:22 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Thanks Steve. I don't think I was descriptive enough, though. The box is going to be a camp storage box and will be painted. I just didn't want to go to all the trouble of trying to find plugs or making them. I wanted something quick. But your idea of using a straight plug (dowel) and the filling in the rest (small groove) should work.
I think if you are going to paint if you would let bondo harden 24 hours before you sand it would fill the best. With any kind of a plug or dowel you would have to sand it flat and then putty it again to get rid of smaller voids. Bondo should do it in one application. You just have to wait 24 hours because it shrinks as it hardens. If you sand too early there would be a slight impression where the fill was.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-22-2019, 09:00 AM
Central Florida

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
when using a permanent filler that will harden,
I always press a small dab of candle wax over the
screw head first ~ just in case someone wants to
take it apart in the future. (especially on boats).

it is going to be a camp storage box and will be painted
don't over think it !!!

Jay C. White Cloud likes this.

-- Failure is proof that you at least tried ~ now, go do it again, and again, until you get it right --

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode