Wide belt sander specifications? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 06-06-2015, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

View Tom_in_PA's Photo Album My Photos
Wide belt sander specifications?

I am looking at getting a small wide belt sander to clean up thin stock after resawing. I am looking at the 12" Grizzly G0459 model. The specifications on this (and most others I have looked at) say the minimum thickness is 1/8". I need to clean up boards that are 1/16". Will this model still work or any other machines you have used to accomplish this? What would happen if I sanded boards that thin? I know a thickness planer would never work but I am thinking very light passes in these sanders would be ok still.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-B...Series-/G0459P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-06-2015, 10:42 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
you are confusing two different sanders

I have the Polar Bear Baby Grizzly drum sander you linked. It is not a wide belt sander.

Now that we have that cleared up... will it work for sanding thinner material down to 1/16" ...I donno?

Luthiers use drum sanders for thin material and I know one who does personally. He made his own and here's one that is similar:

http://www.boydguitarworks.com/Thickness.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TekhIAwHB3M

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-06-2015 at 10:48 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-07-2015, 02:28 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Being that a sander is much less aggressive than say, a planer, there should be less risk of a thinner workpiece being sucked into the head. That said, I'd be willing to wager that with an auxillary bed of sorts you shouldn't have any issues going thinner that 1/8. My guess is that the 1/8 thickness limit is because that's as low as the drum/ high as the table can move without bumping into the frame

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
OnealWoodworking (08-23-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-07-2015, 11:52 AM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
My jet sander will go all they down to the bed, but it sat unused for a few years and has a crease in the conveyer belt. If you keep the belt held down it works fine, but if you let it run with nothing in it it hits the high spot in the belt.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-07-2015, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the clarification woodnthings.

I did a little more research and was able to find this same question asked elsewhere. There were a number of solutions provided but the best sounds like adhering a piece of sandpaper on a board and using it as a sled. The sandpaper adds enough friction to hold the thin stock while allowing the "drum sander" to remove milling marks. All have said though be sure you take light passes!
post #6 of 6 Old 08-22-2015, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Well I finally got this sander today as I found it on craigslist. The sander is practically brand new as it had less than an hour of use on it. Sadly the family is selling off their father's equipment as he passed away. This was the last piece of equipment he bought before getting sick. They were glad to see it go to someone who wanted it and would use it. They sold it to me for $325 and even included 2 full rolls of sandpaper, spare roller chain, spare PC controller board, and a homemade stand on casters!

For those interested I ran a test and was able to take a piece of scrap 2" wide ash from 3/32" to 1/16" (slightly under actually as the calipers read .060) with no problems. Before trying it I raised the bed while the machine was turned off and there appeared to be space still between the bed and the drum when set at 1/16". When running the test I slowly raised the bed only a 1/4 turn at a time to be sure not to damage the belt. Each pass was successful and there was still space between the drum and belt when finished.

Last edited by Tom_in_PA; 08-22-2015 at 11:30 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode