Why won't my saw start? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 02-13-2016, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
The Man

View Masterofnone's Photo Album My Photos
Why won't my saw start?

I have a Jet Hybrid saw, specifically the JPS 10TS. I bought it new two years ago.

I was cutting box joints with an 8" dado set (3/8"). I shut off the saw, reset my jig, and hit the on button. The motor started to spin then stopped. So I hit the off button, hit the on button, and the saw ran just fine. Of course I thought, "that can't be good."

Well, soon thereafter, it did it again. This time however, it wouldn't stay running. After a few toggles of the switch, and now its like there is no power getting to the motor. There is a reset button on the motor but pushing it does nothing. I can't find, what I would consider to be, a fuse anywhere on or in the motor or switch. I can't find any loose connections.

I either have a dead switch or a dead motor... can anyone help?

I should probably add the motor doesn't feel hot and all of the air vents were clear and clean. I've never had any electrical issues with the saw before. I also checked the outlet... it's working properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-13-2016, 02:39 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Unplug the saw and open the switch box, they can get filled with sawdust. After that, see if the motor has a reset button, small red button that almost sits flush somewhere near where the wires attach to the motor. Look under the table top and make sure no debris is preventing the arbor/blades from moving. I don't know that saw but many motorized saws have a small drive belt that should be checked. Dadoes could have overheated a saw that isn't designed for that use, possible to fry the motor if you were having any hesitation or struggles making cuts.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-13-2016, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Well now that none of my garage outlets are working I'm going to assume my problem is much deeper than I originally thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-13-2016, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Oops! Stuck the test light in the wrong place... tripped my GFI.... I'm going to stop investigating now...
post #5 of 16 Old 02-13-2016, 03:55 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Could it be that the saw is wired for running on a 220 line, and you are using a 110 line? Consider asking a licensed electrician to do a COMPLETE check out of your garage wiring, which may require an up date. Be safe.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-13-2016, 05:04 PM

View MEP1's Photo Album My Photos
If the motor was wired wrong it would have tripped its internal reset in one or two seconds. It can't run fine for a while on 110 wired for 220.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-13-2016, 05:15 PM

View mikeswoods's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not familiar with that saw---however, it sounds like a magnetic switch failure--

Have you pulled the switch and checked to see if power is going in and out on the motor side?
post #8 of 16 Old 02-13-2016, 05:15 PM

View OzoneBeastMode's Photo Album My Photos
Have you checked the start capacitor on the motor? I only know this because I work with motors at my job and once in a blue moon on some of the small 1-5 horsepower motors on our systems the start capacitors will blow out. They are usually pretty cheap to replace, round 5 bucks.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-13-2016, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
The Man

It's a 110/220. I run it off 110, for which it was wired for from the factory. I'm working on acquiring a test gauge. I'm going to start at the switch and move from there
post #10 of 16 Old 02-13-2016, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzoneBeastMode View Post
Have you checked the start capacitor on the motor? I only know this because I work with motors at my job and once in a blue moon on some of the small 1-5 horsepower motors on our systems the start capacitors will blow out. They are usually pretty cheap to replace, round 5 bucks.
I think I've located something like a capacitor. It is a black cylinder off the back of the motor. Two red wires run into it...

Let me run home and try to upload pictures
post #11 of 16 Old 02-13-2016, 06:24 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
There's a quick and dirty way to see whats at fault, and you don't need anything that isn't already on the saw. Just bypass the switch and wire the power cord straight to the motor. If the motor runs, the switch is bad, if it doesn't run the motors at fault.

Please note, this is a diagnostic test, not a solution. Please don't use your saw without a switch

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #12 of 16 Old 02-13-2016, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Borrowed a tester from work. I have 120 going into the switch, and nothing coming out! Must be the switch
post #13 of 16 Old 02-13-2016, 07:40 PM

View Masterjer's Photo Album My Photos
Glad you were able to solve it so quickly. I recently had the same issue with the same saw. I called Jet customer service and their technician told me it may be the centrifugal switch and to give the motor a few good whacks with a mallet to dislodge any dust that at have accumulated.

When that didn't work, he sent me a new start capacitor and switch. My start capacitor looked fine and after swapping it and it didn't work, Jet sent me a new motor. Works great now.

The difference with mine is that I had voltage coming out of the switch and going into the motor, but the motor acted like there was no power.
post #14 of 16 Old 02-13-2016, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterjer View Post
Glad you were able to solve it so quickly. I recently had the same issue with the same saw. I called Jet customer service and their technician told me it may be the centrifugal switch and to give the motor a few good whacks with a mallet to dislodge any dust that at have accumulated.

When that didn't work, he sent me a new start capacitor and switch. My start capacitor looked fine and after swapping it and it didn't work, Jet sent me a new motor. Works great now.

The difference with mine is that I had voltage coming out of the switch and going into the motor, but the motor acted like there was no power.
Do you know how much better that makes me feel? Much! It's nice to know that you too experienced problems. I love Jet tools but I don't know many people that have them and I was worried I might have a huge bag of worms.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-16-2016, 01:31 PM

View Masterjer's Photo Album My Photos
If you're under warranty it's worth it to give them a call. There will be a date stamped on the motor sticker showing you when it was made.
post #16 of 16 Old 02-17-2016, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterjer View Post
If you're under warranty it's worth it to give them a call. There will be a date stamped on the motor sticker showing you when it was made.
The warranty is expired

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode