Why this place is great - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 21 Old 05-06-2013, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
(clever wood pun here)

View Phaedrus's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up Why this place is great

In lieu of recent threads that have been counter-productive for our community and morale, I've decided to start this thread. This will hopefully be a place to look back (and link back) at some previous threads that remind us of the sense of brotherhood that exists in our community when we are at our best.

Below are links to a couple of my favorites:

Dave Paine restored this mystery-make No 5 and sent it to me! It was my third hand plane and I still love using it:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f11/l...t-plane-43433/

More recently, DaveTTC rallied a number of people to help get Tommie some proper turning tools to use with his new lathe:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f15/friends-50859/
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f6/th...-robert-51253/

I love this thread, though I have lots more reading to do since I got behind on it. I love hearing the reasons people have for hand tooling:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f11/w...d-tools-42981/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phaedrus For This Useful Post:
Dave Paine (05-07-2013), mike1950 (05-07-2013), Tommie Hockett (05-07-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-06-2013, 10:14 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
A good idea, Ben. I hope no one has lost heart over the recent events. I've have been a member here for a while now - not near as long as many others - and from experience I can say the forum has peaks and ebbs. There are good times and bad, that's the case with life in general, not just the forum.

It comes up often that we are a great well balanced and self-moderated group here. You can see it when you realize how little visible involvement the mods take in good times. Then bad times come and the mods look like the principle with a paddle.

Ever so often things get out of hand, people get offended, people leave, new ones come - repeat. I got a PM a few weeks back from a long time member saying he was likely on his way out due to one trouble maker. I've left a few times and I've seen quite a few valuable contributing members leave over random Joe Blow "experts" causing trouble. That's just how it goes. It's sad but what can you do about it? Realize why we are here and swallow a bit of that awful tasting pride, I suppose.

As for some of my favorite threads? It's tough to not think of the past swap threads, those have been a lot of fun even for those not swapping! Those threads were filled with great guys truly enjoying what the community is!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to firemedic For This Useful Post:
hays0369 (05-07-2013), johnnie52 (05-07-2013), mike1950 (05-07-2013), Tommie Hockett (05-07-2013), trc65 (05-07-2013)
post #3 of 21 Old 05-06-2013, 10:39 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Some of my favorite threads are the build threads. I love seeing people open up their shops and themselves and put it all out there for everyone to see. I like seeing the different ways people do things. As the organizer if the first mallet swap I was like a proud parent seeing part deux come up. I love the willingness of most on here to share their knowledge and at times even more.

I've checked out other forums, for both regular woodworking and turning specific. This is by far the best, most comprehensive, easy to use and most supportive of all I've tried.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 05-06-2013, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
(clever wood pun here)

View Phaedrus's Photo Album My Photos
I somehow didn't even think of the build and swap threads--but by cow there have been some outstanding builds documented here!

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Woodworking Talk
post #5 of 21 Old 05-07-2013, 06:01 AM

View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
This place is great because there are so many guys here with an immense amount of talent, experience, and know how. And they share it all willingly. I've grown as a woodworker over the last year just by being a member and reading build threads and such.
Some members have even taken the time to PM me to explain complicated stuff to me. Great people here, and that shouldn't be overshadowed by a couple bad eggs.
The Following User Says Thank You to BZawat For This Useful Post:
hays0369 (05-07-2013)
post #6 of 21 Old 05-07-2013, 08:42 AM

View mike1950's Photo Album My Photos
The swap threads are great but the build threads here are the best. I am not great at remembering names but Kenbo and lola ranch come to mind- there is some serious talent opening up for us to watch.
I do not even know what incident started this thread but there will always be jerks- when I get offended I just don't comment in that thread anymore. If they do not get center stage- the jerks usually disappear.......
post #7 of 21 Old 05-07-2013, 08:51 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Good idea for this thread Ben.

Another vote for the swap threads. They have been popular for good reason. People sharing what they have created with others. Always interesting to see the creativity. Happy to say that so far they have shown the best side of the forum, the members and increasing the sense of community,

The picture threads where people show the item(s) received are best. So many of the readers get hooked and cannot wait for the next series of posts with pictures.

As FireMedic stated, the forum can mirror real life, and real family's. We get along well most of the time, but then something happens to trigger emotions. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good.

The moderators do a great job in keeping out the spam and spammers.

