Wood counter tops - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 07-28-2013, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

View Tim Knight's Photo Album My Photos
Wood counter tops

Well I have a big problem. I have installed new home made wooden counter tops. I have never undertook a big job like that. I am happy with the counters but it seems I used the wrong silicone caulk for my under mount sink,it never really set up, even after a couple of days. I just dug it all out I hope,now i will let it sit for a day or two. What is the best caulk to use in a situation like this ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-28-2013, 11:53 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
You put in an undermount sink in a wood countertop? How did you seal the wood around the sink?
post #3 of 7 Old 07-29-2013, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl
You put in an undermount sink in a wood countertop? How did you seal the wood around the sink?
The wood I used had varnish on both sides,it was reclaimed bleacher seats ,hart wood pine.So I only planned one side ,putting the clean side up. Then ran a bead of caulk around sink before I put counter down over the sink. After putting Waterlox on the counter side I planed down. I hope to have resolved the problem this morning. Ran a bead of clear silicone around edge of under mount sink and counter. Hope that creates a good seal.what do you think ? Thank you for your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Knight View Post
The wood I used had varnish on both sides,it was reclaimed bleacher seats ,hart wood pine.So I only planned one side ,putting the clean side up. Then ran a bead of caulk around sink before I put counter down over the sink. After putting Waterlox on the counter side I planed down. I hope to have resolved the problem this morning. Ran a bead of clear silicone around edge of under mount sink and counter. Hope that creates a good seal.what do you think ? Thank you for your thoughts.
How is the sink attached to the underside of the counter top?

post #5 of 7 Old 08-01-2013, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for asking . So far it seems like things will work out. The silicone I put between the sink and wood counter is not dry (it's been 3 days).

We are using the sink. So far,so good.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-01-2013, 11:41 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Can you screw a wooden bracket under the sink to hold the weight. Then all the silicone would have to do is seal the water out. The granite people use a paste epoxy to glue an undercounter sink. It would hold better but I would hate to be the one to change the sink when it wears out.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-02-2013, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for replying. Before putting down the wood counter I put a thin sheet of o.s.b. down to have a flat surface to work off,and then I set the sink. The wood counter is then put over the sink and overhangs the counter by a inch and a half. I will run quarter round over the o.s.b. to cover it under the over hang.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode