Wierd Question! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By John Smith_inFL
  • 2 Post By Mikhail2400

post #1 of 10 Old 10-06-2018, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

View hardwareheathens's Photo Album My Photos
Wierd Question!

Hey everyone, I am fairly new to wood working, ive had some experience, but I want to get into it more as it has always fascinated me. I am currently venturing into a project, to build a beautiful custom PC Case out of wood.
I have thought about the types of wood, I know we will be using hard wood, but I am still concerned about moisture and warping. Which led me to design custom moisture packet holders, now the main question I have is the validity to this idea, and the practicality of reinforcing parts of the case with steel bars, along the lines of using a press to drill though the sides, in the exact size of the rods, coat them in glue and force them in. Would this help in any way? Anyway, thank you!

Colin Cappetto
Owner and Operator of Hardware Heathens LLC
hardwareheathens.com
Instagram | Hardwareheathens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-06-2018, 06:54 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
What is the moisture source?
post #3 of 10 Old 10-06-2018, 07:42 AM
Central Florida

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
when you say "PC" case, are you talking about a Personal Computer
on a desk or one of those giant floor models in an office setting.
do you have a drawing or sketch available ?
properly built with ventilation, there should be NO moisture at all to be concerned with.
glue does not stick to steel - so you really need to explain your building process
with either photos of something similar or drawings of what you want to do.
green, uncured wood would be the only source of moisture, IMHO.
the heat generated by a computer will alleviate any chance of moisture
problems. moreover, constant heat on some woods will cause warpage
because the wood becomes too dry too quick. so much thought has to be
into the ventilation of the case - not desiccant packs.
my simple thought process is to build your computer in the standard metal
box - then build the wood case around that - so the whole computer can be
removed for maintenance, upgrades, etc.

side note: with your remarkable ability to build computers from scratch
and zero knowledge of wood . . . and me with zero knowledge of computers
and the remarkable ability to build things out of wood puts us on an equal plane.
(that is meant to be humorous and a compliment to you).

Catpower and JamesTinKS like this.

-- Failure is proof that you at least tried ~ now, go do it again, and again, until you get it right --

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 10-06-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-06-2018, 08:01 AM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareheathens View Post
Hey everyone, I am fairly new to wood working, ive had some experience, but I want to get into it more as it has always fascinated me. I am currently venturing into a project, to build a beautiful custom PC Case out of wood.
I have thought about the types of wood, I know we will be using hard wood, but I am still concerned about moisture and warping. Which led me to design custom moisture packet holders, now the main question I have is the validity to this idea, and the practicality of reinforcing parts of the case with steel bars, along the lines of using a press to drill though the sides, in the exact size of the rods, coat them in glue and force them in. Would this help in any way? Anyway, thank you!

I think moisture packets inside the case would defeat the purpose, as wood movement is a result of moisture imbalance. The inside of the case would be dry, and the outside subject to ambient moisture. As the outside moisture content increases, warpage is prone.

As to steel bars, any attempt to restrict the normal expansion/contraction of wood will lead to warping and cracking. Best bet is avoiding any design where movement across the wood is restricted by a piece being glued cross grain to another wider piece, and using a finish such as polyurethane for moisture protection.

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-06-2018, 02:55 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducbsa View Post
What is the moisture source?

And what is a PC case???

George
post #6 of 10 Old 10-06-2018, 05:30 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith_inFL View Post
when you say "PC" case, are you talking about a Personal Computer
on a desk or one of those giant floor models in an office setting.
do you have a drawing or sketch available ?
properly built with ventilation, there should be NO moisture at all to be concerned with.
glue does not stick to steel - so you really need to explain your building process
with either photos of something similar or drawings of what you want to do.
green, uncured wood would be the only source of moisture, IMHO.
the heat generated by a computer will alleviate any chance of moisture
problems. moreover, constant heat on some woods will cause warpage
because the wood becomes too dry too quick. so much thought has to be
into the ventilation of the case - not desiccant packs.
my simple thought process is to build your computer in the standard metal
box - then build the wood case around that - so the whole computer can be
removed for maintenance, upgrades, etc.

side note: with your remarkable ability to build computers from scratch
and zero knowledge of wood . . . and me with zero knowledge of computers
and the remarkable ability to build things out of wood puts us on an equal plane.
(that is meant to be humorous and a compliment to you).

Building a PC is like building an AR platform gun, there is no real building to it just installing parts, as a matter of fact this computer I am using today was assembled by me. Not that I am trying to belittle ones ability, it is a pretty straight forward task

There is no app for experience
post #7 of 10 Old 10-06-2018, 05:42 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
My son, the computer geek ...

I watched my son assemble a new enclosure for his gaming computer. The new case weighs 40 lbs, made of glass and steel with 5 cooling fans .. at present time... plans to add more. It's water cooled even with all those fans, there's more to come as he adds more powerful boards.

Ok, that's an extreme I suppose, but HEAT is the enemy of electronics. If you want to make a wood enclosure, be aware of the cooling aspects. As long as the heat is expelled, the wood won't expand or contract very much. I'd say it's a bit risky, but nothing will blow up, just fail to operate.......

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 10 Old 10-06-2018, 06:34 PM

View TwoRails's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareheathens View Post
... I am currently venturing into a project, to build a beautiful custom PC Case out of wood...
See if this has any pointers in it you can use.

It's a John Heisz video:

post #9 of 10 Old 10-06-2018, 07:36 PM

View Mikhail2400's Photo Album My Photos
John mentioned using a standard PC case and then using wood to contain it. You could also start with a standard case, replace the covers, face and all with wood. Just keeping the basic frame for the strength you need in certain areas. Kind of a hybrid you know. Heck my hips made out of titanium but you cant tell from the outside, lol.
woodnthings and JamesTinKS like this.

Mike
Everything i build comes with a redneck warranty. If it breaks you get to keep both pieces.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-06-2018, 10:56 PM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Just finished my gaming PC a little bit ago and was going to build a wooden case for it but opted not to as nice cases aren't that expensive. If you're going to do it i'd use plywood. Don't have to worry about it moving a whole bunch, it's pretty easy to build a box from and assuming you're going to try to sell them it's certainty cheaper than solid wood. Make sure you've got plenty of ventilation in it. Nothing more annoying than a pc overheating and crashing.

-T

"Dreams are stronger than poison and seize more firmly than disease, once captured one can not escape. It's a real curse, but for adventurers who are dedicated to it, body and soul, people without dreams are more frightening than death" (Made in Abyss). The Twenty Seventeen anime of the year, it definitely deserves that award. It's a show you don't expect to throw you off as much as it does. It may be Moe but it's certainly not lighthearted, just the opposite.

Tags
newbie, question

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode