Woodworking Talk banner

Wood choice for stained bookcase

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  DK75 
#1 ·
I am going to build a small bookcase for my daughter's bedroom and want to stain it similar to Dark Cherry. We can't seem to find any bookcase on the market that is close to the finish on her existing furniture....without spending a fortune.

I am looking at this as an opportunity to learn some new woodworking skills.

My plans will allow me to build this case using one 4x8 piece of veneer plywood. Should I use Birch veneer or Oak veneer??? Both are priced equally. Keep in mind I hope to find a stain that resembles dark cherry.

#4 ·
Good observation, Daren. And, although birch grain will look similar to cherry, you will want to do a little research first before diving into staining the birch - especially a dark color. Birch can be blotchy and if you use wood conditioner or a shelac coat prior to staining (to prevent blotchy appearance), you may have a hard time getting it dark enough. I'm not an expert on finishing but you may have to dye it to get the color even. I'm not trying to scare you, just encouraging you to do some research before diving into staining (trust me - if there's anyone that knows about screwing up stain, it's me!). I'm sure there are some experts on this forum that can help more with the finishing.

#5 ·
good points and much appreciated. I will weigh the costs of Cherry veneer. To be honest I am not even sure if the other furniture is Cherry wood. It is sold and marketed as "cherry" color, however much darker than other manufacturers cherry color. The color is dark enough that the wood grain does not show up much. I may just get a small stock piece of each wood and experiment with the various staining methods. Geoguy makes a good point about conditioner. Others have told me this is needed to avoid blotchy spots after staining.

I am not expecting to come out with an excellent piece. Function over form on this one and more interested in getting into the garage with the tools and some new jigs. Just picked up a Kreg pocket screw jig and excited to learn new methods fo joinery.

Thanks all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.