Wife doesnt understand - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 27Likes

post #1 of 27 Old 04-15-2017, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Maker

View TTOKC's Photo Album My Photos
Wife doesnt understand

My wife isn't showing the appropriate amount of excitement for my new toy so thought I would log on here and share my news with people that would better understand why I am so excited.

Back in the fall when I was looking to upgrade my table saw from the Bosch 4100 I set up an alert in my craigslist account so that I get an email when there is something with a keyword posted. This has worked out really great for me since I have started building up my tool collection. Got my Domino for less than half what it would be new, same for my bosch glide saw. Anyway, back in September I set up an alert for "Sawstop". There have been 2 hits, one priced at a $100 off the new price and one had been backed into with a forklift and needed repair.

Last night about 7:30 I got an email alert that led to an ad that said only "$2500 - Selling once used saw stop table saw with all the bells and whistles. Impulse buy used once then went into storage. Price is negotiable if you're willing to pick it up". I fired off a text that said "might be interested in your saw, what model, size, etc..."

He called me and told me that it had been his dads saw and he bought it on a whim, used it to cut flooring for the attic and then it ended up in his storage unit and that he is moving out of town and doesn't want to move it. He doesn't know much about it other than it is a 5HP and needs a 220 outlet. He said he would be back in town Saturday morning to get a load of stuff from storage to move to the new house and that I could meet him to see it.

His storage unit is about 30 mins from my house and I was going to have to go to my storage and get my trailer to go down there so I said "If I meet you in the morning will you take $2000 for it." He countered with $2200 and we agreed.

This morning I get down there and it is a 52' industrial 5HP with all the factory stuff (manual, inserts, miter gauge, etc), plus he has it on the mobile base, a zero clearance insert plate, a dado insert plate, an extra break cartridge, a dado break cartridge and a Freud Dial-A-Width Dado still with the factory seal on the box.

I had played with the sawstop build your saw feature on their site last night so I know this is $5000+ worth of saw. I told him I would take it with 2 stipulations. One, we have to get all 700 lbs of saw on my trailer with just the 2 of us. And two, I rounded up every last bit of cash I had in the house and it was an even $1000, I hit the ATM on the way and our bank has a $500 max withdrawl per day and I took the max from checking and savings. So I have exactly $2000, and I can throw in a drink holder full of loose change from my truck.

He hemmed and hawed for a bit and said is that "is really all you've got", I pulled out my wallet and gave him all the cash. He counted it up and still wasn't sure he wanted to let it go for that. Having my wallet in my hand I noticed some gift cards so I said "here is Starbucks card that should have 20-30 dollars on it. And a $50 Cabela's card that has never been used". He shook my hand and we had a deal.

Loaded it on the trailer with a fair amount of effort and I brought it home and scrubbed the top with some rust remover and applied a good coat of wax and then put it in my storage unit. I have to get rid of my current saw to have space for it and get a 220 outlet installed in my garage.

My wife just says "I'm happy for you honey". Hopefully I can at least get an "attaboy" from you guys.

If your local to OKC my saw is posted on craiglist https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/tls/6089796351.html

RogerC likes this.

Last edited by TTOKC; 04-15-2017 at 07:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-15-2017, 08:30 PM

View substratum's Photo Album My Photos
That is an awesome deal!!! Congratulations!

If you've got a slot in the box, installing a 220 circuit is pretty straightforward. I've done a couple in my workshop, over the years.
TTOKC likes this.
post #3 of 27 Old 04-15-2017, 08:39 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Beautiful saw at a great price. You will love that Saw.
TTOKC likes this.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 04-15-2017, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by substratum View Post

If you've got a slot in the box, installing a 220 circuit is pretty straightforward. I've done a couple in my workshop, over the years.

I'm cool changing a ceiling fan or light switch but still have rather healthy respect (translation: paralyzing fear) of electricity. And that seems like one of those things that if done wrong can make bad things happen. A local electrician charged me $100 a pop to run some dedicated outlets in the garage so I would quite tripping breakers with more than one tool turned on at a time so I will probably give them a call.

Cant wait to get it fired up.
substratum likes this.
post #5 of 27 Old 04-15-2017, 09:38 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Awesome deal and great story! Can't wait to see what you build with it.

David
TTOKC likes this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #6 of 27 Old 04-15-2017, 10:24 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like a great deal. I think you should send him a check for another $500 and not let him refuse it!
TTOKC likes this.
post #7 of 27 Old 04-15-2017, 11:49 PM

View Mike in the woods's Photo Album My Photos
I love my Sawstop worksite saw, but make sure your wood is dry.... I was cutting some lumber that was wet inside and it activated the blade stop.. That is about a $90.00 mess up....You lucky devil to get that good of a deal..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wood is designed to be made into what ever your mind can think of.... Never stop working towards perfection...
post #8 of 27 Old 04-16-2017, 08:10 AM

View Roybrew's Photo Album My Photos
Attaboy @TTOKC! Great find and good deal. I like the cabinet you built around it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #9 of 27 Old 04-16-2017, 10:53 AM
Got Sawdust?

View Cowpokey's Photo Album My Photos
I just hope when I'm gone my wife doesn't sell my guns, fishing gear or tools for what I told her I paid for them.

Congrats on the saw!

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra
post #10 of 27 Old 04-16-2017, 11:24 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
You made a hell of a good deal on it, I am envious

That is another thing I love about my wife, she never says anything about the tools I buy, she even encourages it sometimes
post #11 of 27 Old 04-16-2017, 12:21 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTOKC View Post
My wife isn't showing the appropriate amount of excitement for my new toy so thought I would log on here and share my news with people that would better understand why I am so excited.

Back in the fall when I was looking to upgrade my table saw from the Bosch 4100 I set up an alert in my craigslist account so that I get an email when there is something with a keyword posted. This has worked out really great for me since I have started building up my tool collection. Got my Domino for less than half what it would be new, same for my bosch glide saw. Anyway, back in September I set up an alert for "Sawstop". There have been 2 hits, one priced at a $100 off the new price and one had been backed into with a forklift and needed repair.

Last night about 7:30 I got an email alert that led to an ad that said only "$2500 - Selling once used saw stop table saw with all the bells and whistles. Impulse buy used once then went into storage. Price is negotiable if you're willing to pick it up". I fired off a text that said "might be interested in your saw, what model, size, etc..."

He called me and told me that it had been his dads saw and he bought it on a whim, used it to cut flooring for the attic and then it ended up in his storage unit and that he is moving out of town and doesn't want to move it. He doesn't know much about it other than it is a 5HP and needs a 220 outlet. He said he would be back in town Saturday morning to get a load of stuff from storage to move to the new house and that I could meet him to see it.

His storage unit is about 30 mins from my house and I was going to have to go to my storage and get my trailer to go down there so I said "If I meet you in the morning will you take $2000 for it." He countered with $2200 and we agreed.

This morning I get down there and it is a 52' industrial 5HP with all the factory stuff (manual, inserts, miter gauge, etc), plus he has it on the mobile base, a zero clearance insert plate, a dado insert plate, an extra break cartridge, a dado break cartridge and a Freud Dial-A-Width Dado still with the factory seal on the box.

I had played with the sawstop build your saw feature on their site last night so I know this is $5000+ worth of saw. I told him I would take it with 2 stipulations. One, we have to get all 700 lbs of saw on my trailer with just the 2 of us. And two, I rounded up every last bit of cash I had in the house and it was an even $1000, I hit the ATM on the way and our bank has a $500 max withdrawl per day and I took the max from checking and savings. So I have exactly $2000, and I can throw in a drink holder full of loose change from my truck.

He hemmed and hawed for a bit and said is that "is really all you've got", I pulled out my wallet and gave him all the cash. He counted it up and still wasn't sure he wanted to let it go for that. Having my wallet in my hand I noticed some gift cards so I said "here is Starbucks card that should have 20-30 dollars on it. And a $50 Cabela's card that has never been used". He shook my hand and we had a deal.

Loaded it on the trailer with a fair amount of effort and I brought it home and scrubbed the top with some rust remover and applied a good coat of wax and then put it in my storage unit. I have to get rid of my current saw to have space for it and get a 220 outlet installed in my garage.

My wife just says "I'm happy for you honey". Hopefully I can at least get an "attaboy" from you guys.

If your local to OKC my saw is posted on craiglist https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/tls/6089796351.html

How is this beneficial to her?
post #12 of 27 Old 04-16-2017, 01:35 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelwork View Post
Happy wife, happy life works both ways LOL
woodnthings likes this.
post #13 of 27 Old 04-16-2017, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelwork View Post

It means I have to keep my mouth shut the next time she wants a $$$$ purse. We have more invested in purses and shoes than tools.
Catpower likes this.
post #14 of 27 Old 04-16-2017, 08:22 PM

View Heather Starr Masten's Photo Album My Photos
Nice! It's ok, I went "Ooooo" and then when my husband asked what I was looking at I tried explaining it. He doesn't get it either. He's a computer guy. We argue about what a router table is.
post #15 of 27 Old 04-16-2017, 08:33 PM

View Bob in St. Louis's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Starr Masten View Post
We argue about what a router table is.
That's funny right there!!!!

Nice table saw "station" though, I've got one and have been looking how to segment the cubby holes and router station.
You've got a couple ideas that I'd like to rip off. haha...

Ultimately, men and woman are different. The most important thing is that we don't necessarily "need to know" every detail, just that certain things need to happen in a persons life. Some people might want shoes, some might want a tool. It's all good.
Suffice it to say, "we get it", and support you!. Rock on brother!
TTOKC likes this.
post #16 of 27 Old 04-16-2017, 08:38 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
Build stuff for her. Over-the-top fancy shelving for a closet or the powder room. Hanging wine rack.
She's got shoes, huh? Shoe rack which cannot hold more than 90% of her "inventory."
The saw in the bench has to be the one you're selling, right?
What's on the right, router table?

My partner and I don't argue about such things at all. She does what she wants in the violin shop and they send me the bills.
She never says hardly anything about shotguns and wood carving tools.
"Oh. You mean we are talking about a shotgun that I've never seen?" I had a lot of them in that day and time.
So I gave her some of them. She still wants to shoot mine. Huh?

The more women there are in woodworking, the better I like it.
I see that they have a different sense of design.

I have a lady friend, a retired, big-shot pipeline welder. She's quite wealthy now.
She's an "art-welder" now = scrap steel bugs and 300lb junk iron dragons and owls and such.
She dresses up steampunk and goes to the Sci-fi conventions and sells her stuff by the truckload.
Catpower and TTOKC like this.
post #17 of 27 Old 04-16-2017, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Starr Masten View Post
Nice! It's ok, I went "Ooooo" and then when my husband asked what I was looking at I tried explaining it. He doesn't get it either. He's a computer guy. We argue about what a router table is.

HaHa, people without some sawdust on all their stuff just don't understand.

I walked into the room during easter dinner as my cousin was saying "I need a new router mine is too slow" To which I replied, "there was a nice bosch router on craigslist with both the fixed and plunge base". He said "I don't know WTF your talking about, I need a new network router"
MT Stringer and Catpower like this.

Last edited by TTOKC; 04-16-2017 at 10:54 PM.
post #18 of 27 Old 04-16-2017, 10:38 PM

View Bob in St. Louis's Photo Album My Photos
"Network"!?!??!?
Oh yea... That "thing" that magically makes the internet work?
TTOKC likes this.
post #19 of 27 Old 04-16-2017, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Maker

[QUOTE=Bob in St. Louis;1637994]

Nice table saw "station" though, I've got one and have been looking how to segment the cubby holes and router station.
You've got a couple ideas that I'd like to rip off. haha...

QUOTE]

Thanks Bob, it is (was) actually still a work in progress as I still need to finish the drawers and stuff. You welcome to use any of the ideas, I actually got my inspiration from Drew at the Rockin H Woodshop on YouTube.

Here is a tour of my cabinet.

Last edited by TTOKC; 04-16-2017 at 10:55 PM.
post #20 of 27 Old 04-16-2017, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson Valley View Post
The saw in the bench has to be the one you're selling, right?
What's on the right, router table?

Yes and Yes, selling the cabinet I built is a little painful as I planned and calculated for weeks before I finally started building. I am not selling the router and lift but have kreg router plate and old craftsman router that I am throwing is as part of the deal. Not willing to give up the 3.5 HP router and woodpecker lift.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode