Will my legs hold up? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

View daryl's Photo Album My Photos
Will my legs hold up?

I picked up a pallet that had 2 perfect 4x4s in it. No knots, straight grain. I started making legs for my work bench. Didn't like them, too short. Well, those 4x4s are scrap now. So I went to Home Depot for more 4x4s. What a bunch of lousey sh**. I would be ashamed to sell a product like that for that amount of money knowing that my costomers can find better in the trash.

By the way, Lowes no longer sells 4x4s at the Burton store. What the...?

Anyway, I had no choice but to buy them. They are full of little knots and the corners are gouged up pretty bad. I will have to plane quite a bit off them. And they have cracks starting in them.

Is there a way to stop the cracking or is this a project that will end up in the trash after a couple months because it looks like junk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 06:09 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Daryl, You could straighten 4x4s and use them for structural, then wrap them with 1X for looks.

Scott

Last edited by mdntrdr; 03-18-2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot
post #3 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Thats a good idea, if I have too. Won't have much of a choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

I bought the 4x4s at HD instead of Lowes because Lowes did not have any. I asked where they were and was told that they do not carry 4x4s at the Burton location.

I just called the main office and complained to them and they called the Burton store while I waited. The store told them that they do not sell the 4x4s. They will however special order them for me. So when I want to build something I have to special order the wood? Anyway, the person on the phone said that a management person would be calling me withing 24 hours. I don't know what they can say or do for me but only a good 4x4 will pacify me.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 07:49 PM

View Ghidrah's Photo Album My Photos
4X4 what Fir, Spruce, PT SYP? I haven't seen any of those species without at least 1 knot. Why not just double up 2X4 it's a work bench right.

The good thing about 2X4 is it's easier to splice in cross braces.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 11:04 PM

View wooddude9's Photo Album My Photos
Personally I would also just laminate them together they will turn out cleaner and won't crack or twist and you could use 4/4 , 6/4, 8/4, 2x4. basically whatever you got laying around maybe. After all its just a workbench and you must have a clamp or 2.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-19-2010, 06:04 AM

View smithingman's Photo Album My Photos
I have found that the big box guys carry nothing but trash for wood. I go to the small lumberyards in my area-local places-they carry good wood. It's about 10% more but they carry wood that's STRAIGHT and has nice tight growth rings. When you check out the lumber at the big box places, the growth rings are huge-looks like very young wood, and it rarely stays straight.
Mark
post #8 of 10 Old 03-19-2010, 10:20 AM

View Ghidrah's Photo Album My Photos
Note, all the lumber yds in my area have piles of pallets sitting somewhere on site, they get left there by the shippers. Most of the pallets are pine, (minimum cost) sometimes there's a couple oak pallets.

In general, (ask 1st) they let customers walk away with them for free, it's cheaper than busting them up and transporting it to the landfill or incinerator. I pick up a couple 3 pine pallets every few yrs for my compose bins, they're great.

17 yrs ago I built this doll crib frame for my youngest daughter out of an oak pallet, I got for free at the Lumb yd. she was 4 then and played with it for many yrs.

One might also consider checking into their local landfill or stump dump, many have mulch areas that also take downed trees to grind into chips for municipal projects.
Our local DPW has their own area where the tree wardens take trees removed for whatever reason. They burn them late in the winter or bury them if the public doesn't cut them up for fire wood or furniture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crib.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	14063  

post #9 of 10 Old 03-19-2010, 04:57 PM

View ash123's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl View Post
Anyway, I had no choice but to buy them.

Hi Daryl,

I'm not really very fussy about wood going into a workbench, but if I was, I guess I'd just laminate some nice legs from some 4/4 red oak or ash? I build furniture quality things with 3 and 4" laminated legs with good results. My workbench (that I built in 1974), has painted cedar 4x4 legs and varnished 2x4 hemlock stretchers.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-19-2010, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

I'm not really too picky about how a bench looks either. But since I am getting reinterested in woodworking after many years of neglect I thought I would try to do a nice job. To me, "not being picky" does not mean that I am not bothered by the piece splitting all over. I just think that when you pay over $7 for a 4x4 it should be a piece of lumber that you can be glad you bought.

By the way, the manager at Lowes did call me back. He confirmed that the Burton store soes not carry 4x4s because they do not have room for proper storage and sales on that item are so low that they end up warping. That seems odd since I have had 4x4s for years that did not warp a fraction of what most of the lumber at HD is warped. I think they have a processing issue.

Anyway, he said that anytime I need a 4x4 they could get one (or however many) from the Flint store if I could not go over there. He also said that his 4x4s are $5 and some odd cents, whereas HDs are Over $7. And I know their quality is a lot better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode