Wood Cracking? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 5 Old 01-09-2018, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

View scroller99's Photo Album My Photos
Wood Cracking?

I was watching a video the other day on cutting boards. It was how to best avoid the cracking of the wood. What he done was to make the thickness in layers. Each layer would go opposite of each other. His reasoning was when the grain would go to expand it could not move because if the top layer tried to move in one direction the second layer would prevent it, and so on. This was his reasoning. The theory is sound. But what works in theory doesn't necessarily work once it is all said and done.

What are you thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-09-2018, 12:31 AM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
This is the practice in plywood. Im not sure how well this works with thicker wood though, theres a lot of stress can build up in the layers. Usually cutting boards are made in strips with the grain all one way so the expansion and contraction is all together.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-09-2018, 01:43 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
I haven't had any cutting boards crack on me just yet, so I guess that means I did something right.

God I love Trigger. Inferno Cop is exactly the sort of idiocy they do, It's what makes them so cool. Met them all, great guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-09-2018, 10:44 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by scroller99 View Post
I was watching a video the other day on cutting boards. It was how to best avoid the cracking of the wood. What he done was to make the thickness in layers. Each layer would go opposite of each other. His reasoning was when the grain would go to expand it could not move because if the top layer tried to move in one direction the second layer would prevent it, and so on. This was his reasoning. The theory is sound. But what works in theory doesn't necessarily work once it is all said and done.

What are you thoughts?
This works with layers of veneer but if used in the manor you described will cause the wood to crack where it might not otherwise. Just another case of fake news in woodworking.
Toolman50 likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-09-2018, 03:34 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Generally when you see a new idea like that ask yourself why you haven't seen it done before in the last thousand or so years. Every trade has what is known as best practices, tried and true ways of doing things, trouble usually follows when they are ignored.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode