Will Hardboard Wall Panel glue directly to Ridged foam? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tony B
  • 1 Post By 13579
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 6 Old 01-08-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Question Will Hardboard Wall Panel glue directly to Ridged foam?

I知 insulating my Shipping container with ridged foam Insulation and I was going to used 2x4 studs between the Foam Panels, but now I think I知 just going to glue the 4x8 Foam Panels directly to the wall so that I don稚 have so many holes through the wall and it will seal better by butting them up against each other with a bead of glue. The only problem is that I need something to protect the foam from damage when things are moved against it. I was going to fasten Hardboard Panels to the studs, but the studs is probably not going to happen so I値l have to glue them. I'm sure the they will stick, but I'm not sure how long. I will be able to attach the panels to the top plate and nothing on the sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0017.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	370259  

JohnnyB
I知 a die hard DIY guy. Don稚 tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sleeper For This Useful Post:
13579 (01-09-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-08-2019, 12:58 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not into home repair - I'm a furniture guy. Anyway, since foam insulation and hardboard are typical stuff, i would think any construcction adhesive will work Don't take my word for it, read the labels.
Sleeper likes this.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Denison, Tx
post #3 of 6 Old 01-08-2019, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I'm not into home repair - I'm a furniture guy. Anyway, since foam insulation and hardboard are typical stuff, i would think any construcction adhesive will work Don't take my word for it, read the labels.
Thanks I have already bought the correct adhesive for gluing to the metal wall, but I'm concerned that the foil will pull off the foam in time. I remember once having a project where I had to peel off the foil and it peeled off pretty easy, but it was a small area and I peeled it off in strips.

JohnnyB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-09-2019, 10:02 PM

View 13579's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
I知 insulating my Shipping container with ridged foam Insulation and I was going to used 2x4 studs between the Foam Panels, but now I think I知 just going to glue the 4x8 Foam Panels directly to the wall so that I don稚 have so many holes through the wall and it will seal better by butting them up against each other with a bead of glue. The only problem is that I need something to protect the foam from damage when things are moved against it. I was going to fasten Hardboard Panels to the studs, but the studs is probably not going to happen so I値l have to glue them. I'm sure the they will stick, but I'm not sure how long. I will be able to attach the panels to the top plate and nothing on the sides.
Yes hard board should be fine, as you likely would glue with contact adheasive , make sure glue is applied to the aluminum side, not the bare foam as the adheasive would eat the foam

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
Sleeper likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-10-2019, 10:03 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Yes and no, construction adhesive will bond hardboard to foam board however the foam board isn't strong enough to hold it. It will soon come off taking some of the foam board with it. There would need to be at least some fasteners to hold the hardboard.
Sleeper likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-10-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

I started putting up the foam panels along the wall and realized that there may be other problems as well. So I知 back to putting full sheets of foam vertically between studs fastened flat up against the wall, but that changes my spacing for fastening to 49 セ centers and I don稚 really want to cut 3 ス off 18 panels.
But It will only mean 1 or possibly 2 extra panels and I値l have at least 54 holes through the sides for bolts, but then I could put the hardboard horizontally with each screwed to the studs in 3 places and maybe a single bead of adhesive down the middle of the foam to put the support at 16 OC. I might even run a baseboard along the bottom and a horizontal chair rail in the middle along the entire length for added support.
I need to figure out an assembly line method or jig so I can cut the panels quickly because I have to do everything outside and don稚 have that much time during the day light. There has been heavy fog saturated with water that completely soaks everything in the mornings and then it gets dark so early. I should wait till summer but I need to get this done now.

JohnnyB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode