Woodworking Talk banner

Windows-10 vs. Windows Anything

6K views 77 replies 31 participants last post by  JamesTinKS 
#1 ·
For over the last 25+ years I've been around swap meets and have heard, "I wouldn't run Windows xyz." What can I say? They're happy with MS-DOS, Linux, Red Hat or whatever. Let's forget about that conversation. To each his own.

Several years ago MS got a new executive that made what is probably the best corporate decision ever. The decision saved MS millions and at the same time made MS users totally enamored with MS. Competitors on the other hand said openly that the executive was an (improper adjective) idiot.

The decision was to upgrade all Windows versions to Windows-10. Individual users were free, while corporate users encountered a modest fee. The decision was brilliant and reduced MS support costs significantly. If you think about it, big bad MS says to the world, "We're dropping support on your version of Windows." Users are delighted or don't give a damn.

When looking out from the MS viewpoint, the most problematic, buggy and vulnerable to infections were individual systems. These can be made secure and kept secure. This reduces the bad press that MS would get when a new vulnerability was discovered in down versions.

When looking from the viewpoint into MS, there were teams (yes plural teams) maintaining down versions of Windows. Think, a manager and 10 or 12 people. That is an unnecessary expense. There are two problems or issues maintaining down versions. First the programmers don't want to work on old software. They are always bidding on jobs in other departments. Second tracing through someone else's code is a nightmare at best. If you have ever had to do it and encountered spaghetti code, you understand and why programmers tend to drink.

In another life, I spent three weeks trying to understand one particular instruction of assembler code. Finally I asked the manufacturer (LM Ericson) of the system / operating system, why. The response I got back was that they had been looking for that bug for over 5 years. Believe me what I say that trying to understand someone else's code is a nightmare. On top of that, telephony systems in those days were shear agony.

I don't know if it is still policy, but I upgraded both the desk top and lap top for free. The best computing decisions I ever made. I know that on second Tuesdays a new release is ready. And, yes I update both systems every month.

There was a comment that I heard while in an "Access" class at a Community College. One of the students, still in her teens and a single mom with a 3 year old. She was still living at home, drawing assistance from the state, on food stamps with tuition being paid for by the state. She had a computer that was at best a double hand-me-down. During a break, people were bashing Bill Gates for something that was current at the time. She said something that changed my perspective about Uncle Bill and Microsoft.

She said, "Bill Gates made it possible for people like me to have a computer." That statement was like getting hit by a train. I realized that MS is not the bad guy that so many try to make them out to be.

My advice here is to upgrade to W-10. If it isn't free anymore, try going to a Microsoft store and ask for a URL for the free upgrade. You can try a sob story like, "My dad died and he never upgraded." "Would you upgrade it for me?" "It was my brother's machine and I doubt that he even knew how to turn it on."

There are few things that are better than sliced bread but Windows-10 is one of them.

See less See more
#2 ·
You can actually do something as simple as change the clock on a Windows 7 computer back to get the free update to Windows 10:
https://www.ghacks.net/2019/11/30/here-is-why-free-upgrades-to-windows-10-still-work/

Stupidly easy to do to. Course, youll always encounter That One Guy™ who will declare proudly that he wont upgrade because X program doesnt work in 10 or his settings are just the way he likes or Microsoft doesnt need any more money. Dont be that guy. That software that isnt supported in 10? Its not supported because its a bug-riddled mess that opens all sorts of vulnerabilities in your computer and was rendered obsolete years ago. Your settings transfer over seamlessly, and its a free upgrade, Microsoft makes nothing.

Face it yall, youre scared of progress. Update your computers, stop being a vector of transmission for every bit of malware that comes out targeting this obsolete software

#9 ·
................................Face it yall, youre scared of progress. Update your computers, stop being a vector of transmission for every bit of malware that comes out targeting this obsolete software
I dont know anything about computers and I am wondering how much you know. I tried the free upgrade to Win 10 from Win 7 when it first came out. I forgot how many days we were allowed to transfer back because there was definitely a time limit. When running my 'upgraded' laptop in Win 10, it got real slow. I spoke to several people about it, including some fairly knowledgeable people. They pretty much said the same thing. My laptop probably didnt have the internal workings to handle the Win 10 because Win 10 required more memory or speed or something like that so I went back to Win 7.
So get off your high horse and come visit me in Texas and fix my laptop to work on Win 10, or just learn to be more careful with your words and phrases.

I have all my notes, photos, etc backed up and will continue to do so. I dont do online banking or anything that requires me to be concerned about security passwords That is all done on GF's laptop which also went through the free upgrade from Win 7 way back when. Her upgrade had not slowed down much like mine did.

So if you want to talk tough, fine, I'm not impressed.

#3 ·
I held out on Windows XP for as long as I could. I hated Vista and drivers for stuff I needed were scarce. We got Windows 7 at work and it was ok, but I was accustomed to XP and kept it at home. My girlfriend bought a laptop with Windows 8, and it's the dumbest thing I've ever seen. My home PC finally bit the dust about a year ago so I bought a new one with Windows 10, and I was really surprised at how much I like it. I've had no problems finding drivers for older hardware (or in some cases just used it with XP drivers and it works) and anything I can't find or figure out on my own I can search for it right in the Start menu.

#4 ·
I gave @NoThankyou a "like" because he is encouraging others to upgrade their older Windows systems to Windows 10. From a safety and security point of view, that's a good idea.

My advice is:
If you are running Windows 7 or earlier, I recommend that you upgrade it to Windows 10, replace the computer, or do not allow it to connect to the internet.

I have nothing to say about Microsoft, Windows, or other operating systems like Linux. If you like them, great. If you don't, great. However you feel about them, you are right and I won't argue.

Regarding computer security, I have seen some good advice and also very bad advice here on WoodworkingTalk.

This is a woodworking forum. It is not a good place to learn good computing practices. I strongly urge others to do their own homework outside WoodworkingTalk regarding Microsoft's end of support for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 (R2, too). There is good information out there, at all levels of interest and capability.

#5 ·
Odd topic for a Woodworking Forum.......

I try to stay away from computer discussions on non computer forums, people don't know me unless they've seen me on Maximum PC forums, Mushkin forums, Corsair forums, EVGA forums, Newegg forums, etc....

I've agonized for several minutes deciding if I should break from that tradition here.

In the end, I've decided to only say that I'm happy using my Windows 7 Pro on my Z370 / i7-8700 gaming rig for the next few years, while Ubuntu continues to be developed & improved.... For those that love Windows 10 - god bless you, and be careful what you read, watch, play, search, do with your computer.......................... & no I will not elaborate any further than that unless you are a lawyer and follow proper channels.

#7 ·
I try to stay away from computer discussions on non computer forums, people don't know me unless they've seen me on Maximum PC forums, Mushkin forums, Corsair forums, EVGA forums, Newegg forums, etc....

I've agonized for several minutes deciding if I should break from that tradition here.

In the end, I've decided to only say that I'm happy using my Windows 7 Pro on my Z370 / i7-8700 gaming rig for the next few years, while Ubuntu continues to be developed & improved.... For those that love Windows 10 - god bless you, and be careful what you read, watch, play, search, do with your computer.......................... & no I will not elaborate any further than that unless you are a lawyer and follow proper channels.

What was just said here???

George

#10 ·
Interesting thread. I had a friend who designed programs/software for the healthcare industry. My first computer had Digital Research DOS (DR DOS), aka Doctor DOS. He said that was a better system than Microsoft Windows but guess who got all the hype???
Sign in an office- To err is human; To really screw it up, you need a computer.

#16 ·
Windows 10 doesn't suck. That's pretty good, considering the source. Some older software works, some specialty programs do not. But overall, I am using all the software possible, including some pretty old versions of Office. I do find that all modern Microsoft products require multiple clicks to accomplish actions that used to be quick and a click or two at most. Office today is using a variation on the old WordStar menu, but call it the ribbon. Just hate that thing. I have many licenses for Office 2003 (bought dozens of legal copies in original boxes), and the drop down menus get out of the way for what counts, the informatin you are entering. Happily, it installs and works well on Win 10. I started out resisting 10 until I had to convert an Access app to run on 32 bit machines. One of our clients managed to install the original version for 16 bit Windows on 10 with no problem. So I bit the bullet and bought a 10 laptop, and turns out I like it.

#18 ·
one thing that no one mentioned about 10, is that MS can send updates down the line any time they want to. in essence, they have control of your computer and can do anything they want to with it. i have 10 at work and 7 at home. it would be like me coming into your shop and using your tools whether your there or not. its a privacy issue with me.

#19 ·
More like a handyman coming into your home when you're not there and fixing the broken sink before it floods the whole house.

Privacy is a valid concern for anyone, but easily dismissed in this instance. Microsoft is not the boogeyman. They aren't going to do you any harm. Besides, you give up more privacy just by browsing the internet.

#20 ·
I switched to Win 10 on my desktop but kept 7 on my laptop because it couldn't support 10 since it's older. I don't like using 10. It's too hard for me to find things. I like the way 7 flows and not being a computer person can get by just fine with it. Plus I don't like being prodded into buying a new computer evey time I get an alert from MS that 7 is unsupported. Not in the budget.

#25 ·
I think one thing alot of people dont realize is basically is that microsoft is letting you use their software. Read the fine print and that gives them every legal right to update their software. It sucks I know but hey if you want to have a OS that you can call your own then go the Linux route and Linux has gotten more easier to use since the earlier versions, alot of them have easy to use desktops still a pain when loading drivers but hey its getting easier.

#30 ·
I personally liked the stone tablet methods. They last for millions of years. However All my computers are windows 10 I have upgraded 3 of them and the latest came out with 10 on them. Most stable platform I have ever used. Boot up time is seconds and anyone that wants to keep the old stuff... I had a xpro system running for 13 years or so. Replaced the power supply on it and only used it to serve webpages. Didn't' surf the web with it or run any programs on it except a virus software and the webserver software. Updates were turned off many years ago. Hard drive started getting bad sectors and it was time to upgrade. Bought a refurbished win 10 system and parked the old server on the shelf for just in case.

I work with Broadband connections daily. I see some really old computers out there and I ask them WHY are you doing that? Do you realize that the new windows is this and that and it makes your system well not worth working on for me. I just grin at them and say GOOD LUCK with that and move on to the next system that boots up in a few seconds and rarely has issues. Where I used to pay two grand for systems they are now priced well below 300.00 for entry level systems. If one likes a 2 minute boot up and screen lockups and slow response times no AUTOMATED SUPPORT hang on to that old stuff.

#34 ·
It has gotten out of hand and was not my intention.
Having others not agree with you is not "getting out of hand", it is a difference of opinion. Not agreeing with other's opinions is not grounds for silencing anyone else.

But if you really have issue with what other people are saying, then you should click on the unsubscribe button under the "Tread Tools" menu.

#37 · (Edited)
This is the second post in a row that I have looked at with mild bickering. It happens to all of us including myself recently.
One of you guys should make the first move to end this misunderstanding.
This is supposed to fun.
Please don't let it escalate.

#40 · (Edited)
Unfortunately to some this is not a discussion group, it is a question and answer platform, and as such experts emerge that have the answers to all things and will defend their opinions to the end.

Typed on a 2015 MacBook Air that has been running continually since the day it was purchased.

#41 ·
The worst thing in this thread isn't bickering - it's misinformation. There's really no validity to the concerns over Microsoft spying or providing automatic updates.

If you have concerns about exposing Aunt Ethel's phone number on your birthday card spreadsheet, well...that's just baseless and silly. You're opening yourself up to more problems by running outdated software than by letting greedy corporate overlords view your data (and that's just a fact).

#47 ·
OK Guys. I'll add one more thing and than I'm done with the thread.

In the computer environment, viruses grow and mutate much faster than in the real world. By turning on W-10 automatic updates, MS helps to keep your computer free from the latest mutations. Call it anything you want, spying, snooping, invasion of privacy or akin to looking over the wall of the stall in the bathroom, it is still good that your system is updated.

#53 ·
it will continue, until such time as current members learn that people having to defend their position, is why people leave.
woodworking talk has members for whom no thread is complete without their opinion(s).
woodworking talk has members who chide others to read the message/thread before replying, and in their next post ignore their own advice.

Fortunately (or unfortunately depending upon your leaning) people will be people. Some will defend themselves to the death, regardless of fact or fiction. Some will get offended and others will just accept what is happening and continue on.

It is a shame that we all cannot be much more tolerant and less getting our feelings hurt. If people leave because they have to defend their position it is just showing childish emotion. They are somehow taking the discussion personally and they should not. If I have strong feelings about something I would be glad to defend my opinion. It certainly is not going to drive me away.

Let us all act like grown, mature people who can interact with others without getting our feelings hurt.

George

#50 · (Edited)
Valued members bailing ......

Don't you dare @Tool Agnostic
There's no reason to give up.
I've always enjoyed your 12 paragraph posts ...... :wink:
:vs_cool:

#51 ·
Granddad had a saying for things like this: "Opinions are like *ssholes, everybody's got one."

You can either accept that or you can't. Some people just want to be a big fish in a small pond, so they'll move on to another forum where the opinions might matter more. If you're incapable accepting varying opinions, debating without name calling or being a jerk, or God forbid - the notion that you might actually be WRONG - then playing with other kids on the internet is probably not for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.