I agree that the forum members are normally good at self moderating. Other forums have some very heavy handed moderators.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Paine For This Useful Post:
hays0369 (05-07-2013)
post #8 of 21 Old 05-07-2013, 08:59 AM

View guglipm63's Photo Album My Photos
I've only been here 2 1/2 months and enjoy reading all of it. there's always a good tip out there. I especially enjoy the pictures people share, it really "puts it together" so to say.
post #9 of 21 Old 05-07-2013, 09:05 AM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
This is a good topic and worth the effort - thanks! Mike got it right... the jerks will go away if ignored. As for this particular forum; I belong to a few and this is my favorite because of the folks hanging here. All the above mentioned posters (Dave Paine, Dave TTC, Firemedic, Kenbo etc.) are all good and talented posters I've had the pleasure of bumping into. I have even taken fun jabs at them and gotten it back. I use a browser that has a "Most Visited" list and Woodworking Talk is on top of that list!

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
post #10 of 21 Old 05-07-2013, 09:19 AM

View hays0369's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
Good idea for this thread Ben.

Another vote for the swap threads. They have been popular for good reason. People sharing what they have created with others. Always interesting to see the creativity. Happy to say that so far they have shown the best side of the forum, the members and increasing the sense of community,

The picture threads where people show the item(s) received are best. So many of the readers get hooked and cannot wait for the next series of posts with pictures.

As FireMedic stated, the forum can mirror real life, and real family's. We get along well most of the time, but then something happens to trigger emotions. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good.

The moderators do a great job in keeping out the spam and spammers.

I agree that the forum members are normally good at self moderating. Other forums have some very heavy handed moderators.
This place is great because there are so many guys here with an immense amount of talent, experience, and know how. And they share it all willingly. I've grown as a woodworker over the last year just by being a member and reading build threads and such.
Some members have even taken the time to PM me to explain complicated stuff to me. Great people here, and that shouldn't be overshadowed by a couple bad eggs.

Here is my .02 I am very new to the forum and to wood working. I have learned a great deal from this site already. When I retired from the Marines, I decided to learn a new lifeling hobby. I have always enjoyed wood working but never had the time or the "shop". Plus moving around the country every 3-4 years does not bode well with quality tools. I had a very good friend that was helping me along the way, he was a true craftsman however, he recently passed away. While he did leave me his entire shop of tools he took his skill and knowledge with him. I have posted many "rookie" questions and most have been answered with a true desire to further the craft. I have also had members PM me to ensure that I got the point they were trying to make. I don't log on as much as I should I guess, but when I do I really enjoy seeing the quality of builds but more importantly the effort some make to provide a detailed explanation of the entire process. This helps young rookies like me to gain knowledge and further my own skills. Maybe some day I will be as good as Brett, or achieve Hall of Famer status like Kenbo, or have the patience that Chain Carver Steve has or learn to do it with little or no power like FireMedic, but for now I will keep reading threads and learning and if it gets too heated, I think it will work it's way out in the end. Thanks to everyone who moderates, and self moderates.

Hays

Novice with an attitude

Last edited by hays0369; 05-07-2013 at 09:22 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to hays0369 For This Useful Post:
Tommie Hockett (05-07-2013)
post #11 of 21 Old 05-07-2013, 09:41 AM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
This site, and the few others I frequent, have two things going for them:

1) Moderators who are willing and able to step in when necessary, and
2) Posters who try to keep the moderators from having to step in.

We've got a great community here. Everyone is willing to share, and eager to help others learn. That's something that can't be replaced.
The Following User Says Thank You to amckenzie4 For This Useful Post:
hays0369 (05-07-2013)
post #12 of 21 Old 05-07-2013, 09:57 AM

View Oakwerks's Photo Album My Photos
This is the first forum I've ever joined.... Since I have no friends that are into woodworking, this is a great
great place to bounce ideas, and get advice on tools and techniques....
I started when I decided to buy a scrollsaw.... The forum helped me decide what to buy, and how to
get the most out of it.... I had never used one, or even seen one used.....
post #13 of 21 Old 05-07-2013, 10:14 AM

View mengtian's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
In lieu of recent threads that have been counter-productive for our community and morale
My morale has been fine Posts on an internet forum really could never do anything to raise or lower my morale...and I hope someday it never will!

I find it amusing when folks go off on a tangent and start doing personal attacks. Just can't help to smile when it happens. But heck, if this can happen on a woodworking forum, there must be some down and out fist fights going on in the gardening and knitting forums!
Thos old ladies can get violent!
[

Last edited by mengtian; 05-07-2013 at 10:20 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mengtian For This Useful Post:
BZawat (05-07-2013), hays0369 (05-07-2013)
post #14 of 21 Old 05-07-2013, 10:43 AM

View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mengtian
My morale has been fine Posts on an internet forum really could never do anything to raise or lower my morale...and I hope someday it never will!

I find it amusing when folks go off on a tangent and start doing personal attacks. Just can't help to smile when it happens. But heck, if this can happen on a woodworking forum, there must be some down and out fist fights going on in the gardening and knitting forums!
Thos old ladies can get violent!
[
Haha yeah you really gotta watch out for the ones with the crochet needles. Dangerous!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to BZawat For This Useful Post:
hays0369 (05-07-2013)
post #15 of 21 Old 05-07-2013, 02:01 PM

View Tommie Hockett's Photo Album My Photos
I also have no idea what happened but I really like this forum even before Dave ttc and Robert helped me to get some chisels, which I appreciate very much. I have been helped a lot Dave Paine helped me to figure out my table saw problems. It seems that everyone here has patience with me even though I am a very slow woodworker and often lose interest in a build lol. Rayking helped me when I had to do a dutchman to hide where I drilled through the side of a floor lamp I was building. In short, people on this forum are always here to help me along no matter how frustrating and annoying I am. And I can be annoying just ask Dominick and Sawdustfactory lol.

"Courage is not knowing about when to take a life, but knowing when to spare it."

Last edited by Tommie Hockett; 05-07-2013 at 04:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tommie Hockett For This Useful Post:
Phaedrus (05-07-2013)
post #16 of 21 Old 05-07-2013, 03:06 PM

View captainawesome's Photo Album My Photos
I can relate to what Oakwerks said. I too don't have any friends nearby that are as in to this type of woodworking as I am. I have a few friends who like construction and DIY type stuff, but it's not the same. I thought it was until I found this forum and realized what was possible when you have the right advice and descriptive tutorials. Never thought I would advance as quickly as I did, and it has only been a year.

I have WWT open on my computer all day at work, and take a look around whenever I have time. I have the app on my phone to keep me in the loop when I'm out in the factory or at home. I'm on this site so much, my wife now calls it my "woddworking ****" hahaha!
post #17 of 21 Old 05-07-2013, 04:13 PM

View Oakwerks's Photo Album My Photos
I have an iPad with me most of the time.... I assigned an alarm tone just for it....
post #18 of 21 Old 05-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
I have really enjoyed this forum. I've learned so much from all of you. I've even shared Kenbo's and Buggyman's build threads with my coworkers. I like the build threads especially seeing how others find ways to solve problems I've struggled with. I like how several people give advice, that, though they all differ, they all can work.
post #19 of 21 Old 05-07-2013, 10:20 PM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
Ah heck guys, I'm just your basically bored old man and this joint is better than Facebook.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52
post #20 of 21 Old 05-07-2013, 10:36 PM

View Paul W Gillespie's Photo Album My Photos
WWT will always be my #1 WW forum. From the start of my WW hobby, almost two years ago, you all have helped me along the way. I try and give back when I can. When a mystery spring popped up when assembling my TS, you all were here to help. Even taking photos of your saws so I could see where it went. Funny that I posted a link to my spring thread when someone with the same saw, had the same problem recently.

Good old Joebucketorust, no longer here, sent me parts for one of my first old Bailey #5's, when I was trying to restore it, and he didn't ask a thing for it. I was sad to see him leave the forum. He was a great resource for hand plane knowledge.

In my build threads, where I post lots of words and pics, you guys follow along, giving advice and encouragement.

I also did not see the latest dust up, but hope that we don't lose any of those great members that make this place special. So if you are causing trouble, stop it. Trouble makers don't last too long here anyway. If you are one of the good guys, don't be discouraged and leave. The bad apples don't last very long here at WWT.

Let's keep up the good woodworking and great community that is WWT.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul W Gillespie For This Useful Post:
hays0369 (05-08-2013)

Tags
community, morale, wwt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode