Wood Drying Question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 10-17-2016, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

View Tech0507's Photo Album My Photos
Wood Drying Question

Good Evening,
Approximately 2-3 years ago I milled some quartersawn 1.25in thick red oak using an Alaskan chainsaw mill. It has been on a lumber drying rack outside and under cover since. Last weekend planed the lumber down to 4/4 which will ultimately be planed down to 3/4in thick. The lumber has been moved inside a basement that where the humidity is 38% and dehumidifiers are running.

My question is I plan on using this lumber to make a bed frame. In your opinion how long should the lumber be left inside to dry before planing it down to final thickness and it being ready to use for this application.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-17-2016, 08:43 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Hard to say. The safest thing you could do is use a moisture content meter. According to general procedure you have certainly allowed the wood to dry long enough. Be sure to check the wood for any small dust piles. Sometimes the wood can get infested with insects which you can contaminate your home with. This is one reason using a dry kiln is desirable.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-17-2016, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

View Tech0507's Photo Album My Photos
Steve,
Thanks so much for the feedback. I've been looking into building a solar kiln, unfortunately I haven't had the time to do so quite yet. Everything looked pretty clean coming in. I have some maple in a different location that unfortunately became infested with powder post beetles and I can see the holes with frass. There are definitely no termites or carpenter ants etc.. Insect wise I'm assuming this is what you were referring to... is there anything else I should be aware of? I am located in CT.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-17-2016, 11:39 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
There is a wide variety of insects to worry about however I think powder post beetles are the worst. I've worked on furniture from Europe which had been infested with them and a lot of the parts you could just crumble in the palm of your hand into dust. They make a few holes on the outside and eat everything between.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode