Will wood screws lose strength after being screwed, and unscrewed? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

View bittiker's Photo Album My Photos
Will wood screws lose strength after being screwed, and unscrewed?

If I were to screw and unscrew a wood screw more than once, would it lose strength over time?

I'm asking because I have a walnut slab dining table that I plan to assemble, and disassemble on a weekly basis. The steel legs are each attached with (4) multi-purpose 2" wood screws. Thanks! - Danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
Yes they would. Why are you taking it apart so much?

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #3 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 03:11 PM

View Goat Locker's Photo Album My Photos
No the screw will not loose strength due to screwing and unscrewing however, I believe you are really asking about the joint and it will get looser over time due to the screw always going in and out. If you are looking at disassembly often I would recommend that you put a Rod into one piece and use a washer and bolt or wing nut on the other side. When you consistently install and remove threaded items into wood the opening tends to open up and become sloppy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goat Locker For This Useful Post:
nbo10 (02-03-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
When I was a kid we used to squirt some yellow glue in every screw hole at assembly. You could do that too. If it's possible, I would convert the screw holes to threaded inserts and and change out the screws.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

The Following User Says Thank You to Al B Thayer For This Useful Post:
Woodwart (02-03-2013)
post #5 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 04:29 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bittiker View Post
If I were to screw and unscrew a wood screw more than once, would it lose strength over time?

I'm asking because I have a walnut slab dining table that I plan to assemble, and disassemble on a weekly basis. The steel legs are each attached with (4) multi-purpose 2" wood screws. Thanks! - Danny
Like everyone has said, yes, the joint will get looser and looser. I figure wood screw joints are only good for a half dozen or so assembly/disassembly operations.
If you are planning on this being a weekly operation, I would make it as toolless as possible. Hanger bolts with wing nuts or even knobs maybe?

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #6 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
wood screws will loose some strength eventually, they will get work hardened, and eventually break. I'd agree.....hanger bolts and nuts would be a better choice.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Senior junior member

View Woodwart's Photo Album My Photos
One other thing that can happen is that the slots, +s, or square recesses will become worn and hard to turn with your screwdriver.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 05:31 PM

View GoIrish's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B Thayer
When I was a kid we used to squirt some yellow glue in every screw hole at assembly. You could do that too. If it's possible, I would convert the screw holes to threaded inserts and and change out the screws.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.
+1 for the inserts.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-04-2013, 04:28 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Locker View Post
No the screw will not loose strength due to screwing and unscrewing however, I believe you are really asking about the joint and it will get looser over time due to the screw always going in and out. If you are looking at disassembly often I would recommend that you put a Rod into one piece and use a washer and bolt or wing nut on the other side. When you consistently install and remove threaded items into wood the opening tends to open up and become sloppy.
This is a good answer.

George

Tags
rescrew, strength, threads, unscrew, wood screws

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode