Wood drilling question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 03-17-2009, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

View Ohio Ron's Photo Album My Photos
Wood drilling question

My background is mostly instrumentation. I have dealt with many other fields and have some understanding of most. Went I went into woodworking, I found that like, most other fields, it was specialized. You have tools designed just for wood. No surprise there. However, when I saw the same metal drill press used for wood, I was surprised. I see many, many jigs that guys make to it adapt for wood working.
So my question is, "Is there wood drilling shop tool that is designed around wood working?"
If so where can I see such a tool?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-18-2009, 04:45 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
The basic drill press can be used for drilling both metals and wood. The major difference in application is that metals are usually drilled at a slower RPM than wood.

There are options on drill presses that can be more metal specific, like a lubricator dispenser. Some shapes and designs of drill press vises may have different looking jaws.

So to offer a general answer, a drill press with multiple pulley to pulley ratio choices, or variable speed motors, for spindle speed can be used for drilling many different materials. AFAIK, there's not a specific wood drilling machine (other than a hollow chisel mortiser), for wood. Some of the drill bits are interchangeable for wood or metals, but there are some that are specific to each.

post #3 of 11 Old 03-18-2009, 06:17 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
The major difference in application is that metals are usually drilled at a slower RPM than wood.

I have always practised it reversed. Most times in drilling metals I want a slow speed.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Creative sawdust maker

View ScottyB's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
I have always practised it reversed. Most times in drilling metals I want a slow speed.

George
Am I the only one that reads this disagreement as an agreement?
post #5 of 11 Old 03-19-2009, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

View Ohio Ron's Photo Album My Photos
I have been told that a radial arm drill press(?) is made for woodworking. I did a search on that kind of drill an got many hits. Most were not something that I would buy (or apply) and also too much for me to afford. The main thing I would like is something that a normal guy can afford and that will work better at doing the drilling wood projects. I'd rather hear from someone that has used that kind of drill and can give me some advise.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Ron
post #6 of 11 Old 03-19-2009, 12:05 AM
Chief pencil holder

View scribbles's Photo Album My Photos
He is drunk posting like i am :)
post #7 of 11 Old 03-19-2009, 05:59 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Some of us have a hard time reading at 5:30 in the morning. Sometimes we see things reversed. I think there must be a word for that. I wonder who that could be?

George
post #8 of 11 Old 03-19-2009, 10:53 AM

View Lucas54's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

George
You're both wrong...I always drill wood at a higher speed.

As to the OP, I saw you mention a radial head drill press. Grizzly has a really nice one for a fairly reasonable price.
Floor Model
http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-Sp...ll-Press/G7946

Benchtop
http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-Sp...ll-Press/G7945

I've actually got the Floor model on my wish list right now.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-19-2009, 03:31 PM

View bandman's Photo Album My Photos
I thought you said you were going to start calling yourself Colorado Ron since you had moved? Anyway, I think the way to go is a good floor model drill press. I have used expensive ones ($1200 or more), and I have used cheap ones and there is a big difference. You're not going to believe this but the one I now use was on sale at Harbor Freight for less than $250 a couple years back and I will tell you it works better than the Powermatic I tried ( and I am a real supporter of Powermatic tools.) I have been a woodworker for 45 years and have only had two drill presses; I bought one of them from the back end of a semi at a motel tool sale and used it for a full time woodworking business for over 20 years..then I bought my last one at Harbor Freight...they were both the same brand. I believe the brand name is Central. I use the press mostly for cutting 3" wheels out of walnut using a circle cutter and I also make rosettes on it...no problems. I have made hundreds of wheels and rosettes
and the HF doesn't have the play in the spindle that the Powermatic has.
Maybe I just got lucky and found a good one, because I usually NEVER buy tools from Harbor Freight that I intend to use on a regular basis. I have a hand power planer that I use maybe twice a year and it works fine. I bought one of their floor staplers to do one kitchen and if I do another I think I'll rent....only cost $100 and got me through the job, but kept jaming up on me.
Get the heaviest duty press you can find with a large spindle. Remember, you will have to assemble it yourself....have someone there to help you lift the head to the top of the column. Just like a table saw or lathe, mass is important and if I bought one sight unseen I would certainly go for the one that weighed the most.

Bandman.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-20-2009, 09:27 AM

View BORKBOB's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Some of us have a hard time reading at 5:30 in the morning. Sometimes we see things reversed. I think there must be a word for that. I wonder who that could be?

George
It's called lysdexia

I have a Clark "Metalworker" 15" DP from Tractor Supply. I did not buy it, my wife did. She also had it loaded (assembled) into her 2-door Dodge Stratus and presented it to me (in the car) on Christmas morning. I about got a hernia unloading it.

If you knew my wife, you would know that I would be expected to use this drill press to fashion bushings for the space shuttle. There is no such thing as a "better" drill press because there are "feelings" installed on this one.

The good news is that it does everything I need done and it works just fine. The other good news is that when I do upgrade it will have to be bigger. She will accept the need for a larger machine. More good news is that I will then have two DP's because selling this one is not an option.

Semper Fi

Please pray for our troops.

Bob Ross
theborkstore.com
post #11 of 11 Old 03-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Joonya Membah

View bzbatl's Photo Album My Photos
Love the avatar/SN - I used to walk around saying "bork bork bork" as a kid, lol.

I'm working on an entire garage cabinet system right now and the wife came outside the other day and watched me use the router she bought me for xmas 3 years ago.

"Where the hell are you getting all this money for these new tools?"

Me: "Dang, this was my Christmas present from you, woman!"

"I didn't get you that!"

I think she's trying to use my tool purchases as leverage for new jewelry or shoes or something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode